[1.1.3] MKS Lite - A lighter, friendlier colonization mod from USI [0.4.4]

RoverDude

Hey 'Dude, finally got a few minutes to play around with the new stuff and uhh.  I can't build anything, apparently.  Your notes on GitHub say that RocketParts are replaced with MaterialKits and SpecializedParts (I switched to MKS Lite to reduce parts counts and thus reduce framerate droppage) but..  The Launchpads stuff, not acknowledging anything.  And if I put my Freight kontainers to SpecializedParts, they don't have anything.  Like, they don't register as having any space in them for things to be filled, thereby preventing me from using EPL to build anything at all..

7 hours ago, RoverDude said:

You need to use a drill not a wrench

Yes Screwdriver/Drill works instead of wrench. I'm sure I tried that :-(

Also: because I got all of the latest builds (CKAN) I'm also having the same problem  "Kershu5" is having with Extraplanetry Launchpads, I see Material Kits instead of Rocket Parts and can't seem to build anything.  {MKS Lite 2.1.0 and EPL 5.2.94}

8 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Do not use CKAN to install this please, it's a support issue spawner

Yup - you're right about CKAN. I installed all of the mods manually and I'm now able to build stuff with EPL. Thanks :-)

...but I now I think there might be various things wrong with the AgModule and HabModule. I just wasn't able to get things producing a surplus of supplies so I dug down into the MKSL_AgModule.cfg and MKSL_HabModule.cfg files.

1. The action "Start Life Support" on both of the modules doesn't have any output resource
  2. Neither module seems to implement the support chain indicated on the MKS Lite wiki (https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS-LITE/wiki/Base-Building-Parts)
  3. I had to increase the ratios for both the output of Fertilizer and also Supplies to get a reasonable level output.

I can see stuff in the change logs about "Organics" being deprecated but it feels like this change hasn't yet rippled through everything yet.

Is there any way we can tell MKS or EPL to just acknowledge the use of MaterialKits for now, 'Dude?  Since SpecializedParts don't even show up as a thing you can fill your freight with.

e: while I'm thinking about it, there going to be a way for use to use the nuclear reactors that are bundled into the pack?  I love those things but this doesn't let me refined Enriched Uranium.

Edited by Kershu5

30 minutes ago, Kershu5 said:

Is there any way we can tell MKS or EPL to just acknowledge the use of MaterialKits for now, 'Dude?  Since SpecializedParts don't even show up as a thing you can fill your freight with.

You can change the "Kontainer" in the VAB to allow "Specialized Parts" and fill it there, but I don't know how to create Specialized parts off-Kerbin yet (MKS Lite 0.2.1.0, EPL 5.2.94).

I haven't tried building anything to 100% yet this time around though...

1 hour ago, Kershu5 said:

e: while I'm thinking about it, there going to be a way for use to use the nuclear reactors that are bundled into the pack?  I love those things but this doesn't let me refined Enriched Uranium.

This is fixed in the new release :)

Can't transfer crew from hap to agro.  All connected by hubs and tubes and all powered up.  When I click hab and "transfer crew" I can select a kerbal and module turns orange.  I can mouse over agro and it turns blue, but the kerbal can't actually be transferred.  But or missing step?

Given the colossal intake of Supplies by Kerbals now (if my calculations are correct, roughly 16.4 supply a day per Kerbal?!) that means having to take TONS of food everywhere you go without modifying it, RoverDude.  Like..  Just horrendous quantities.  And what does this "Habitation" thing mean/do?

...and that's why there are recyclers built in (which reduce the supply requirements), and also have ways of creating new supplies (which have been buffed to match the new supply levels.  Habitation is an expression of how long a Kerbal is willing to live in a given base and is a function of it's components as well as how much of that base you have stuffed with crew.

OK, now TAC is giving me fits.  I have a waste container linked in.  When I run "recycle" on hab, it complains about not having mulch.  When I run agroponics, it complains about no fertilizer.  So, first question is how is TAC waste converted to life support?  Is a background process that we don't need to turn on or something else?  Are mulch and fetilizer involved?  If so, how do I make mulch from TAC?  Also. the description of a hab module mentions machinery to use TAC, but then the wiki and this thread says machinery not required.

any help appreciated.

13 hours ago, mjl1966 said:

OK, now TAC is giving me fits.  I have a waste container linked in.  When I run "recycle" on hab, it complains about not having mulch.  When I run agroponics, it complains about no fertilizer.  So, first question is how is TAC waste converted to life support?  Is a background process that we don't need to turn on or something else?  Are mulch and fetilizer involved?  If so, how do I make mulch from TAC?  Also. the description of a hab module mentions machinery to use TAC, but then the wiki and this thread says machinery not required.

any help appreciated.

Log a github issue and I will take a look

5 hours ago, Kershu5 said:

I'm not seeing where I can refine Enriched Uranium from..  Anything, actually, for MKS L, RoverDude, even though the Reactors are included in the download?

Shipped in, containers are provided, and you can perform maintenance to refill it.  But generation of new EnrichedUranium is not included as it would just make this a bit too complex. 

On 22/1/2016 at 3:33 AM, mjl1966 said:

Can't transfer crew from hap to agro.  All connected by hubs and tubes and all powered up.  When I click hab and "transfer crew" I can select a kerbal and module turns orange.  I can mouse over agro and it turns blue, but the kerbal can't actually be transferred.  But or missing step?

Same problem here, after looking on standard MKS agro parts, i have spotted some missing lines in MKS-Lite agro config. (Don't know if both MKS and MKS-L agro part have to be the same?)

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = USIAnimation
        animationName = Deploy
        inflatable = true
        CrewCapacity = 2
    }

also MKS-L parts does not seems to have been buffed for new life support value, comparatively to standard MKS parts.

Hrm.  Is there a method for improving that "Habitation" thing?  I kinda want to make stuff that lasts for years- decades, even- but can't seem to get past a matter of "days", I don't see what makes the Habitation value go up..

Here we go.  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=607788518

This is a prototype Duna base that I'm designing.  It needs to house 4 engineers, 2 scientists, and 1 pilot.  Has enough space for 13 Kerbals.  But the Life Support Status button on the Toolbar says that it will only support my Kerbals for 60 days..

Way too stuffed for that many Kerbals.  Add more inflatable habs or hitchhiker cans.  You're basically making the Kerbals sleep at their desks (there's only one hab and that's really meant for temporary housing for a pair of Kerbals).

Ahh.  So I require significantly larger amounts of living space then?  Like what, one Hitchhiker hab module per Kerbal?  More, less?

I mean my ultimate goal here is permanent colonization of planets, but if I can't even send my Kerbals TO those planets because their Habitation value runs out less than halfway into a trip to Duna..

Edited by Kershu5

Play with it in the VAB.  But I'd start with the fact that one of those inflatables is only good for a pair of Kerbals - you have a lot more Kerbals than dedicated hab space.  That being said, play in the VAB *after* the next release (later today) as I have a bug to fix in USI-LS