LiquidHype's Real Scale Launch Vehicles (RETIRED)

liquidhype

Which launch vehicle would you like to see next?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Which launch vehicle would you like to see next?

• Titan IV (A & B)
    • Ariane 4 (All configurations)
    • ULA Vulcan
    • Other (specify in the comments)

1 hour ago, liquidhype said:

Man, 4 times, sheesh that's dedication. I did see the image of your Delta II first stage, and it is looking fantastic. I believe I read you were going to re-do Falcon 9 FT as well. You're crazy :) Though I can definitely relate, as I have scrapped and re-modeled different launch vehicles more times than I care to admit.

Hopefully we stop being perfectionists and get to release these rockets one of these days.

Yeah, it's...well, you improve over time, and when you then look at these old, ugly models, you think - wow, how could people like *that*!?

Thanks man! :) Yep, F9 FT is going to be remade again too, I am not that happy with it heh. :D Yeah, you got 16 rockets sitting on your desk? Man, can't wait for all of those to see the daylight! Based on the extreme good quality of the above images of the various Centaur stages, I am expecting only the best. :wink:

Though I have to admit, I also got quite a bunch of rockets on my machine too, all unfinished models - from GLSV / PLSV over H-II and some early Thor/Delta versios to early Ariane versions. Some of them could need a revamp, but well..time is the limiting factor here, same as you! ^-^

Can't wait to see more of your work!

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

1 minute ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Yeah, it's...well, you improve over time, and when you then look at these old, ugly models, you think - wow, how could people like *that*!?

Thanks man! :) Yep, F9 FT is going to be remade again too, I am not that happy with it heh. :D Yeah, you got 16 rockets sitting on your desk? Man, can't wait for all of those to see the daylight! Based on the extreme good quality of the above images of the various Centaur stages, I am expecting only the best. :wink:

Though I have to admit, I also got quite a bunch of rockets on my machine too, all unfinished models - from GLSV / PLSV over H-II and some early Thor/Delta versios to early Ariane versions. Some of them could need a revamp, but well..time is the limiting factor here, same as you! ^-^

i know how you feel... i have models i work on... then i just never get back to them cause i make some thing else xD

10 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Yea I think that is the problem, we keep getting better at this over time, so we end up looking back all the time and end up criticising our own work over and over. 

You've got some ISRO lifters as well? Can you please release them some time in the future so that I don't have to? :cool: I've modeled so many rockets that at this rate I'll never be able to release all of them within a reasonable time anyways. But to be honest, I mostly spent time modeling the GSLVs, PSLV, SLV, ASLV, H-II, Proton, Delta II and all the other just because I got burnt out from the ones I'm actually planning on releasing. I mean I never intend to even put my Proton or Delta II in my game, I just modeled them to have something else to do.

But yea, just getting the rockets we are currently working on is hard enough. I have a hard time imagining any of us having ALL our other rockets ready anytime soon :P As long as I can get Ariane 5, Ariane 6, Vega, Vega-C, the Titans and Vulcan out, I'll be more than happy. The other 10+ rockets will have to wait until KSP v3.0 or something xD

9 minutes ago, Tristonwilson12 said:

i know how you feel... i have models i work on... then i just never get back to them cause i make some thing else xD

Exactly. I'm the same. As an example, last week I finally got around to texturing Vega, but after only a day I got so bored that I started texturing Ariane 5 instead. Yesterday I started texturing the new version of Ariane 6. Now those rockets are just sitting there with some parts textured and others untextured. I had to go back to Titan III today just to keep my sanity.

Edited by liquidhype

5 minutes ago, Tristonwilson12 said:

like i made this LVM3 and havnt gotten to finishing it FrI9o0b.png

Yup, that's pretty much where I left off mine as well. It was fun modeling it, but after that I got bored and moved on.

Speaking of unfinished work, this is how I left my poor Ariane 6 A62.

Edited by liquidhype

26 minutes ago, liquidhype said:

Yea I think that is the problem, we keep getting better at this over time, so we end up looking back all the time and end up criticising our own work over and over. 

You've got some ISRO lifters as well? Can you please release them some time in the future so that I don't have to? :cool: I've modeled so many rockets that at this rate I'll never be able to release all of them within a reasonable time anyways. But to be honest, I mostly spent time modeling the GSLVs, PSLV, SLV, ASLV, H-II, Proton, Delta II and all the other just because I got burnt out from the ones I'm actually planning on releasing. I mean I never intend to even put my Proton or Delta II in my game, I just modeled them to have something else to do.

