[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I won't remove the old model.

Foxster : I could add an altitude slider in the Editor but I don't really want to copy the whole KER interface. I'll see if I can do something like a curve easily but later.

No don't remove the old model, just add this one, or link to it for people that want smaller cases without tweekscale.

I don't have the models file and I don't know if R4m0n has them. But I agree that it would make more sense.

The change I am considering for the tree is having the ascent AP before the landing AP. Maybe some other minor changes.

And I am still waiting for ship files or saves from those who have problem with the landing AP. I can't fix a bug I can't duplicate.

Can I give you the save file along with the mods required for the ship for convenience? And the ship too of course.

Edited by smjjames

And I am still waiting for ship files or saves from those who have problem with the landing AP. I can't fix a bug I can't duplicate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NGIpQIUGFhTTk5SnJVMlZNMU0/view?usp=sharing

Save Name: MJ-Test

Vessel Name: MJ-Landing Test - 75km orbit

MJ build version: #442 dev.

Mods installed:

KER

HyperEdit

MechJeb

Tweakable Everything

Test: 'Land Somewhere'

Retrograde burn till Pe= -60km

Ballistic descent with small amounts of throttle up until Dv=0 and chute opens.

Test: 'Land at KSP Pad'

Ksp Pad - Set - Land at Target

Warp until ~153 degree west

Retrograde burn until Pe= -60km. Target difference is ~500km 'Performing course correction of 40m/s'

Immediate turn prograde with 10 degree nose up.

Burn until Pe has raised to +73Km.

Craft continues in orbit with no landing.

After clicking on abort and and then Land at Target again:

Burn retrograde until Target Difference is ~300m

Constant ~10% throttle burn until fuel is exhausted followed by ballistic re-entry and landing ~80km from KSC Pad.

It's almost as if MJ is freezing for several seconds at a time then overcompensating. Constantly clicking abort-LaT seems to get a closer landing.

Since theres no answer, I'm going to upload my gamedata folder as well. I had to do it separately since I tried to put the gamedata and the save folder together and it was too big all at once for the file hosting that I'm using.

Editwhiletyping: Dangit, the gamedata folder is too big, I'll just screenshot what I have and list what the ship is using.

Savefile: http://sta.sh/02f5qlggvgi8

The ship Kerbsci is already in orbit, just select KSC launchpad as target, start landing AP to land at target and let it do it's thing, also turn off use RCS for small maneuvers since it doesn't have RCS anyway.

What I'm noticing is that it does the burn way too early and then after that initial burn, it seems to chase two (and sometimes three) different vectors.

Theres another ship in the save and if that gets krakenified, don't worry about it as thats not the one you're looking at.

Mods used in ship:

Dmagicorbitalscience

Novapunch (using the indev version here )

SpaceY lifters

MJallcommand if you want MJ enabled since that's how I did it (custom config that applies MJ to all command pods, I think you said you already use it sarbian)

Modular Rocket Systems

KJR probably optional

EDIT!: I forgot, you'll need Universial Storage for the ship.

modlist_zpskeh811pc.png

Edited by smjjames

And another thing sarbian, MJ seems to like bloating the output log with simulation updates and lines like this:

[MechJeb2] ToF = 90.66

Not exactly sure what conditions it happens in though. I think it has something to do with the landing window, not sure.

http://sta.sh/0vlqdlp9wb0

Edited by smjjames

ah, I just had to ask :D

Care to share the craft file and a log (any log will do, if just need to see the mod loading) ? I did some test earlier and I landed near the airway when targeting the pad...

I tried removing all my mods, validate the game files with Steam and install MechJeb2-2.5.0.0-442. The landing guidance behaviour was very much the same. Below is a link to a zip with the .craft and KSP.log, I hope you can make more sense of it than I could.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23186958/KSP/Cleaned.zip

What's your staging? That'll affect the deltaV readout.

Here.

HyAjnCe.jpg

I added arrows for clarity what separates what.

Not my first time assembling asparagus and I checked that the outer tanks separate properly on bothg sides and the hoses are tied properly. What I don't get why stage 4 is empty because in 0.90 I made this all day long with alll the dV properly calculated.

Hey guys! So, I've been away for a while, deployed to Korea for 9 months, and I finally built a computer that can play KSP decently. What I wanted to ask is who is currently working on mechjeb? I know it was r4mon at some point, is he still working on it or did someone take over or step in to help out? I don't remember who all was working on it before I left.

Benz

P.S.: Does the current MechJeb work with 1.0.2? or should I get a development version, or just wait until it gets better?

Edited by Benzschwagel

Here.

http://i.imgur.com/HyAjnCe.jpg

Not my first time assembling asparagus and I checked that the outer tanks separate properly on bothg sides and the hoses are tied properly. What I don't get why stage 4 is empty because in 0.90 I made this all day long with alll the dV properly calculated.

Theres supposedly a bug with external fuel lines, so, maybe try fiddling around with fuel lines? or do crossfeeds? No idea honestly.

