[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Request for feature:

It seems that MJ auto landing system was designed for "tail sitters". This has worked well for my early designs but I'm trying create a craft with dedicated flight and decent engines. (Think of the ship in the movie Space 1999) MJ doesn't seem to understand there are two different sets of engines. Even with the main engines shut down, MJ still sees the thrust vector as pointing reward in instead of down.

Is there any way to make MJ use the mains for the breaking manuver then switch to the decent engines or recognize the decent engines are being used if switched manually?

Clear as mud?

Thanks,

The Dude

Request for feature:

It seems that MJ auto landing system was designed for "tail sitters". This has worked well for my early designs but I'm trying create a craft with dedicated flight and decent engines. (Think of the ship in the movie Space 1999) MJ doesn't seem to understand there are two different sets of engines. Even with the main engines shut down, MJ still sees the thrust vector as pointing reward in instead of down.

Is there any way to make MJ use the mains for the breaking manuver then switch to the decent engines or recognize the decent engines are being used if switched manually?

Clear as mud?

Thanks,

The Dude

You'll need a pod, probe body or docking port for which the forward direction is in line with your landing engine thrust vector. Then simply use "control from here" to make it active before final descent, and MJ will then assume that your engine vector is inline with it (which it should be).

The ship you're referring to is called the Eagle, and someone even ported it to KSP a few versions ago http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/8549-Space-1999-Eagle-**Version-1-2-16-hatch-Kerbonaut-Ready!**

Thanks Crater, I did not understand what was asked :)

TheDude : It's been asked before but I doubt we well ever see it. It require a rather large code change for something you can easily by adding a part in the right place, like Crater suggested. I have seen a small flat pod made exactly for that but I can't find it.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Sorry for the very poor explanation. Seems I can't multitask as well as I thought. :-)

Anyway, if the fix is as simple as explained then I'll go with that.

Sarbian: To clarify everything the code looks at where the craft is being controlled from and it's "forward" vector and assumes the thrust vector is opposite of that? So, my cockpit faces forward and MJ says "OK, the thrust vector points backward." So, if I add a probe body or a docking port on the top of my ship and switch to it during the decent then, MJ now sees the "Forward" is now pointing UP and will use the thurst vector pointing DOWN?

I assume I'll still need to shut down my main engines that point aft?

Thanks Crater, I did not understand what was asked :)

TheDude : It's been asked before but I doubt we well ever see it. It require a rather large code change for something you can easily by adding a part in the right place, like Crater suggested. I have seen a small flat pod made exactly for that but I can't find it.

I seem to be having problems downloading your MJ dev fork. How do you download from the website you posted it on? The UI seems pretty opaque.

EDIT; I got it to download, but windows can't open the file as it is 'invalid'. Any help?

EDIT EDIT: Fixed! Sorry!

Edited by TimMartland

TheDude : yes, that's how it works. MJ use KSP function and variable that return the "forward" from part you actually control from. If you add the control pod and do a "control from" here you'll that your navball also turn.

drtedastro : that's the one I was thinking about, thanks :)

This is my first post here on these forums.

I just love MechJeb to death.

One issue I am having (as of using the 138 dev build) is that when I stage down to say just the command module pod (it's most noticeable here) that when I have the KILL ROTATION option activated mechjeb will randomly "twitch" the spacecraft in random directions.

I don't know if this is mentioned, and just wanted to make it known.

If this is something fixable on my end please let me know.

**EDIT: I just downloaded and played with the 139 dev build of MechJeb and I still get the random twitching issue**

Edited by Gerhard
Additional Information

One issue I am having (as of using the 138 dev build) is that when I stage down to say just the command module pod (it's most noticeable here) that when I have the KILL ROTATION option activated mechjeb will randomly "twitch" the spacecraft in random directions.

**EDIT: I just downloaded and played with the 139 dev build of MechJeb and I still get the random twitching issue**

MechJeb could be having trouble controlling the massive amount of torque with respect to the craft's overall mass when you're down to just a command pod. When I see this issue in bigger craft, I usually have success with disabling on-board reaction wheels and just letting the command pod exert torque. When you are just down to the command pod, my advice is not to use MJ to kill rotation, but instead just use the stock SAS, which will accomplish the same thing much more precisely.

