[WIP] The Martian Ares Rover

-ctn-

No offense to your excellently modeled Martian wheels, which look fantastic, but I think it actually looks better with the stock wheels. I also agree with whoever said to wait for 1.1, since HarvestR has said that wheels got completely redone. Will most likely break all existing mod wheels anyway.

Edit to add that this is by far the best looking rover I've seen made for KSP, I would definitely use this on all my bases.

Edited by Gribbleshnibit8

• 3 weeks later...

I think kottabo made a review for this mod. Looks nice.

What just came up to me when I checked your mods is:

You look like someone who knows what he's doing. Ever thought of making a "science module" wich contains all the stock experiments, is balanced in weight and cost, but is simply one nice endgame part rather then a cluttered cargobay full of different stuff?

One of these days I might actually have to watch this movie, but this rover looks grand.

Some thoughts, at random after glancing over the thread:

Since I play with a lot of mods, I've had a chance to experiment with a lot of other people's rovers: here are the ones that stand out, that you might find interesting.

Rover Dude's Karibou Expedition Rover is a excellent modular rover; the cockpit is particularly great (more on that in a sec) and does some cool custom stuff with wheels.

WildBlue's Buffalo MSEV is another great rover; smaller and is able to be built in situ (as in, using KAS/KIS on the ground) as I believe you said you wanted, might be worth a look. Also has some great wheel designs (the mountain goat wheel especially).

Because this is your first command module, this raises the (dreaded) question of...IVAs. For which a lot of people swear by Raster Prop Monitor to get cool transparent pods/cockpits (the Karibou uses this). Personally, I've had issues with that mod causing some conflicts, so I've had to go in and manually remove it's module from the config (not a big deal), but if someone like Rover Dude uses it, it's probably on the level. The transparent pod feature can be toggled to taste; it also adds in IVA instruments from what I understand as well, allowing you to do full IVA piloting and such.

On a slightly unrelated note, you mentioned Porkjet's Habitat Pack not working for you. What exactly is the problem? I have it in my game and while I haven't put it in space yet, it seems to work fine in the VAB. Note: there is a config fix in the thread by Starwaster that fixes one of the apparent problems with it, that might help.

Just some suggestions to keep the flame alive.

Cheers.

---edit---

Exploration Rover System by A.S.E.T. this guy made ALCOR, and while I haven't tried the rover and it's dated, there is a fair bit of media on it and it looks pretty good. Probably has some good IVA designs especially (he is known for that).

Edited by Deimos Rast

Whilst working on the MAV mod (see signature), I finally figured out hatches in Unity.

Spent a few hours tweaking some stuff on the rover parts, added the hatches, balanced the weight, ect. Pretty soon I'll upload a WIP release, since it's playable but not finished yet.

Here's some pictures:
T7gRewa.png

zUiUQfh.png

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.