[1.2] Proton-M / Breeze-M

InsaneDruid

Quick Status:

this isn't dead, but a big influential thing named Overwatch happened, so my forum time was limited.:wink:

Besides saving the world by standing on a point for a prolonged time in a comical universe ^^ I have the IVA of the VA done to a level of detail I like, including the fold-out emergency morse key. (you wouldn't want to launch without it, would you? xD)

Iva sports about 30000 verts and 47000 tris with each of the major part-groups are of the complexity of my breeze-m core alone. So even without overwatch it took a while to research and model it, longer than I had planned. I am now in the process of UV mapping. So should be ready sometimes this summer.

On friday @Dragon01 has directed my attention to the proposed 8K82KL Proton Light launch vehicle. As this would be made from (just slightly) modified proton parts, I thought this would be a nice little thing to implement. So here we go! Enjoy the light proton - now with 100% less second stage!

That is what I modelled. And that's what makes sense, for re-designing the thrust structure and all the plumbing of the original s2 (and shorten it?) would be insane for a cost effective smaller proton. But using the top most sub-assembly of the s2 mounted on s1 instead of the truss interstage and simply lengthen s3 shouldn't be too hard and cost-intensive.

• 2 months later...

The optical differences in the launcher itself are rather minor between k and m (and the different -m subversions). Mostly the bulges around the avionics compartment on the s3. The bumpmap of s2 is rather more on the old side as it is showcasing the older, sheet metal on spars version of the fore and aft compartments of the stage, instead of the actual composite structure.

The bulges are already modelled, actually they where since the beginning. There will be a "proper" -k stage 3 in one of the next patches.

Focus now is on the long avaited TKS/VA which is still in the texturing phase, after that, a k and also the newly announced medium and light versions of the Proton will follow. Which means the already included "light" variant will be overhauled and renamed to medium and a new light variant with additional fuel tank and only 4 engines (and outrigger fuel tanks) will be made.

I updated the gitHub repository with first 1.2 compatibility patches for testing during the 1.2 pre-release time.

Antenna changes

• The Breeze-M glonass antenna now acts as a part to access kerbnet.
  • The Breeze-M telemetry antenna now acts the SAS-enabling part of the breeze.
  • The Breeze-M tracking antenna now acts as a basic communication device for the breeze.

I think putting the usability for SAS, kerbnet and even the basic antenna functions to the actual antennas instead of the breeze "probe" core itself is more engaging and logical gameplay wise, enabling these parts to fulfil an actual role that is even somewhat related to their real counterparts. The stage 3 of the proton LV (and upper stage for the "light" proton) have now built in short-range antennas like all probe cores.

RCS Update

The Breeze-M RCS modules now use the new audio and visual effects available for RCS parts.

Compatibility Changes

Rather little was needed to achieve compatibility with 1.2, as few things broke. The stages of the light ("soon to be updated with the proper medium and light variants) proton had to be renamed, as especially the light first stage gave very strange issues in-game, ranging from visual defects (half-transparent parts and world) to full crashes, that could only be fixed by renaming the parts internally, possible braking saves and/or part files. Search and replace for the following patterns can resolve these issues:

HGAProtonStage1l replace with HGAProtonLightS1

HGAProtonStage2l replace with HGAProtonLightS2

You can find updated craft files in the repository. They also include auto-strut settings and the launch vehicles are fully tanked again, as the generators in the launch pad are currently not working properly. As this mod provides parts for disposable lifters (and not stations etc) I hope and think the needed rename isn't much of an issue.

A full update of the mod will be realease when KSP 1.2 goes live.

That's a whole different upper stage, using the cryogenic oxy +RP1 block-d instead of the hypergolic breeze-m. The smaller diameter of the "fairing" bit is actually a shroud around the block-d while the actual clamshell fairing starts with the widened diameter.

So, it will need not only a different fairing (though you can get that shape approximated with the procedural fairings that all the fairing bases support), but also the block-d itself. So.. yea-ish. With big "ish" as the time spent with developing the TKS/VA shows. But it surely is a "i should do this" on my ever growing list and of course the Block-D has quite many variants used on the proton. xD

• 2 weeks later...

The hard fairings do not separate for me, I rotated the fairing base as indicated, tried everything.They decouple but don't separate. The only thing i can do is to wiggle the rocket until they fall off. I'm using Realism Overhaul.

@romanasul:

try the version from GitHub (see first post in this thread). I have updated the settings for the decoupler and the separation motors for the RO fairings. Should work better now, decouples even on a ascending rocket, though not near maxQ, obviously^^. The GitHub Version is the dev version for ksp 1.2, but it works in 1.1.x, too. A release on ckan and spacedock will follow if 1.2 goes fully live.

Edited by InsaneDruid

• 3 weeks later...

New Update is out. I could not resist and include the newly updated proposals for the Proton Medium, Light and M+ Versions.

• New Proton Medium Stage 1.
  • New Proton Light Stage 1.
  • New Proton Light/Medium Stage 2.
  • Changed UV layout for all stage1 configurations accordingly.
  • Added 5 meter fairings for proposed Proton M+ launch vehicle.
  • Breeze-M Glonass antenna is now usable for KerbNet access.
  • Breeze-M Tracking antenna is now usable for CommNet access.
  • Breeze-M Telemetry antenna now adds SAS support.
  • KerbalGPS is removed from Glonass antenna, as the mod is dead, incompatible with 1.2 and in parts replaced by KerbNet.
  • Stage 3 and Stage 2 of Proton light/medium now have internal CommNet access.
  • Adjusted fairing decoupler and separation motors for RSS.
  • Added RD253->RD275->RD275M updates that can be unlocked in R&D building.
  • Added small dark stripe between second (light/medium first) and third (light/medium second) stages, solving minor artefacting, while also improving realism.
  • Improved mesh geometry dimensional accuracy and symmetry.
  • Fixed transparency issues on Fairing Parts in VAB. Made inner side of fairings opaque again.
  • Fixed spoiler toggle animation that wasn’t working.
  • Prevented toggling of spoiler in mid-flight or on the pad.
  • Removed TRReflection module from inside of fairings.

there are no words to describe how great looking this mod is, I gave up to other famous mods to play with this one finding it simple, beautiful, had everything I needed except one thing
dunno what i'm doing wrong but unfortunely for me all your 4 rockets are always spinning, wobbling, I have zero control over them, SAS is inexistent, at least thats how it feals for me and i dunno what to do to make them work :(

@CobaltWolf: Pics are linked in the starting post, as currently there is no way to implent an album directly into a post.

@DarthVader: Version 1.2 of the mod? There are some changes included into the fairings - see above, since 5. October on GitHub, since, 1.2 in the main release. May I ask which side (A/B) hangs, and  if this is so on all the Fairings, 4Meter, 5Meter, small and extended...

@GERULA: Thanks! AS for flying her: Indeed there is no magic flywheel present in the launcher or upper stage only the gimballed engines and RCS for the briz, so she is trickier than others as you can't really hold her pointing away from prograde. But if you fly up for some moments to built up speed, then SLOOWWly turn over, throttle down a bit during first stage burn when the air is still dense time and keep her in the prograde-circle on the navbar the whole time, then it should be no problem. Use a rather steep trajectory during the first stage, stabilize before staging, hot stage (let the next stage ignite before staging (second one fully, third one only the RD0214). The third stage might even dip below the horizon while accelerating. Also note: to fly with the "hard" fairings (not the procedural ones) you NEED

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.