[1.0.4] Mk3 Hypersonic Systems

nestor_d

Kerbal Engineers at N5 Aerodynamics and Space found the lack of sleeker and more diverse components for Mk3 spaceplanes disturbing, so they set out to remedy just that! This mod adds a few parts geared toward making Mk3 SSTOs more aerodynamic and look cooler!

FIRST UPDATE!

Changes:

- Added scramjet engine!

- Retextured some parts

- Added SAS to the Mk3 Hypersonic Cockpit (it's supposed to be a very advanced cockpit, seemed weird not having it)

- Removed some extra bit of code from the tank CFG that wasn't needed

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Parts included are:

1. Mk3 Hypersonic Cockpit - A stylish command pod that fits five kerbals with a much pointier shape for less drag

2. Mk3 radial attachment fuselage extensions - This essentially turns the Mk3 fuselage into a lifting body, much like the Mk2. Three parts fall into this category: A wing edge root extension, a lifting body extension and a RAM intake.

3. Hybrid high-bypass turbofan/ramjet 2.5m engine - Much like Mk2 spaceplanes use the 1.25 jet-engines, it seems only natural that Mk3 spaceplanes could rely on proportionally large jet engines. This engine is just that.

4. A 2.5m shock cone intake. Following the same logic, 2.5m intakes are needed for larger spaceplanes.

5. A 2.5 switchable LF/LFO 10m long tank - There's plenty of 2.5m tanks, but this one allows for fuel selection, very useful for spaceplanes.

6. Radial attachment scramjet engine - This is a rather large scramjet with its own intake. Like real life scramjets it will not produce thrust until it's going at high speeds. It's designed to radially attach to Mk3 fuselages, bbut as you can see on the pics, it will attach nicely to the underside of Mk2 planes as well See scramjet instructions, if needed: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132786-Update-Mk3-Hypersonic-Systems-scramjet-rebalancing?p=2164595#post2164595

Note: IVA is a provisional stand-in, it will be revamped in future updates along with more stuff!

Note 2: This mod includes Module Manager by sarabian, CrossFeedEnabler by NathanKell, and the Firespitter plugin by Snjo. CrossFeedEnabler is not absolutely essential, but the radial attachment parts include fuel, so without CrossFeedEnabler, the fuel would just be dead weight.

Note 3: Two example crafts are included, one of them (video below) requires B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts which can be found here. You should download it anyway, it's awesome!

Example craft video:

Special thanks to pandoraskitten for beta testing, one example craft, and promo video, to nli2work for his awsome video tutorials and to amankd and Theo Scott for plenty of feedback.

Please message me with any issues!

DOWNLOAD LINKS

CURSE: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/233532-mk3-hypersonic-systems

[Moderator removed defunct website link]

Future development plans:

- Proper IVA and RPM support

- Mk3 Hypersonic drone core

- Mk3 size aerospike engine

- Mk3 standard drone core

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

Kerbal Engineers at N5 Aerodynamics and Space found the lack of sleeker and more diverse components for Mk3 spaceplanes disturbing, so they set out to remedy just that! This mod adds a few parts geared toward making Mk3 SSTOs more aerodynamic and look cooler!

http://imgur.com/a/iNFHh

Parts included are:

1. Mk3 Hypersonic Cockpit - A stylish command pod that fits five kerbals with a much pointier shape for less drag

2. Mk3 radial attachment fuselage extensions - This essentially turns the Mk3 fuselage into a lifting body, much like the Mk2. Three parts fall into this category: A wing edge root extension, a lifting body extension and a RAM intake.

3. Hybrid high-bypass turbofan/ramjet 2.5m engine - Much like Mk2 spaceplanes use the 1.25 jet-engines, it seems only natural that Mk3 spaceplanes could rely on proportionally large jet engines. This engine is just that.

4. A 2.5m shock cone intake. Following the same logic, 2.5m intakes are needed for larger spaceplanes.

5. A 2.5 switchable LF/LFO 10m long tank - There's plenty of 2.5m tanks, but this one allows for fuel selection, very useful for spaceplanes.

Note: IVA is a provisional stand-in, it will be revamped in future updates along with more stuff!

Note 2: This mod includes Module Manager by sarabian, CrossFeedEnabler by NathanKell, and the Firespitter plugin by Snjo. CrossFeedEnabler is not absolutely essential, but the radial attachment parts include fuel, so without CrossFeedEnabler, the fuel would just be dead weight.

Note 3: Two example crafts are included, one of them (video below) requires B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts which can be found here. You should download it anyway, it's awesome!

Example craft video:

https://youtu.be/hgf7d8KfZdM

Special thanks to pandoraskitten for beta testing, one example craft, and promo video, to nli2work for his awsome video tutorials and to amankd and Theo Scott for plenty of feedback.

Please message me with any issues!

