Silly little things

SpacedCowboy

Not talking about big bugs here, just those little annoying quirks in the basic game play that may or may not affect you. Things like; reverting back to a launch and the camera puts you K's away from the launch pad. Thankfully all you have to do is just zoom back in. Or, your'e building an unmanned probe and the engineer report keeps telling you "No Ladder"! ( Iv'e been known to stick the little ladder on somewhere just to keep them happy) Got anymore of these?:rolleyes:

This is so petty, but here I go. That you can't throttle the engines, or stage in mapview unless the navball is raised, combined with the fact the Navball starts lowered when you first change to map view. Meaning, you'll be launching, as usual in ship view, have to change view and for a second have no throttle/staging control... also it always seems to me that moment when you change from outside view to map view is usually at a critical throttle/stage moment.

Don't get me wrong, I've never lost a rocket because of it, and I'm sure efficiency losses are minimal.... but it just gets on my goat. Why can't you either A) throttle with the Navball lowered, B) have the Navball start raised, who uses mapview without it raised?

Well I don't know if these qualify as quirks but they're definitely annoying

• When you try and mount a ladder and your kerbal gets flung off at several thousand times the speed of light
  • When SAS manages to waste all of your RCS fuel trying to hold an orientation before you even manage to start translation
  • The fact that the SAS will happily sit there wildly overcorrecting for several minutes before getting to a point where it will wobble indefinitely around the marker
  • When you have two much torque for your mass and the SAS just jiggles its way around in circles completely ignoring what you told it to do
  • When the SAS prograde/retrograde etc. hold things stop working until you reload the craft
  • When you have so many mods that you dread updates because they won't add anywhere near as much as the mods they'll break
  • When you have so many mods that loading takes upwards of 10 minutes and you can't live without any of them
  • The constant framerate drops around large craft that cause EVAing kerbals to accelerate to ridiculous speeds under their own manoeuvring packs and use all of their fuel
  • That actually pretty rare bug where the centre of mass slowly moves further and further behind a craft and you're left piloting a ship that's 1km out of shot with physics behaving in absolutely bizarre ways

- Navball in map view sunken in + blocking input - total superflous and every flight I have to pull it up, every single one

- Butt-black planet shadows in map view. Map is for navigation and therefore there should be some ambient light so that i can actually see something, for example where KSC is when it's night

- Destroying action groups when mirrored parts are detached and re-attached and declaring that total stupidity as 'intentional'. If I want control on a single part I attach a single part!

- Inconsistent part design, for example 1.25m mono tank not side attachable while all other 1.25m tanks and the same looking 0.625m tank is side attachable

- SAS, SAS and SAS, and probably SAS

- Unfinished stuff getting into release version like the medium and large gears which lack turning wheels, steering and lights

- unreasonable balance like the old rover wheels weighing 75kg while the much larger gray ones are 50kg a pop

- Super sub genious flight UI with altitude displayed on top and speed on bottom of screen. Any engineer designing a dashboard like that in aviation would get fired ASAP. Of course all important information has to be displayed in one place. You always have to look up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down when trying to land somewhere. How retarded!

- 'Disable Crossfeed' on docking ports ignored and people seriously trying to explain this is intended or this has been in always which means it's a Bug since ... always, guys grow a brain and then think about what the words 'disable crossfeed' mean!

- Missing close window buttons in some UI-windows such as the new scanner UI or the review science stuff window. ... do i have to right click the scanner part to toggle it there off? Anyone find a more tedious way? Or click thru all that science stuff ...

- Lack of Multi Function Display (MFD) that displays most important current trajectory info and current target info in external view as well as in internal view as instrument (HarvesteR should not only have advertised KSP in Orbiter forum but also played it).

- totally sub-average coding of parts of the program (resource lag) which should never have made it into a release version -> total dev and QA fail!

- and so on and so forth, I bet I forgot quite a few things

- SQUADs track record of not fixing anything of the above which shows major disrespect of paying customers

This is so petty, but here I go. That you can't throttle the engines, or stage in mapview unless the navball is raised, combined with the fact the Navball starts lowered when you first change to map view. Meaning, you'll be launching, as usual in ship view, have to change view and for a second have no throttle/staging control... also it always seems to me that moment when you change from outside view to map view is usually at a critical throttle/stage moment.

Don't get me wrong, I've never lost a rocket because of it, and I'm sure efficiency losses are minimal.... but it just gets on my goat. Why can't you either A) throttle with the Navball lowered, B) have the Navball start raised, who uses mapview without it raised?

Conversely, that in the map view Shift+Tab cycles backwards through the vessels and planets. With the navball raised Shift also throttles up. That has cost me the mission before.

I can't see any good way to resolve it other than finding totally new keys for throttle.

Why can't you either A) throttle with the Navball lowered, B) have the Navball start raised, who uses mapview without it raised?

I do.

I'm often using the Steam overlay at the same time as playing KSP, and the mapview default is a lifesaver for me. If I try to activate the overlay with the navball up (shift-tab) I also throttle up, and there goes my beautiful trajectory and most of my gas on a super-low power setting that I don't notice while I'm busy chatting to my pals. I could of course remap the shortcut, but that would be confusing for everything else I play, or I could hit escape and bring up the pause menu, but then again I could hit 'M' and bring up something useful, i.e. the map! Also, not having the biggest computer display in the world, I find the navball often gets right in the way when I'm trying to adjust manoeuvre nodes with a good view of the whole trajectory, i.e. with the node near the bottom of the display. I only really bring the navball up in mapmode during ascent to check my trajectory and keep an eye on my attitude, when I want a quick readout of my next burn dV while I'm adjusting it, or if I'm letting MJ do the flying, i.e. I'm looking at a projection in mission control :wink:.

When in map view, I can't select the filters (probes, landers, flags, etc...) without the navball being raised.

When I'm flying a probe, and the display of probes is off in map view, and I can't see the active vessel. Seems like the active vessel should always be displayed.

When I'm reading the Kerbal forums, and certain posters need to lace their comments with so much snark it instantly sours a perfectly constructive thread.

When I'm switching to my planned Laythe glider craft in orbit from the tracking station and a couple parts of the wings go poof. F3 reveals that they impacted the launchpad while in orbit. It is one of the few mission breaking bugs that has made me crack a smile.

You know in the VAB when you mouse over something a little textbox appears telling you what that is? Sometimes when you move the mouse the textbox refuses to disappear.

Similarly, sometimes when I mouse over a part in the staging diagram, the corresponding part on the craft will continue to glow green even after I've moved the mouse.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the SAS is just terrible, always overshooting, over-correcting, wiggling around, etc. Why can't it be nice and smooth like MechJeb's Smart ASS?

Conversely, that in the map view Shift+Tab cycles backwards through the vessels and planets. With the navball raised Shift also throttles up. That has cost me the mission before.

I can't see any good way to resolve it other than finding totally new keys for throttle.

I personally hit > one time to go to 5x time warp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.