What's the easiest way to cheat docking?

Two simple ways to dock:

1. Only works if docking port is coaxial with the main engine. Bring two ships close to each other (~10 m) and not moving relative to each other. Point their docking ports at each other. Burn about 1 m/s on one ship towards the other. If you are lined up properly, the ships will dock.

2. MechJeb docking autopilot. Inefficient, but mostly works.

Make sure your RCS ports arnt bugged. I actually have one that induces roll anytime its fired. Couldnt figure out what was going on until I pulled up the RCS build aid and checked to make sure. Found out it was that particular RCS port and the ones placed at 45 degrees didnt have that problem.

The Mechjeb Smart A.S.S module can also help without entirely doing it for you. Right click the target docking port and set it as the target, and then "control from here" on the port on the controlled ship you want to dock with. Now use MechJeb's target "TGT/PAR-" alignment, which will try to keep your rotation in line with the port, so you only have to worry about translation (assuming your RCS isn't too far out of balance).

Also, get NavyFish's docking port alignment indicator, if you don't already have it.

Two simple ways to dock:

1. Only works if docking port is coaxial with the main engine. Bring two ships close to each other (~10 m) and not moving relative to each other. Point their docking ports at each other. Burn about 1 m/s on one ship towards the other. If you are lined up properly, the ships will dock.

2. MechJeb docking autopilot. Inefficient, but mostly works.

I was able to get the ship docked after angrily launching the ship at the station for 30 minutes. For the future though, I will use mechjeb once it's unlocked.

Don't take this the wrong way, Clockwork13, but there's so many possible reasons why you're having problems with docking that using a cheat or autopilot or whatever may not help you much at all.

Docking is a really tough thing to learn - this is one of the biggest bricks in the learning wall AFAIC - but once you've got it figured out, u realise why what you were doing before was going wrong.

I strongly urge you not to give up. Watch some tutorials. Dig up a walkthru, or download some ships or a save file - there's plenty of people here, including me, who'd be happy to create one for you - that has 2 crafts with a proper thruster arrangement, ready to make the ship with two tails.

This is generally my method too. You need precisely zero monoprop to dock a ship that has a correctly placed centre of thrust, with the docking port on the front of it.

RCS is only really needed if you have imbalanced, craft or off-centre docking ports. Even then, vernors can offer a single-axis translation that burns LFO rather than MP :)

Beware that MechJeb may waste a lot of RCS to dock. You can do much more efficently by doing it manually. There is a very usefull mod to help docking: something like "Port Docking Aligmenent".

I usually dock my 7 tons (3 tons empty) lander with less than 4 units of RCS, even not tryiong to be efficient. I also dock my 60 tons refueler with 20 to 30 RCS fuel.

Be gentle on the RCS thrusters. Go slow, use timewarp instead of using more RCS to go faster.

You could try learning how to dock the same way I did it.

Make and launch a simple rocket, but make the orbiter in two parts that are docked together in the VAB, both need SAS and reaction wheels or RCS to keep steady, one part definitely needs RCS thrusters and monoprop, don't forget batteries.

This is your training craft, put this in orbit.

Save the game (use modkey(alt on Windows)+F5), make sure SAS is on and undock, target the other vessel by double clicking on it and make sure your speed indicator is in "target" mode (click on it to cycle).

Don't go far, just use RCS to back off from the other section a few meters, then thrust towards it with RCS so you approach slowly.

As you'd be in "Staging" mode, H and N control your forwards and backwards thrust, gentle taps are all that's necessary.

Practice a few times, you can reload with modkey+F9 if things go wrong.

Then try more interesting things such as turning around first before redocking, translating sideways and back, doing a loop around the target vessel...

Get used to repositioning the camera to the sides, above/below and behind to see if you're lined up, and don't overlook fixed camera mode, it's great for this.

Above all, take it slow, docking is not something you can do fast, you need time to consider your next move.

I can confirm that this actually works. I had to learn it a while ago after forgetting to add RCS fuel to a tanker.

(Yes, I was too lazy to restart the mission with a properly-designed tanker.)

(And yes, I managed to dock with just main engine burns.)

Don't take this the wrong way, Clockwork13, but there's so many possible reasons why you're having problems with docking that using a cheat or autopilot or whatever may not help you much at all.

Docking is a really tough thing to learn - this is one of the biggest bricks in the learning wall AFAIC - but once you've got it figured out, u realise why what you were doing before was going wrong.

I strongly urge you not to give up. Watch some tutorials. Dig up a walkthru, or download some ships or a save file - there's plenty of people here, including me, who'd be happy to create one for you - that has 2 crafts with a proper thruster arrangement, ready to make the ship with two tails.

I didn't give up. Like I said, I kind of wanted to avoid cheating because that kind of takes the pride out of a career save. I just got frustrated and was considering cheating due to how my ship's RCS wasn't doing what I intended it to do.

