[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I think work on a stockalike Titan/Saturn family.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I'm going back and forth somewhat on what I want to do - stockalike versions of real rockets or completely original things. Somewhere between the two makes me happiest but I feel that other people would not be particularly happy. Also, once Atlas I / V are out, I'm planning on taking a break from launchers to work on other parts of the project - some more probe parts and other goodies. That probably won't happen BUUUUTTT...

In other news... 0.05b is out now on Kerbalstuff!

This update should fix the compatibility issues between DMagicOrbitalScience and BDB. Nobody reported it, but the same issue caused a compatibility error between us and FASA which has also been corrected. Also included is the new B109-D model - incidentally, that is NOT the Atlas vernier. That is getting it's own part.

Also new - I'm going to start throwing up test release folders. They're basically going to be straight pulls from my dev gamedata folder of BDB and its dependencies. I'll upload them whenever I need something tested or want balance feedback before a release. Feel free to grab them, report bugs, give feedback, etc - just bear in mind they are not intended to be playable releases. Don't try and use them on a save you care about. (in other words, DO report problems, DON'T expect support, if that makes sense)

The first one is available here. They'll also be linked in the OP.

Wanted to chime in and say I absolutely love these parts, and especially the new science parts which I think deserve some CSS treatment. Its always nice to see more high quality stockalike mods.

Oh, and I also wanted to ask if you planned on doing more parts for the Explorer-like probe in the mod? It'd be nice to have some solid way of pairing it with a 1.25m booster.

Edited by G'th

Wanted to chime in and say I absolutely love these parts' date=' and especially the new science parts which I think deserve some CSS treatment. Its always nice to see more high quality stockalike mods.

Oh, and I also wanted to ask if you planned on doing more parts for the Explorer-like probe in the mod? It'd be nice to have some solid way of pairing it with a 1.25m booster.[/quote']

CSS treatment..?

I'm hesitant to add more to Sienno; there was a good bit of discussion about it earlier in the thread. Simply put, it's not a particularly useful part and I don't want to add more parts just to enable one or two launches early in the game. There are probably going to be more parts coming but it'd be a side effect of added more parts for other probe stuff; I'm not adding anything else just for the sake of the Sienno parts.

My recipe for the day.

Take 1 Mk1 Command pod with optional LES.

Add 1 x Muo 2585 Fuel Tank with Rockomax Adapter

Add 1 X Atlas Sustainer Engine

Add 2 x Atlas Booster Engine

Add 2 x B-109D Radial Engines

RESULT = 100km stable orbit with fuel to spare.

My friend, your dev engines are balanced PERFECTLY...at least for my style of play.

Good Job :cool:

My recipe for the day.

Take 1 Mk1 Command pod with optional LES.

Add 1 x Muo 2585 Fuel Tank with Rockomax Adapter

Add 1 X Atlas Sustainer Engine

Add 2 x Atlas Booster Engine

Add 2 x B-109D Radial Engines

RESULT = 100km stable orbit with fuel to spare.

My friend, your dev engines are balanced PERFECTLY...at least for my style of play.

Good Job :cool:

Huh. I forgot I left those in there. Well, I'm trying to finish the engines today. It's worth noting that the Atlas I is going to be 1.875m and not 2.5m like the Muo parts. With that said the Muo fuel tank by itself is shorter than an Atlas I would be so the fuel amount is probably close.

EDIT: I have fixed the design issue that was causing errors with the center RL-10 on the Centaur mounting plate. It's going to be a bit before the fix sees the light of day but just know that won't be a problem once it's released.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Science working properly.

Though may I ask, are you going to give the centaur proper names?

- - - Updated - - -

IE: Kerbal names

Yes, they're all going to get names. If you have Centaur you're running a test release not an official one. Don't go running off to a career save or something. :)

Migraine. Head hurts. Forced atlas and centaur parts out. Not tested. Art unfinished. New dev release. Download here.

EDIT: Doesn't work. Stand by. Will upload new version in a bit.

