[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

Said he's switching to TU, but he did that Altair that I posted that sort of precipitated your renewed interest in PBR (you had posted about improved shaders over a year ago, as I recall, maybe longer---weren't you complaining that Squad should have used more stuff Unity has at the time they updated to newer Unity?).

Anyway, @silentvelcro does really nice work.

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

ok...stupid question. how do I get the inflatable hab model cfg-10 to inflate once in orbit? what is actually required for this to work?

The right click at the VAB shows that they require X tons “rocket parts” to inflate. This represents the fact that an empty tube is not very useful, and the interior partitions and fixtures need to be added for it to be useful.

so send up a tank with a docking port that has rcs, and “configure containers” to add rocket parts. Dock, then inflate. If the number of parts is less than the total needed, it partially fills it, then you can bring more. 

Edited by tater

Clearly you can read, since we’re writing to each other.

Right click that part in the vab, it will tell you how many tons of parts. When you configure containers, it shows the number of units of parts, and the mass.

Right click the part in the part menu. That’s where parts show what they include, or things like engine Isp.

Config containers is in right clicking a tank.

I’ll write up a description with screenshot images for the SSTU wiki and add it to the station core wiki tonight.

Edited by tater

You are checking the CFG part via the part menu right click. It might even be in the description.

You only need to configure the tank part of you want a tank with some fuel and some parts. If you attach the parts tank to something that can move, then just select rocket parts as the fuel.

I’m on my phone, right now.

step by step please sir.

as in what do I install, what do I click....since I cannot seem to make it work.

AKA proper instructions.

looping me around is doing nothing but severely annoying me and making me disinclined to use this part.

Edited by RaiderMan

4 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

step by step please sir.

as in what do I install, what do I click....since I cannot seem to make it work.

AKA proper instructions.

looping me around is doing nothing but severely annoying me and making me disinclined to use this part.

1.) Right click on the HAB or CFG part.  It will tell you how many tons of resources you need.

2.) Pull out an MFT tank from the editor parts list.

3.)  RIght click on the tank.

4.)  Select 'configure containers'.

5.) Edit the contents of the container.  Put a '1' in the text box next to 'RocketParts'.  Put a '0' in any other boxes that already had a number in them.

6.) Resize the fuel tank until the container-GUi tells you you have enough tons worth of rocket parts.

7.) Launch the fuel tank, dock it with the HAB/CFG.

8.) right click on the HAB/CFG part.  Press 'inflate'.  If you had enough rocket-parts, it will inflate.   If you didn't, it will consume what you brought, and await more.  It keeps track of what was consumed, so you can launch multiple smaller shipments if you want.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.