I've docked before, but probably the biggest issue is that I was using a heavy ship with only 4 rcs thrusters at the top of it, which is probably why I started spinning.

Besides monopropellant, patience is probably the most important resource for docking. :)

Besides monopropellant? Why would you waste precious capacity on that just for docking ;)? I dock using the main engines most of the time, unless it's just a really strange shaped build.

Every time I try using RCS, i find myself either spinning, going the wrong direction, or both.

It took me a second to realize but your prograde is everything. Once you figure it out, docking is as simple as a letting a cow stand in the middle of a room that is exactly the size of the cow, and the room doesn't let the cow sit or move in any direction.

1) Target your destination.

2) Rendezvous using thrusters and get within 500 or fewer meters from target.

3) Right click on the docking port you want to connect to (on the other vessel) and select it as the new target.

4) Aim at retrograde and kill your thrust. Depending on your vessel mass and your thrust to weight, you may use main thrusters at low or RCS. Only go towards it.

5) Aim at the new target (or any direction you need to go to make it to that target, if the vessel happens to be large and you need to make your way around it, for example).

Here is the magic:

When you are at low speeds relative to the target (5 m/s or fewer (higher is possible, too)), you do not have to turn to face the retrograde/prograde to make it an as perfect as possible forward movement. In fact, turning too much, with or without RCS, changes the direction of travel a lot of the time.

Instead, point at the direction you want to go, period; whether that is the target or beyond it.

Make your prograde aim that direction as much as you can by engaging thrusters/RCS forward ONLY. Try to stay under 10m/s. If you are not heading directly towards that target and you are heading, say, just left of it, then engage your linear, left facing RCS to correct your forward movement and scoot your prograde over into the direction you are facing/want to travel. As you slow down when you approach, you start having to micromanage in the same way.

Heading downward when you don't want to? Use your downward facing RCS.

Poof! (magic)

6) Re-aim and re-adjust as necessary to dock.

7) Make sure SAS is turned off when trying to connect to the other port, but have it on the rest of the time.

*Also, if I have to turn, I like to turn off RCS and use only reaction wheels. This reduces the amount your ship changes its forward direction.

Edited by Friend Bear

I didn't give up. Like I said, I kind of wanted to avoid cheating because that kind of takes the pride out of a career save. I just got frustrated and was considering cheating due to how my ship's RCS wasn't doing what I intended it to do.

I've docked before, but probably the biggest issue is that I was using a heavy ship with only 4 rcs thrusters at the top of it, which is probably why I started spinning.

Yes absolutely. All your RCS thrusters need to be arranged around the CoM in an even pattern. The SAS does try to autobalance RCS thrust to help avoid spins, but putting all the thrusters on one side of the CoM is kinda like flying a plane with wings on only one side.

This is one of the great things about KSP, what you originally assume must be a 'docking' problem actually turns out to be a design problem caused (probably) by inexperience - this is exactly what RL space programs go thru, meeting obstacles that they just haven't allowed for or anticipated, because nobody had ever done it before.

This is also what I meant about there being many possible causes and an autopilot couldn't help much - unbalanced RCS is one of those things that an autopilot just can't fix by being a better pilot than you are.

Besides monopropellant? Why would you waste precious capacity on that just for docking ;)? I dock using the main engines most of the time, unless it's just a really strange shaped build.

Unless you build ant-sized ships, what on earth would be a "precious capacity?" The monoprop tanks in most capsules give me ample MP for the entire mission. How much MP does docking cost at best? 2 units? 3?

This has never been an issue for me, but I see it pop up frequently on the forums... Just select 4-way symmetry and slap it on the rocket.

Maybe all your rockets are lightweights. Badly arranged RCS creates a torque moment, which can be corrected by a strong reaction-wheel input by the SAS. Also, thruster blocks can generate some counter-torque by using other jets to combat the roll, but this will consume mono way faster than necessary.

Picture a full Jumbo-64 tank with 8 RCS blocks in 4-way symmetry, 4x top and 4x bottom. This is nice and balanced. Thumbs up.

Now picture the same tank with 8x top. See the problem? Any thrust to translate up/down is basically identical to the rotate thrust to change pitch attitude, and there's sweet FA you can do about it, because ur design is flawed.

Unless you build ant-sized ships, what on earth would be a "precious capacity?" The monoprop tanks in most capsules give me ample MP for the entire mission. How much MP does docking cost at best? 2 units? 3?

Well, at best docking uses 0 mono. Also 2 crafts with different masses will use wildly different amounts of mono the same change in velocity. Kudos on your cheapo docking skills, but discussing 'at best' is kinda pointless.

For me, monoprop is there to be used. I'd rather carry a big tank and use none of it than carry none and need more. I'd also rather use up what monoprop I've brought than take it all home, and I'd much rather save my LF+O for other burns than wheedle it all out on puny correction burns at great length and effort for something that would have been a piece of cake with 30 mono instead.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.