Sodot A Aloh!

Ursu Mare

Hello everybody! I'm not much of a reader of this forum and probably I won't be much of a writer either. Or who knows...?

I have been playing KSP (sandbox only) since the release of 1.0, although I 've heard about it around 2 years ago, I think. The first month was pretty intense, thanks to Scott Manley (bowing my head) and "Docking Port Alignment Indicator" mod. I was playing from around 2PM up to 10AM the next day, going to sleep when I couldn't keep my eyes open for a few hours and then going at it again. Before falling asleep, just one more Scott Manley tutorial. Soon I couldn't even look at the damn screen, I had to go on a trip in the mountains for a few days to clear my eyes. I cleared my eyes, but my head was full of plans for a space station, a SSTO plane, a refueling station orbiting Mun with a refinery on surface or a base (with a refinery of course).

After resuming the adventure, as things started to get more and more complex, the framerate dropped to 1-5 fps and continuing to play was simply frustrating. It was a pain in the "aft" to put together the base on Minmus and the cherry on top was after it was all done when some of it exploded right after loading from the KSC tracking facility. I had already used HyperEdit mod to erase the debris and auxiliary landing equipment that was parked near the base hoping for an improvement in framerate, but that was no help. So I "cheated" and put back the exploded module and never touched that base again. Good thing it wasn't manned yet when it exploded. Or "Kerbaled", I think is the proper term? I'm thinking of sharing some images of my concepts, but I need to summon the strength to play at 1 fps.

The game is pretty cool, apart from a few things like "rubber" parts (especially the big batteries), not being able to use a triple or double adapter at both ends of a structure (it only attaches to one of the 2/3 ends, the need for struts even when parts should be "welded" to each other, parts not attaching even when they really should, lights not rendered if there are too many lamps, no options for rescaling/resizing aerodynamic parts or changing tanks contents to other substances and ratios etc. I know there are mods to solve some of these problems, but it's annoying having to update them every damn time so I'm playing almost stock, the only parts mods are BDynamics, Aviation Lights, SCANSat, Tarsier Space Technology and Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion.

Right now I'm playing a few hours a week, just trying out a few ideas now and then, waiting for 1.1 and hoping for a major performance improvement. I didn't see any release date or maybe I was reading too much between the lines? Anybody knows when it's coming out?

Cheers!

P.S. "Sodot A Aloh!" is Kerbish for "Hello everybody!".

Performance in itself is not scheduled as an aspect of the next update, but the move to a newer version of Unity may help somewhat.

Anyway, the game is continually being tweaked and improved, though I also would like to see optimization made an emphasis.

Welcome to the forum. :D

Hello Ursu Mare, and welcome to the forums!

That's quite a bit of writing for somebody who thinks they probably won't be much of a writer. :)

Good to have you aboard, and I hope you manage to get your frame rate higher.

Happy landings!

. . .not being able to use a triple or double adapter at both ends of a structure (it only attaches to one of the 2/3 ends. . .

I use the large docking ports when I want to use an adapter on both ends of a structure. Say I'm going to use a triple adapter-- I will start with the upper one, put the parts I want on it in place, and then I put a large docking port on each of the three ends so that the docking bit faces down. I then load up a subassembly that consists of a triple adapter with a large docking port on each attachment point, and stick it on the bottom of the assembly. As you say, only one of the docking ports will actually attach, but the other two will dock when the vehicle loads onto the launch pad. It adds some extra mass, but it does work.

Welcome to the forums. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Lately the game crashes constantly, it became unplayable. I've installed a RAM monitor mod, and looks like it's going out of memory at 4GB (I have 16). If i go back and forth from the launch to the VAB 2-3 times it crashes to the desktop. I found a link for http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24536-Self-help-for-crashes-look-here-first-if-KSP-crashes but the forum says "you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:". How exactly is this forum working if the most important part is blocked? Do i need to blabla on some posts to change my rank or what? It's just stupid...

I will uninstall the game and try to start fresh, maybe something went wrong when playing around with a few mods. If not, I will remove the game completely and forget about it for a few years because this stupid 32 bit Unity engine is now beyond annoying.

Cheers!

Edited by Ursu Mare

That is a very old page with out-of-date information, so is not really much help to anyone.

There are newer and more relevant pages in the Support section for unmodded and modded installs.

If you find you are crashing frequently this usually means something is causing it, and if you provide your output_log.txt, dxdiag report, list of installed addons and their version number, and list of task manager processes we might be able to help you.