[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I just had KSP permanently freezing when trying to undock, using the dev136 build. But as I don't know how messages belong together, is it more likely MechJeb or RemoteTech causing the crash?

[LOG 19:59:30.175] RemoteTech: SatelliteManager: OnVesselCreate(00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, )
[LOG 19:59:30.179] RemoteTech: SatelliteManager: Unregister(ModuleSPU(, 19c612b6-2d19-4b66-88f4-7fbf971ef3ad))
[EXC 19:59:30.181] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 19:59:30.203] MechJeb module MechJebModuleThrustController threw an exception in Drive: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MuMech.CelestialBodyExtensions.RealMaxAtmosphereAltitude (.CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.VesselState.TerminalVelocity () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.TerminalVelocityThrottle () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[LOG 19:59:30.388] Docking to vessel Minimus QuadroLaunch MKII
[EXC 19:59:30.530] StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
[EXC 19:59:31.397] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
last line repeating until killed...

derkaderka / MainSailor / Patupi : build 135+ should not have this problem at all. It was a bug with the menu windows when it was closed.

I saw there was an updated version after I posted. That new one works well, thanks!

The small roll in a know bug of those who use the dev version. Since it's does not impact anything it's not high on my list.

It's fine unless you have too much torque on say, a smaller probe lander (like one of the 1.25m reaction wheels). I didn't notice it until I started building smaller science probes again. I don't typically rely on reaction wheels during launch so I didn't start to see the issue unless I was using Smart ASS.

Sorry to bother you all, but I have completely forgotten how to install Mechjeb. Could someone be so kind as to remind me what and where to put things. I have downloaded the Dev Build mentioned earlier in this thread, but simply have no idea on how to make it work.

Thanks in advance

You should just be able to drop everything from that .zip into your GameData folder. Are you on Steam? You need to find the Steam program files folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Kerbal Space Program). Just don't drop a GameData folder into the GameData folder. You only need one of those.

I updated to .23, and installed the 136 build, but i still don't get any mechjeb menus. I have the .dll, but i have no clue where to put it.

.dll goes into the Kerbal/plugins folder.

The MechJeb AR202 and Pod folders go into the Gamedata folder. There will already be a 'Squad' folder in there, so just create a new folder there, name it MechJeb2 or somthing and stick the AR202 & Pod folders inside that.

It's reccomended you do a fresh install of Kerbal tbh, seems to have a few people out that way.

If you cannot see a plugins folder after reinstalling, you need to start up Kerbal just once then close it and it will have appeared.

The MechJeb side bar will now only appear if you have a rocket with the AR202 attached to it...this is a 45 pt research item, so a couple of tiers into the research tree. It will only offer Smart-SAS and your data displays...no auto-pilot.

I'm assuming the auto-pilot is with the main MechJeb command Pod? or do I have to unlock something else further in the tree?

I havent seen where the Pod is located yet. If someone could put up a screenshot highlighting where it's found it would help a lot.

I can confirm that 0.23 borks mechjeb. No menus show up in any of the scenes in version 2.1. I'm reluctant to install dev versions :/

Well the latest dev version does fix your issue. MechJeb works fine in 0.23 if you nab the latest build.

But I think Squad's made some changes to drag/weight, since MechJeb can't seem to make the same sudden pitch/tilts it used to while in-atmosphere/during thrust. So buyer beware.

Had a little play with 136 and it appears to be working fine on a clean 0.23 install. Oops, just noticed 137! up major update ;) light fixed :) Phew :)

OH and while I remember, BIG THANKS for sorting this for 0.23 :) Me and my tribe of mini Kerbals would have been well stuffed without MJ, none of us can fly rockets for love nor money.

Edited by John.E
BIG THANKS

What's the current state with MJ and the science system? I unlocked it today in "Flight Control", but it doesn't do anything. No "Mechjeb"-Button to the right, and right clicking it on the Launchpad shows just the same stuff as a probe body.

Hey, I was going to post that !

Teutatis : Thanks, I add that link to my signature if you don't mind :)

Heh...feel free.

Got it from here... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=193177293

In reply to Cy-one....make sure you have attached the AR202 pack-thingy to the side of your capsule. Looks like a battery pack with an ariel.

A956A2225483E764919C0F6E468FFB30F2FECBC8

Flight Control

Custom Window Editor

Smart A.S.S.

Advanced Flight Control

Maneuver Planner

Node Editor

Translatron

Warp Helper

Attitude Adjustment

Thrust Window

RCS Balancer Window

Field Science

Rover Window

Unmanned Tech

Ascent Guidance

Landing Guidance

Spaceplane Guidance

Advanced Unmanned Tech

Docking Guidance

Rendezvous Autopilot Window

Rendezvous Guidance

Edited by Teutatis

.dll goes into the Kerbal/plugins folder.

The MechJeb AR202 and Pod folders go into the Gamedata folder. There will already be a 'Squad' folder in there, so just create a new folder there, name it MechJeb2 or somthing and stick the AR202 & Pod folders inside that.