Does anyone know what the T button on the top right of the MJ windows does, if anything? It looks like the C (clipboard) and E (edit) buttons but I don't see any result when I foolishly click it.

If you're also using Blizzy's Toolbar Mod, the "T" pins that MJ module into the Toolbar for easy access.

I have seen that as well. It started in one of the 0.23 compatibility dev builds (I don't remember which one). I also see it when using SmartASS to hold a heading (Prograde, retrograde) with or without Force Roll. I typically notice it more with a small craft (capsule with service module, or descent module).

I just returned after some time...

Ascent guidance doesn't work at all? Rocket turns right after launch and crashes... rockets that worked before with mechjeb...

Am I forgetting or doing something wrong?

Did you install FAR? Cause that sounds like something that happens in FAR if you start your gravity turn too late. (if that's the case, start it much sooner. Meters rather than kilometers. Ferram recommends using velocity as a guideline I think.... 100m/s)

You'll need a pod, probe body or docking port for which the forward direction is in line with your landing engine thrust vector. Then simply use "control from here" to make it active before final descent, and MJ will then assume that your engine vector is inline with it (which it should be).

The ship you're referring to is called the Eagle, and someone even ported it to KSP a few versions ago http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/8549-Space-1999-Eagle-**Version-1-2-16-hatch-Kerbonaut-Ready!**

You also need to action group the engine active toggles so you can shut down the ones pointing the wrong way. MechJeb will fire all active engines, no matter which way they're pointing or which control part they're aligned with.

Did you install FAR? Cause that sounds like something that happens in FAR if you start your gravity turn too late. (if that's the case, start it much sooner. Meters rather than kilometers. Ferram recommends using velocity as a guideline I think.... 100m/s)
\

Thanks for the answer but I don't use FAR. Anyone else have this?

I'm having the same issue using the 139 build.

#140 should fix the staging when you end up with some oxidizer left in a tank. Please test that one because I don't really like changing anything in the staging system just before a release

Gerhard & MOARdV : ship gets "twitchy" with MJ when they have a lot of rotation power for their mass. You can fix that by setting the "tf" in the Attitude adjustment window. Lower value are for smaller ship, larger for ... larger ship. I need to take some time to try and build that value automaticly with the available torque, mass and whatever. But th

replica17 : can you check one thing. Load your ship on the launchpad, right click on your command pod ans select "control from here" and then launch. .22 changed how they select the command pod and the game may set the command pod to the AR202 case that may not point up.

Testing 140 now, I keep a text file in the plugins folder so I can keep track of the build number now

1st Test : Jool V caring mir core staged successfully to 100km orbit

2nd Test : Progress rocket from Bobcats soviet pack failed to stage

3rd Test : Soyuz from same soviet pack again failed to stage

4th Test : Fasa Gemini Titan IIIc successfull to 100km orbit

5th Test :Proton from soviet pack successfull to 100km orbit

I hope this helps I used known examples of ships so you can cross reference with other kerbinauts using those mods as well

Edited by Virtualgenius

Having a major problem with mechjeb tonight. It started when the Kethane mod stopped working since the last update.

And I've been going crazy trying to find out what was what.

I started with trying to troubleshoot Kethane, un/reinstalling it, un/reinstalling KSP, etc. Finally it boiled down to deleting all local content and just running vanilla KSP and kethane. Kethane finally worked.

Then I closed out and installed Mechjeb.

Neither Mechjeb *nor* Kethane worked. The parts were there, but the mechjeb overlays didn't show up, and the kethane map overlays didn't either.

Closed out, and removed Kethane, to test if there was a conflict between Mechjeb and Kethane.

Mechjeb still didn't work. Parts were there, but no overlay.

wtf mate

replica17 : can you check one thing. Load your ship on the launchpad, right click on your command pod ans select "control from here" and then launch. .22 changed how they select the command pod and the game may set the command pod to the AR202 case that may not point up.

Didn't work..... it launches and immediately goes into a bank...