Idea!

The Optimist

Would it be possible to rig up a command module with a crapton of RCS modules and reaction wheels, attach some vertically oriented elevons and by spinning the capsule make it become a propeller thing? It would need a craft to actually lift it off the ground, but then it would become a completely vanilla prop 'plane'. Someone, try this out.

I remember trying something like this. You can generate lift by placing wings radially and spinning the entire craft. However, control is virtually impossible. I built a semi-functional bearing using landing gear wheels and structural fuselage as the shaft, but it's not elegant. I orientated it horizontally to see if it could produce forward thrust rather than trying to lift the whole contraption.

Azimech, get in here!

This is one of his designs that works in 1.0.4 (and is 100% stock). Not with RCS and reaction wheels, but a turbine engine that spins a set of wings to give it lift.

It proves that spinning wings will give you lift, and that such a craft can be flown quite effectively. But I'm not sure if RCS would be powerful enough.

http://kerbalx.com/Azimech/Stock-Coaxial-Helicopter-77I--CTR3-Sky-Crane-10

and check out his other turbo prop craft from previous versions, they're impressive http://kerbalx.com/Azimech/craft

Edited by katateochi
typo

Thanks Kat!

If anyone decides he/she wants to build such things, take a look in my topic (see signature) for some ideas and theory.

I've never noticed your aso on the forums. I love seeing your craft on the subreddit. Also what engines did you use for the copter, wheesly or the high performance one?

Having built some SAS based props myself, they did work pretty well pre 1.0 :) (could even say before the wingparts were changed for porkjet's)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92798-K-29B-bomber-Y-38-fighter-%28stock-props%29

However, now in 1.04 the torque output of SAS units VS the induced drag of everything in stock is quite terrible, so pure torque based props will have serious difficulties generating enough thrust (especially with such complicated bearings, where each part of the bearing will add a lot of drag)

Now, Props run by using jet engine thrust can still devellop enough thrust however - but it's quite a big system :) (might be shrunk once we get those 0.625m jet engines though ^^)

KSP physics still work quite nicely :) creating stock bearings and using engine exhaust to push against other parts are still valid :)

However, even in 1.0x, if you have a bearing, you can still 'cheat' by creating an animated propeller / fan, and using hidden jet engines as the real mean of propulsion :)

Here's an example for animated turbofans in 1.0x using these kind of techniques, but it can be adapted to make fake propellers spin too

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121800-Kerbal-Electric-animated-Turbofan-engines-New-Low-bypass-KT-8D-jet-engine-%21

Edited by sgt_flyer

I've never noticed your aso on the forums. I love seeing your craft on the subreddit. Also what engines did you use for the copter, wheesly or the high performance one?

Nice! Yeah I post on multiple sites. Always funny to see differences in reactions or the complete lack of. What works on the forum, may not work on Facebook or Reddit. I can't find a pattern but I think it's very interesting behaviour.

I used the basic jets, because fuel consumption of the turbo-ramjets is totally absurd.

Yeah I've tried creating an electric plane in 1.0.4. Fuggetabout, it can never be done. It's like the original aero system of 0.90 was changed into something new with one goal in mind: creating as much drag as possible for rotating parts.

For example, in 0.90 you could build a turboprop airplane using only two blowers (basic jet engines). In 1.0.4, you need at least 16 for creating enough thrust to get something in the air. And don't dream of a nice performance either, while my 0.90 record holder did 558 km/h at 10 km, max altitude for a turboprop in 1.0.4 is around 3.5 with a top speed of around 300 km/h.

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.