[1.2] Proton-M / Breeze-M

InsaneDruid

Have to figure out CKAN integration, too

If it's on KerbalStuff, as long as you didn't uncheck the CKAN checkbox when creating the mod listing, it should get added to CKAN eventually without you needing to do anything. On the CKAN side, KerbalStuff automatically sends the request, but someone on the CKAN side has to manually add it, I think.

This is a beautifully modeled vehicle and should be an example to the community of what is possible when professional grade techniques are applied to a project from start to finish.

Chaka the monkey offers his "5 monkey paw stamps" rating of excellence!

Edited by YANFRET

Hey all, thanks for the nice words!

Just want to say, I had a conversation with Dragon01 and he gave some interesting feedback. Based on this, the next (or one of the next^^) update(s) will change the second stage RD-0210, as it will be converted into 4 single physical engines instead of acting like beeing one big engine with multiple nozzles. So Mods lile TestFlight might influence a single engine instead of one whole blob of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

just wanted to say that the mod is alive and kicking. Slowly but steady. Clamps are done researching and modelling, just need to AO bake and texture then and export everything. Don't know if I make one arm without fuel line, which is used on the side of the launch table where the rocket is loaded. Probably will do. With the clamps will come the update for the Rocket itself, like see-through fairings in VAB, smaller tweaks, like said before. Also, TKS/VA is coming along nicely.

m3Unxqm.jpg?1

(fast preview render of clamps WIP with the most basic materials)

Edited by InsaneDruid

OK, had some time to experiment with this...

OP is definitely the word I'd use for this thing. But, in my opinion, there is no such thing in KSP. Merely high-performance. :wink:

That said, MechJeb's Ascent Autopilot does NOT take kindly to the first stage. It can't seem to access the gimbals on the engines.

Yeah she packs quite a punch. Problem is though: if you build a stack the size of the proton from 2.5 and 1.25m stock parts you will get roughtly the same amount of fuel, oxidizer and mass, as the parts use the same rules for density and volume. So far, so good. But then, you need the engines to be as powerfull as they are to lift that thing. Soo.. ISP would be a place to attack the problem and cut her down a bit in terms of op-ness in the stock environment. But then, I am already lower on thrust, isp, burntime and dv than tantaresLV proton. Or arbitrarily increase the mass of the engines, like all stock parts have? Hmmm...^^

Edited by InsaneDruid

Never said the OPness was a bad thing. ;)

That said, any ideas why I can't get much pitch authority? I have the KM_Gimbal installed, as well as the additional plugin to support MechJeb, gut it still doesn't tip very much. I wind up having to do a fairly hefty orbital insertion burn (better than 1 km/s) at apoapsis...

The fairings have interesting effects when I attempt to decouple them. I get two messages that say "Fairing cannot activate when stowed" and the extended PLF (side A) just seems to slide off. The other fairing (side B) just stayed there. Could there be any conflicts here with the old school fairings mod?

Separation motors? I probably forgot to put them on...but the "side b" fairing always hangs on top of the fairing base. 

That being said if you look at the fairing separation picture on the album in the OP it shows one fairing decoupling nicely and the other one hanging on the fairing base. 

Edited by Delta_8930

I look into the fairings. Normally, you need no extra separation motors, as the fairings have invisible ones already built in (invisible thrusters, invisible flame, no damage fx) to give the fairings a torgue while the decoupler force pushes them off. The real ones do this by spring loaded pushers, therefore i have these little helper engiens hidden.

EDIT: they don't miss a thing and decouple good on the ground. It might be that the fairing sep occurs too early in flight, when air density is still high enough to let the lift of the fairing overcome the separation force. Tried decoupling the fairing around 70000m after stage 3 is lit? Real world fairing sep occurs 16 seconds after vernier ignition, 13 seconds after stage2 separation in a height of around 123km.

Edited by InsaneDruid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.