But yea, just getting the rockets we are currently working on is hard enough. I have a hard time imagining any of us having ALL our other rockets ready anytime soon :P As long as I can get Ariane 5, Ariane 6, Vega, Vega-C, the Titans and Vulcan out, I'll be more than happy. The other 10+ rockets will have to wait until KSP v3.0 or something xD

Exactly. I'm the same. As an example, last week I finally got around to texturing Vega, but after only a day I got so bored that I started texturing Ariane 5 instead. Yesterday I started texturing the new version of Ariane 6. Now those rockets are just sitting there with some parts textured and others untextured. I had to go back to Titan III today just to keep my sanity.

Yeah, that's exactly it.

Oh, I have to see about the ISRO lifters, need to see how much work they'd need. But please feel free to release yours! :wink:

The way I work on my rockets is that I first model everything, and then I unwrap one part, texture it, put it in game and verify that it's working as it is supposed to (I do the real balancing later), then go back to my big blender file with the complete rocket, and work on the next part, and so on, so that I complete every part in once. This also allows me to first test each individual part, then test a couple of parts together which are already in game and then finally test the complete stack together, which makes it pretty much impossible for bugs or any problems with the textures/models to be in the release version. :)

Also, this is much more "interesting" to do than just doing all parts per phase, by first texturing them all, then setting them all up etc. I don't know how you do it, but I found it quite a nice system. ^^

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

3 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Yeah, that's exactly it.

Oh, I have to see about the ISRO lifters, need to see how much work they'd need. But please feel free to release yours! :wink:

The way I work on my rockets is that I first model everything, and then I unwrap one part, texture it, put it in game and verify that it's working as it is supposed to (I do the real balancing later), then go back to my big blender file with the complete rocket, and work on the next part, and so on, so that I complete every part in once. This also allows me to first test each individual part, then test a couple of parts together which are already in game and then finally test the complete stack together, which makes it pretty much impossible for bugs or any problems with the textures/models to be in the release version. :)

Also, this is much more "interesting" to do than just doing all parts per phase, by first texturing them all, then setting them all up etc. I don't know how you do it, but I found it quite a nice system. ^^

Yea that is what I used to do. Nowadays I model everything in one .blend file, unwrap one part, texture it, unwrap the next part, texture it, and when all parts are textured, I import them into Unity and export 1 by 1. When unwrapping and texturing I usually just bring that one part over to another layer in Blender in the same .blend file. I don't like having too many .blend files, too much chaos :P

Had some free time this weekend to work on different things. I chose to spend my time working on Vulcan, as I've grown to like it quite a lot. I mostly worked on the engines, but did get around to improve the RL10C-1 and Centaur a lot. Anyways, I'll leave a link to my Sketchfab models of the Vulcan core stage engines. Head on over if you're interested.

https://sketchfab.com/liquidhype/models

Edited by liquidhype

12 minutes ago, Arcturusvfx said:

Your attention to detail has made you one of my favorite modelers. pure skill.

I've seen your models on Sketchfab and they are fantastic as well. I especially like your SLS Block 2 and BA-330. But thank you for the kind words. Hopefully I can get around to releasing something again soon. I've gotten into a "bad habit" of spending all my free time adding a bunch of details to finished models, remodeling old models over and over, and trying to make them as accurate to real life as possible. I probably should spend less time focusing on the small stuff and spend more time texturing the finished parts and get them into the game :P Oh well

• 2 weeks later...

Just another minor update. I got bored of texturing, so I decided to finally start working on the early versions of Ariane (1-2-3). I took some rough work-in-progress images of some of the models just to show a bit of progress at least. I tend to leave people in the dark a bit too often when it comes to this mod, so I figured I'd show something.

The images are only of Ariane 3, as the two earlier versions are basically the same with the only differences being different engine variants, slightly shorter 3rd stage (in the case of Ariane 1), different placements of the retro and ullage motors and so on. I still need to do a fair bit of modeling, as there are still a few things missing, like 3rd stage ullage motors, details on the aft section of the 3rd stage, fuel line caps on the 1st stage, etc.  Anyways, enough rambling.

Edited by liquidhype

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.