Theres supposedly a bug with external fuel lines, so, maybe try fiddling around with fuel lines? or do crossfeeds? No idea honestly.

Fair enough. Is this a KSP bug or a MechJeb bug? Is there an official source for this so I can track progress? At the moment this is spoiling the 1.0 fun for me.

Fair enough. Is this a KSP bug or a MechJeb bug? Is there an official source for this so I can track progress? At the moment this is spoiling the 1.0 fun for me.

KSP bug, but it doesn't seem to be officially confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

mechjeb2 spins my rocket often 180° and dive full throttle into the ocean. i have to wait for the update...

Does it do that if you fly it without MechJeb? Also, try the latest dev version.

Edit: Update on this:

And another thing sarbian, MJ seems to like bloating the output log with simulation updates and lines like this:

[MechJeb2] ToF = 90.66

Not exactly sure what conditions it happens in though. I think it has something to do with the landing window, not sure.

http://sta.sh/0vlqdlp9wb0

I can see it filling up my output log during the landing proccess, at this particular moment, it's the 'land somewhere' proccess. Edit2: Targeted landing as well. Wonder why it's bleeding data into the output log.

Edited by smjjames

Here.

http://i.imgur.com/HyAjnCe.jpg

What's that extra fuel line for, connecting the outer tanks? That doesn't need to be there. I can't see where the engine is, but supposing it's on the center tank, you just need lines from the outer tanks to the center tank.

- - - Updated - - -

The Delta-V calculation when building in asparagus doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong here?

http://i.imgur.com/vvk5hrK.jpg

Oh....I see....you're using the too complicated/too many part approach

What's that extra fuel line for, connecting the outer tanks? That doesn't need to be there. I can't see where the engine is, but supposing it's on the center tank, you just need lines from the outer tanks to the center tank.

It's a typical asparagus staging setup.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't connect the outer lines, the separator holding the rockets in place won't crosfeed fuel, therefore , in order for the fuel to pass from each stage of the asparagus onto the next the fuel lines are needed, and at the final stage, they need to merge onto the main fuel tank.

It's a pretty straightforward asparagus setup and I've been flying it for years without problems (and with the correct dV calculated).

It's not a complicated design at all. I don't know where you get this idea from.

It's a pretty simple asparagus staging. The whole point is to have those fuel lines there.

Edited by jebodiah1976

mechjeb2 spins my rocket often 180° and dive full throttle into the ocean. i have to wait for the update...

Make sure you're using the 'Control From Here' on the command pod. I had this happen the other day and it was because it was controlling from the AR202, which I had sideways in a service compartment, and thought the rocket was pointing at the horizon.

I've had some similar behaviour with no extra command gear, using the Module Manager script to put MechJeb directly in the sole command-pod.

It's possible that at some critical speed/altitude/thrust combo the rocket is just too unstable. Remember, the centre of mass shifts as fuel burns, and we have new aerodynamics. MechJeb works OK in orbit, but I am wary of it in atmosphere.

-snip-

I just checked with my own asparagus staging and it works fine. Double check your staging, when I have the two stages swapped places, I see what you're seeing, so, I bet the staging of the two are switched.

MechJeb..... what are you doing?.... lol

Seriously though, I did a return from a moon while in a polar orbit around the Mun and it worked fine, so I have no idea why it wants to send me off into a heliocentric orbit.

Tried changing the orbit to around 200km, same result, made the orbit equatorial and it worked then. I know polar orbits are generally trickier to leave from, but I didn't have this problem before with polar orbits around Minmus. Dev build 442.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot41_zpst4rx3h8b.png

I suggest that you read a book on orbital dynamics before criticizing MechJeb. Return from Moon will not work from an orbit that is normal to the orbit of the object that you are orbiting. It is not possible. You need change your orbital plane to match the orbital plane of the moon that you are orbiting.

skips

skips, I *strongly* suggest you *understand* orbital dynamics before you provide such incorrect advice to someone asking for help.

Of course you can leave a Mun polar orbit or a Minmus polar orbit and go into a return-to-Kerbin trajectory. I do it all the time, although I don't use MechJeb but manually create the Maneuver Node with the assistance of Precise Node (a great node editor) and have MechJeb AP the node. But I've studied the physics of the orbits a lot and can envision where to first put the Maneuver Node before adjusting, which could be harder for others.

This sort of transfer is a function one of the MechJeb tools should help with. Problem for me is I've not used them to do this and can't recall enough to be sure about giving a working solution using MechJeb. At least smjjames has access to the workaround, change the plane of his Minmus orbit, but his spacecraft has to have more delta-V to do that.

EDIT: smjjames clarified MechJeb worked to provide a return to Kerbin from Mun polar orbit but not from Minmus, where it put him into an escape trajectory.

EDIT: Probably happening due to Kerbin relative velocities being lower at Minmus and then a little excess velocity in the MechJeb solution firing him into an escape trajectory. Likely fixable by tweaking the escape Maneuver Node and looking at the resultant trajectory.

Edited by Jacke