[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Limit terminal velocity also seems to stay on if you enable it in sandbox then switch to a career mode save where you can't open the utilities window to disable it, since some mechjeb menu items can't be used until you research them now. This irks me, because if I wanted to fly rockets myself I wouldn't have downloaded the mod in the first place. If you went back to way it was I wouldn't complain.

Build #140 & #141 do not work with Blizzy78 Toolbar, MechJeb does not show up in the toolbar and the following is being spammed in KSP.log

[ERR 14:57:30.160] MechJeb module MechJebModuleMenuToolbar threw an exception in DrawGUI: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'MuMech.ComputerModule.print'.
at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Build #139 is causing no issues.

Sarbian, #141 appears to have fixed the staging issue for me. All three of my primary load lifters staged correctly, in both parallel and in-line modes.

Thanks for the updates!

You mentioned having oxidizer remaining in the tanks (like mine did). Is that the typical result, and not the other way around?

Hi there, I'm having an issue with the launch to rendezvous option since KSP 0.23 and mechjeb build 138-141 and am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. When I try to rendezvous with the Mun, it performs the warp-countdown to launch but seems to launch when the Mun is not at all in position. Similar problems with rendezvous in Kerbin orbit; it seems to launch either too soon or too late for a successful intersect, but not quite as drastic, so it seems to get worse the higher the altitude. I tested with mod parts and stock parts to the same result.

Everything else seems to be working great for my purposes; better with every build! you're doing an excellent job, thanks so much for your efforts, sarbian!

none of the dev builds are working for me in .23 . I do not see the mechjeb icon in sandbox or career where I had it unlocked in .22 "missing exception field .flightglobals fetch not found" and "could not load error icon" are spamming the debug log. Sanbox mechjeb is NOT working like career. Using latest dev build and any help would be appreciated

...I'm having an issue with the launch to rendezvous option... it performs the warp-countdown to launch but seems to launch when the Mun is not at all in position...

I've had similar issues with the "Launch to rendezvous" option going back to the previous generations of MJ, usually in the form of it misses the window and goes around for another try (which means waiting for Mun, or some other target, to get back into position), often five or six times!. I stopped using that option, and instead, simply launch to a 200km orbit, and use Manuver Planner to do a proper Hohmann Transfer to reach Mun (or use Rendezvouz Autopilot for a station or similar). You might find this approach works much better.

I just wait for the time to hit 1 and then punch the spacebar. 1 second can be a big deal, but it's close enough. You can also turn off autowarp at around the 5 second mark and hit spacebar a tick after 1.

For anyone not seeing mechjeb or mechjeb dev builds not working for you, give more info. Mac, Linux, Windows? KSP version. Exact Mechjeb build. Maybe even a screenshot of your gamedata folder. "I've tried all the dev builds" is just a lie. There are currently 141 of them and most of those don't work on 0.23. You have not tried them all. Your setup is a complete mystery and nobody can help you.

Edited by BigD145

Is it possible to automatically disable "limit to terminal velocity" after ascent autopilot has done its job? Noticed that it stays on in "utilities".

After AP has done its job it won't affect anything until your next launch since there is no terminal velocity in space.

If it disables itself every time you reach space that means having to turn it back on every time you launch.

I really really hate "transfer to another planet." If you're under ten days from a launch window it'll go right to the next window a year or more into the future. Sending multiple missions that are days or minutes apart to the same destination or different destinations is impossible with mechjeb. The same destination is made a bit easier if things are within half an hour because you can see the flight path of the first mission and try to mimic that burn by hand and fine tune your periapsis with mechjeb. Mechjeb is very handy for finding a burn point months of rotations in advance, but don't try to use it a few days of rotations in advance.

I really really hate "transfer to another planet." If you're under ten days from a launch window it'll go right to the next window a year or more into the future. Sending multiple missions that are days or minutes apart to the same destination or different destinations is impossible with mechjeb. The same destination is made a bit easier if things are within half an hour because you can see the flight path of the first mission and try to mimic that burn by hand and fine tune your periapsis with mechjeb. Mechjeb is very handy for finding a burn point months of rotations in advance, but don't try to use it a few days of rotations in advance.