It's reccomended you do a fresh install of Kerbal tbh, seems to have a few people out that way.

If you cannot see a plugins folder after reinstalling, you need to start up Kerbal just once then close it and it will have appeared.

Uh, nope. The whole MJ2 folder from the archive goes in GameData, and that's all. The seperate Plugins, Parts, etc. folders in the root KSP folder are for pre-0.20 "legacy" mods. Anything built for KSP .20 or above is built to all be in a single mod folder under GameData, where each mod can have its own Parts, Plugins, Spaces, etc. folders.

The default instructions on spaceport were never updated (have we mentioned spaceport is broken?) so people still, a full six months later, think they should put mods in those folders rather than putting the single big mod folder in GameData.

Edited by NathanKell

In reply to Cy-one....make sure you have attached the AR202 pack-thingy to the side of your capsule. Looks like a battery pack with an ariel.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/470919023191407617/A956A2225483E764919C0F6E468FFB30F2FECBC8/

Flight Control

Custom Window Editor

Smart A.S.S.

Did and didn't have the window editor or Smart A.S.S. :/ There wasn't even a MJ-Button on the side, neither in the VAB nor in flight... Worked fine in my old .22-install, not on the newer .23-install.

cy-one : can you put a zip of your mechjeb folder somewhere ? I think it's a result of some code I added for blizzy toolbar support but I can't find out until I get config files with the bug.

Meanwhile try adding the toolbar support ( optional module link in my signature ) and tell me if it works better.

I just pushed a new dev version with support for :

- ModuleEnginesFX (Rapier)

- thrust limiter tweakable

Should be fine, but check the numbers.

What's the current state with MJ and the science system? I unlocked it today in "Flight Control", but it doesn't do anything. No "Mechjeb"-Button to the right, and right clicking it on the Launchpad shows just the same stuff as a probe body.

Make sure you are using the latest dev version. (Build 136+)

Do not use the official latest stable because it is out of date and will not work with .23

BigD145, behavior confirmed in 138. The setting of the radio button in the AP dialog is not being transferred to the Utilities dialog. Also confirmed is the changing (or resetting) of other radio buttons without their being touched. It just happened to my "Smooth throttle" utility command. Even setting the Utilities "Auto-stage" button, however, did not correct the problem.

Something else I noticed: When the staging point was reached, the throttle on the nav ball went to 100% (expected), but there was no triggering of the decoupler.

The BBQ roll is present in my installation, too. It's very slow, and there are times when it seems to arbitrarily stop. May or may not be a MJ issue, but something to look into.

There is also a capital "T" in the upper right corner of all the dialogs. It doesn't seem to do anything (good, bad, or indifferent), it's just there.

Edited by BARCLONE

Heh...feel free.

Battey pack with an Ariel? Sorry, couldn't help myself... ;) Surprisingly, I didn't run into any NSFW images looking for that.

I think you mean one of these aerial things.

dab-vhf-uhf-car-radio-aerial-antenna-2371-p.jpg

I have .23, currently in mod update gathering phase to ensure everything will be compatible with it.

I went in to my files (I have the 136 download) I edited my command modules for the mechjeb interface and changed the unlocks to "Start" rather than their tech box.

It worked for the sandbox, but career mode still only had parts of MJ unlocked for flight.

I know that's part of the design, but I just want MJ to work for my command pods in career mode with all parts at the start.

Some might think that's cheating, but computers controlled most if not all of the first spaceflights, so for me, it's about realism.

I know that's part of the design, but I just want MJ to work for my command pods in career mode with all parts at the start.

Some might think that's cheating, but computers controlled most if not all of the first spaceflights, so for me, it's about realism.

Manual spacecraft piloting has mostly been used for experimenting just to see if it was possible, and for emergencies like the course correction burn done on Apollo 13's return using the LEM engine. The computers and software were not designed to handle such an event so it had to be done by eye and timing. Changing the software wouldn't have helped because the instruments normally used for such burns weren't on the LEM and they were pointing the wrong way.

IIRC one of the Mercury capsules had a stability control problem, got into a tumble and the astronaut had to manually control it to correctly orient for reentry. I'd have to do some digging to find out if any of the space shuttle liftoffs or landings were manually piloted.

Manually flying rockets and plotting orbits in KSP is the Chuck Yeager approach. Using an autopilot is like what real space programs went to because there was only one Chuck Yeager. (It was so unfair that the best pilot available back then got shut out of being an astronaut simply because he hadn't gone to college.)

For KSP players who want some extra fun and excitement, an optional random MechJeb failure mode would be interesting, if it came with an alarm and blinky lights.

Something that would be very useful is an option in landing guidance to descend to a set height above terrain then hover there while allowing the player to maneuver horizontally to fine tune the landing site. Once satisfied with the location the player could hit a key or click something to finish it. It would also need an automatic landing override for when the fuel reaches a minimum safe amount to finish landing. Think of the Apollo 11 landing where they had to hover and move over a bit to avoid some rocks. Rocks aren't yet a problem in KSP but landing on sharp terrain features is.