AaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Johno

spontaneous instant overheats(WTH???).
This is the sole reason I have hyperedit not to put things in orbit, but use heat editor to stop problem parts from overheating. Such as docking ports, radiators and physicsless parts. Now if only I could stop the cargo bays from shaking things apart.

Something I would really like to see is a rolling persistent.sfs file, like you see with *nix logs. Current auto-save is persistent.sfs, previous one is persistent1.sfs, one prior to that is persistent2.sfs, etc... and have the file roll over only based upon time intervals, instead of a misc event triggering a new save. That would make things a LOT easier in multiple scenarios. Corrupted saves, forgetting to quicksave (probably most common), and it would possibly be a benefit in other scenarios as well.

Why does it need to be fixed? You just need to reload the persistence save file. Or make alt+F5 saves. Having autosaves automatically save over the last quicksave would be terrible.

That's not what needs fixed. What needs fixed is that holding F9 not only loads the quicksave, but erases your current save as well. There's no going back after making that mistake, unless you (like I) make multiple saves archived by a external program, or use the clunky Alt-F5 interface (that is disturbingly close to Alt-F4, among other problems).

That's not what needs fixed. What needs fixed is that holding F9 not only loads the quicksave, but erases your current save as well. There's no going back after making that mistake, unless you (like I) make multiple saves archived by a external program, or use the clunky Alt-F5 interface (that is disturbingly close to Alt-F4, among other problems).

Personally I think this is a bug. What happens is every time the flight scene gets loaded, it will save to the persistence file as soon as it is done loading (right before you can control your craft). This seems pretty redundant considering it also does this auto-save every time it switches away from a scene (like when you go from space center to flight).

It was annoying enough finding this out will testing stuff for mod development... I'm glad it wasn't during a real game that I figured this out for myself.

Anyway, raised #5438 on Squad's tracker - lets see if they agree that it's a bug.

I make a pre-mission save at the KSC pause menu . (As well as every time I quit the game.) It can be a little more complicated if you're doing a large number of missions at once, but multiple saves can save your bum.

So do I. Then I add some "stable" save on few occasions when ships are on course or circularized. Quicksave are throwable saves I do for delicate maneuvers. One of my mods also do auto-"backup" saves of persistent and Quick. I think it's KAC, but I'm not sure.

You know what would be cool? A mod like Dmagic13's Sensible Screenshots that - when you hit F5 - saves not only quicksave.sfs (so you can F9 to resume) but also quicksave-yyyy-mm-dd--hh-mm-ss.sfs (so you have a full archive of all the times you thought something important enough was going to happen that you wanted a save).

I'm kind of impressed by that weird portmanteau of mine and DMagic's name that you managed to do there. I should point out that DMagic had nothing to do with Sensible Screenshots, it was just me :P And if you look right under Sensible Screenshots there is a mod that I made called Dated Quicksaves that renames the quicksaves to add the in-game date and time to the filename (while keeping the original quicksaves.sfs file so F9 works). It's been there since July ;)

It doesn't yet support defining your own filenames like Sensible Screenshots does, but I'll be transitioning it over to use the same format that Sensible Screenshot uses soonTM so that you can have it auto-name as whatever you want.

To be honest this is something that happens quite often... I think the save game system could be tweaked a bit to prevent this...

There was a big discussion thread about this a while ago but, unfortunately, it got locked for various reasons (mostly because some people are unable to read or understand plain English).

There was a big discussion thread about this a while ago but, unfortunately, it got locked for various reasons (mostly because some people are unable to read or understand plain English).

Thanks, I linked that one too in the issue I raised.

I'm kind of impressed by that weird portmanteau of mine and DMagic's name that you managed to do there.

By your powers combined, I am Captain Modder! (now we just need to get you and DMagic some rings).

Hello,

I think I ran into this problem once...autosaves...quicksaves ... then load up an incorrect save ... the list goes on...

Simple fix for computer savvy folk ... I always make a backup of my gamesaves folders I am so paranoid with this game in this respect ...and this post is just one reason why.

If and when I reach major milestones in my Career Missions (not Science Mode; and I run hardcore with my own parts placements in the TREE), I do a gamesaves folder save...I never have a major meltdown due to a game glitch; people who dont save due to game glitch krakens are just plain, well, good luck to 'em heh ...

There are also tricks in saving those files; like a few renames etc but saving the games folders to me is a no-brainer.

Cmdr Zeta

Two things:

I'm kind of impressed by that weird portmanteau of mine and DMagic's name that you managed to do there. I should point out that DMagic had nothing to do with Sensible Screenshots, it was just me :P

Oops! :D

And if you look right under Sensible Screenshots there is a mod that I made called Dated Quicksaves that renames the quicksaves to add the in-game date and time to the filename (while keeping the original quicksaves.sfs file so F9 works). It's been there since July ;)

Double oops! But this time I blame you. Your "modlets" are far too useful to all be in one thread. :D

Here's what I want in a save system:

1) Autosave every X minutes, where X can be set by the user, or disabled entirely.

2) All saves have a time-date stamp in a human readable format. eg "09_22_2015_1756.sav". (Real-world time, not game time).

3) Quick-save button which does manually does an autosave.

4) Quick-load which loads the most recent quick-save.

5) A save game loading window that lists all the saves, with 1) Game time; 2) Funds; 3) Science points; 4) Reputation.

Here's what I want in a save system:

1) Autosave every X minutes, where X can be set by the user, or disabled entirely.

2) All saves have a time-date stamp in a human readable format. eg "09_22_2015_1756.sav". (Real-world time, not game time).

3) Quick-save button which does manually does an autosave.

4) Quick-load which loads the most recent quick-save.

5) A save game loading window that lists all the saves, with 1) Game time; 2) Funds; 3) Science points; 4) Reputation.

I like all these things except #2. Year should be first, followed by month, then day. That way the files, when sorted by name, are also sorted by time.

Oh also some sort of date/file number limit so it auto purges old files.

Currently working on getting Dated Quicksaves and Sensible Screenshots to use the same core mod for parsing things (which will let Dated Quicksaves have all the same options for filenames without any extra work). Next Dated Quicksaves release will also have max number of files and maybe maximum storage space used and/or maximum age of files. Probably just max number of files to keep at first.

We'll see about getting a configurable autosave feature in there as well ;)

Edit: Good news everybody! Not ready for release yet (maybe tomorrow if I'm not too busy), but Dated QuickSaves and Sensible Screenshot are both happily working together with a common mod for translating the filename templates into the desired filenames, which means you'll be able to use real time, game time, KSP verision, vessel name, etc in the filenames for the quicksaves now as well as the screenshots.

Additionally, I figured why not and added in configurable autosaves (configure the amount of time between saves and the names) AND added an option to limit the number of quicksaves/autosaves that are kept (not filesize or age yet though).

Brief testing seemed promising, but I don't have the time right this moment to go through the annoying process of updating everything. I'll try to get them out tomorrow evening :)

Edited by magico13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.