I've had the same issues. I'll use "Transfer to Another Planet" and, for example, I'm 80 days out. Ship rotates to the blue reticle, and then starts time warping. If I "Remove All nodes" at 10 days or less to go, and then tell it "Transfer to Another Planet" again (say, we have 9 days and several hours left), it suddenly can't figure out that it is 9+ days from the transfer, and re-calculates to 122+ days again. However, if you just go with the plot it figured out at the beginning (in my example, 80 days out), about half the time it really screws up when it comes to the actual transfer. Sometimes even attempting a retrograde burn (while you are in a prograde orbit). Very weird.

So, I've been having to watch it closely, and stop it about 11 days before the transfer and let it recalculate from there, and *usually* it will then work.

Other than that, I just want to thank the author. If it wasn't for MechJeb, I'd have stopped playing this game long ago. Having to do everything manually just bores the crap out of me. Yes, I learned how to do it (orbit, transfers, docking, landing, etc.) but after the 1000th time doing that, I was burned out and stopped playing. Until I heard of this mod. THANKS!!! :cool:

If you switch ships your node is gone. If you don't switch ships you don't have to do anything with your node. Just leave it.

The landing backflips are still out of hand. This is with stock. If you use a mod with variable thrust engines like Interstellar the ship will spin and burn continually, hovering N meters above the surface of Minmus for minutes. It'll burn up down and all around in a complete circle.

Edited by BigD145

Limit terminal velocity also seems to stay on if you enable it in sandbox then switch to a career mode save where you can't open the utilities window to disable it, since some mechjeb menu items can't be used until you research them now. This irks me, because if I wanted to fly rockets myself I wouldn't have downloaded the mod in the first place. If you went back to way it was I wouldn't complain.

You are always welcome to fork the code in Github and then you can make whatever modifications to the functionality that you like.

One annoying thing I have noticed is that MJ will always go fro a Hohmann transfer if rendezvousing with another craft in orbit. Even if said craft is actually fairly close (relatively, I wuld guess at anything more than 100Km away and it goes for Hohmann transfer). It seems like a large waste in fuel and time to close a relatively short gap. Plus when orientating and translating using the RCS it looks like MJ is continuously firing the thrusters, which again wastes fuel. Is there a possibility of adding a slider, so you can choose whether MJ goes for the quickest or most fuel efficient methods or anywhere in-between?

Gerhard & MOARdV : ship gets "twitchy" with MJ when they have a lot of rotation power for their mass. You can fix that by setting the "tf" in the Attitude adjustment window. Lower value are for smaller ship, larger for ... larger ship. I need to take some time to try and build that value automaticly with the available torque, mass and whatever. But th

I am not sure I explained the behavior well: When I set heading (Prograde, Retrograde) every few seconds the capsule abruptly rolls 20-30 degrees. With Force Roll enabled, it will return back to correct attitude. If I change Tf, the quickness of the roll changes, but it is still present. This showed up sometime in one of the 0.23 builds, but I am not sure which. Prior to that build, I did not have this abrupt roll showing up every few seconds. I do not see it during launch.

Since MJ is the only mod I've seen that calculates sea-level-thrust (for Realism Overhaul), I've pretty much switched over to it from Kerbal Engineer for building rockets. A feature I'd like to see: the ability to mark stages in the delta-v window as atmospheric or vacuum so that I get a more accurate "total delta-v" result.

sarbian, kudos on this iteration of MechJeb! I launched an Agena target vehicle to 150km orbit, then launched a Gemini capsule to intercept. The launch to rendezvous put me within 10km of the Agena. A couple simple burns soon had me within 50m of the target. Then the docking autopilot took the Gemini in smooth as silk to a perfect capture. I can honestly say I've never had MechJeb work this perfectly before.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Hey, I hate to rain on the parade, but I'm having an issue with mechjeb2 (dev build 141).

It works fine the first time. When I quit the game and restart, I can load the saved ship in the VAB, but when I go to the launchpad, it segfaults the game. I can't see any errors anywhere in the logs. This behavior also exists when I try to load the same saved ship directly on the launchpad.

I am running a fully up to date Archlinux x64 installation.