EDIT2: Works now more or less. It's ugly. Payload ratings for 1.875m Atlas are about where they should be so that's cool. I'm going to take a nap. Download here.

p0rtqfK.png

Oz3Esp2.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

MechJeb REALLY doesn't like orbiting the new Atlas parts...Jeb has exploded five times and the sustainer has been ripped off by the decoupler half a dozen times :blush:

You have to manually fly this kit into orbit and drop the boosters in upper atmosphere to make it safely.

I LOVE IT!!! :cool:

MechJeb REALLY doesn't like orbiting the new Atlas parts...Jeb has exploded five times and the sustainer has been ripped off by the decoupler half a dozen times :blush:

You have to manually fly this kit into orbit and drop the boosters in upper atmosphere to make it safely.

I LOVE IT!!! :cool:

Really? Huh. I feel like that shouldn't happen.

I'm running Deadly Re-entry...if I drop the boosters in the lower atmosphere the decoupler spins and takes the sustainer engine with it.

The parts have a nasty habit of overheating and exploding at high speeds too...you can't go full throttle with a light payload or Mk1 pod attached or BOOM!! :)

Edited by Kalidor

Dont worry about pushing out a update, it is not that bad to wait a little bit longeryou could alsways postpone the update a week and just show a picture of somthing

What he said...

It's a Dev build after all...I was just providing feedback. :)

Dont worry about pushing out a update, it is not that bad to wait a little bit longeryou could alsways postpone the update a week and just show a picture of somthing
What he said...

It's a Dev build after all...I was just providing feedback. :)

^^This. I put them out so that people could figure out if everything was working as intended while I finish the art assets - which, mind, are far from done. I'm still shooting for a release before Nov 10th but I have a lot of other stuff on my plate at the moment. As usual I'll post if I make any progress.

EDIT: Apparently the AN120 antenna was accidentally left in the version on Kerbalstuff. Don't use it; I forgot to delete the config on my end.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Hey people! Sorry for the bump, but for anyone interested, I want more feedback on the balancing of the Atlas/Centaur parts, as well as any bugs y'all find in the current dev release. Art is progressing slowly when I find time for it, but I'm still more or less on schedule. Working here and there for the next couple days, then smash it on Thursday. I'd like to be able to just release it smoothly as soon as I finish the models + textures. Dev release is downloadable here. This is the same one as Thursday's so if you have it already that's great! :)

FOR NEXT RELEASE:

-Implement Curt's suggestions on page 23

-Finish Centaur parts

-One of the tank ends is offset too far in, leaving a gap.

-Add tweakscale to Centaur parts

-Tweak / finish textures

-Fairing texture is bad

-color pallet for mounting plate + engine

-Redo the nozzle texture

-Fix mounting plate fairing (needs to be shortened)

-Thrust effects for RL-10 need to be moved down

-Finish Atlas I parts

-Finish modeling parts

-Fuel tanks

-Use common tank top as in centaur parts.

-Adapter tank

-LR-101 Vernier (10 thrust, 10degree gimbal)

-Add LR-101 stack, no gimbal, small thruster for probes whatever. Just reuses the nozzle without the mounting housing.

-UV unwrap parts

-Texture parts

-Add tweakscale to Atlas parts where appropriate

-Implement any additional feedback from the forums

-Add proper kerbal names / descriptions for all new parts

Okay, a bit of a problem. The Stock science and DMscience while fixed. Science revisited revisited is busted. Still excited for the next part :D

How is it broken? I just downloaded it to take a look and there is nothing in there that affects the BDB parts. I need more information in order to understand what the problem is.

Ok. I don't have time to be booting up the game a bunch of times today (in the middle of animation homework) but I'd like to have this fixed in the next update.

1)Does this happen with only stock, SRR and BDB?

2)If it does, then what happens if you delete the 'sciencedefs_compatibility.cfg' file from the Bluedog_DB folder?

3)What happens if the Bluedog_DB/Resources folder is deleted?

Edited by CobaltWolf

Getting some work done on the fairing. Texture is mostly done, then need to finish the fuel tanks and the vernier, then it should be a straight shot to cleaning everything up for release!

zU0sOhI.png

EDIT: Some more work on the fuel tanks.

3Cx9jO7.png

Edited by CobaltWolf