DOWNLOAD LINKS

CURSE: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/233532-mk3-hypersonic-systems

KERBALSTUFF: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1055/Mk3%20Hypersonic%20Systems

Future development plans:

- Proper IVA and RPM support

- Mk3 Hypersonic drone core

- Mk3 size aerospike engine

- Mk3 standard drone core

- Scramjet engine (like an actual scramjet that doesn't produce thrust until above Mach1, but after that produces insane amounts of thrust)

Can you make a Mk3 Inline Clamp-O-Tron? Preferably with a 2.5m docking port?

Just wanted to give you a heads up: I'm adding your mod to CKAN, but currently we can't include your .craft files. To be installed properly the .craft files need to be inside a folder called "SPH" (or VAB, but that doesn't really apply in this case). The easiest route is to simply create an "SPH" folder inside "Example Crafts" and put the craft in there. Of course this is just a suggestion so that users get the best experience, you don't have to follow it. =)

Just wanted to give you a heads up: I'm adding your mod to CKAN, but currently we can't include your .craft files. To be installed properly the .craft files need to be inside a folder called "SPH" (or VAB, but that doesn't really apply in this case). The easiest route is to simply create an "SPH" folder inside "Example Crafts" and put the craft in there. Of course this is just a suggestion so that users get the best experience, you don't have to follow it. =)

Thanks for adding it :) just one quick question. I did what you told me so the craft files are now on a folder called SPH which is inside the example crafts folder. I uploaded the new version to kerbalstuff already, will that be enough for it to work?

A suggestion for the Mk3 inline docking clamp: Have it be a combination of an inline retractable docking clamp on top, and an airlock on the back for the cargo-bay.

Better yet, if it could also have a docking clamp for attaching a space-capsule inside the cargo-bay, so that one could carry a command/service module into orbit in a mk3 spacecraft's cargo-bay!

Also, a 3.75m to mk3 adapter that's hollow, to allow for a cargo-hold to be continuous even through being changed from 3.75m into Mk3, would be a godsend!

Edited by StevieC
Forgot something

With some more polishing on the textures, this could compete with the other Mk3 expansions. Great work!

Well, interesting you should mention that. I've been talking with SuicidalInsanity and we decides to join efforts, since we have some if the same things planned for our mods

- - - Updated - - -

A suggestion for the Mk3 inline docking clamp: Have it be a combination of an inline retractable docking clamp on top, and an airlock on the back for the cargo-bay.

Better yet, if it could also have a docking clamp for attaching a space-capsule inside the cargo-bay, so that one could carry a command/service module into orbit in a mk3 spacecraft's cargo-bay!

Also, a 3.75m to mk3 adapter that's hollow, to allow for a cargo-hold to be continuous even through being changed from 3.75m into Mk3, would be a godsend!

The airlock is a pretty cool idea, and it's very easy to implement! I don't think putting a docking clamp on the back is really necessary, though. Since inline parts are stackable you could simply attach the docking clamp that best suits your need on the back. If you had an inbuilt docking clamp on the back it would be limited to what ever size you decide to have as a factory setting

One nitpick: your N5 fuel tank, as currently configured, has a hard dependency on Modular Fuel Tanks. Maybe it would be better to make it an LFO tank, and then break out the MFT config into a patch like you have the FSfuelSwitch module?

Ah! must have missed that! I thought of using MFT first but then I realised that FSfuelSwitch would be way easier, I must have forgotten to delete the MFT code from the config. I haven't had any trouble, though, I can witch fuel just fine, have you had trouble? In any case, I should probably delete that bit of code and update the download. Thanks! (BTW have you realised this is your post #666?)

im so happy to see this mod moving along. i cant wait to see more progress. this is the MK3 Cockpit this game Diserves.

if you are still interested in ASET (More advanced props for more advanced cockpits) then you should Pester Alexustas or look at his ASET Props pack Forum Post. would give the IVA more depth. (you could still have it so the props appear even without the ASET Pack, i have no idea how but i know its a thing)

• 2 weeks later...

hey will there be FAR support? as of now, with 'haack' version of FAR, some of the parts have lifting surface, which i dont think is supposed to exist due to FAR's aerodynamics overhaul obsoleting it, and making it highly un-suitable for use with FAR.

hey will there be FAR support? as of now, with 'haack' version of FAR, some of the parts have lifting surface, which i dont think is supposed to exist due to FAR's aerodynamics overhaul obsoleting it, and making it highly un-suitable for use with FAR.

Yes, that's planned for future updates. Most likely the next one, I don't have and ETA though, but yes.

Yes, that's planned for future updates. Most likely the next one, I don't have and ETA though, but yes.

thanks! although for now i have to uninstall MK3 hypersonic parts, ill re install them by the next update.

• 3 weeks later...

So, if anyone's following this thread, just wanted to let you know. There's some development going on, but it's been put on hold. Since 1.1 seems kind of imminent now, and we really don't know what exactly can that mean for mods, I think it's best not to release anything that's going to be a really short lived update and then require a complete overhul with the new unity engine. Maybe it's not the case and won't be that hard, but I can't know for sure, and besides, it would be nice to have a little something to add to the thing once KSP is updated :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.