[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Latest MechJeb build = no issue (in one test flight) with ships lifted directly from the pad to orbit with HyperEdit. Popped one to a 71KM Kerbin orbit and MechJeb's maneuver planner executed a perfect 2 degree inclination change, which I could not get it to complete with the previous build.

Also, with an all stock parts rocket, it correctly triggered two upside down Kerbodyne inline decouplers to dump tanks off the top of two Kerbodyne stacks mounted to the sides of a center Kerbodyne stack, on the same ship that wouldn't work with the previous build.

What I have figured out is there seems to be a bug with the node symmetry on the bottom of the original stock quad coupler, one that gets worse when that part is scaled up. Or it may have something to do with the adding of five more nodes on the bottom.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83448-I-have-a-stack-symmetry-issue-with-this-part

I'll have to build some test rockets with the stock quad coupler, similar in design to my very large one that fails to stage correctly.

I've developed a serious problem with MJ in the last 24 hours namely that it seems like it can't figure out how to control the direction of my vehicles correctly anymore. Large rockets are usually ok at first, but as they reach the end of each stage, the rocket starts wobbling all over the place, looking like its trying to get back to the input vector, but more often than not circling around it wildly. This seems to happen in almost all situations. In addition, when a vehicle is under RCS control and a vector such as prograde is entered, all of the thrusters fire at the same time and the heading only just inches towards the correct vector. It also will circle around the input in RCS mode, often forcing me to intervene before all of my RCS fuel is wasted. I'm trying to figure out what's gone wrong here, as I was messing around with RCS balancer, Attitude Adjustment, and several other settings, but all of them seem to be set back to the default settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I've already tried doing a factory reset in settings, and deleting and reinstalling MJ. Neither seem to have any effect on my current situation...

Edited by SpacedInvader

Open MechJeb settings and tick "Hide Menu Button" if you are using the toolbar. The menu sidebar is still fixed in the same place but the tab to open it disappears, so it will be out of your way when minimized.

You can also right click and hold on the tab to drag it around. That won't hide it but it does move it.

I've developed a serious problem with MJ in the last 24 hours namely that it seems like it can't figure out how to control the direction of my vehicles correctly anymore. Large rockets are usually ok at first, but as they reach the end of each stage, the rocket starts wobbling all over the place, looking like its trying to get back to the input vector, but more often than not circling around it wildly. This seems to happen in almost all situations. In addition, when a vehicle is under RCS control and a vector such as prograde is entered, all of the thrusters fire at the same time and the heading only just inches towards the correct vector. It also will circle around the input in RCS mode, often forcing me to intervene before all of my RCS fuel is wasted. I'm trying to figure out what's gone wrong here, as I was messing around with RCS balancer, Attitude Adjustment, and several other settings, but all of them seem to be set back to the default settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I've already tried doing a factory reset in settings, and deleting and reinstalling MJ. Neither seem to have any effect on my current situation...

I've been having the same issue -I even tried installing dev builds. No luck.

EDIT:

I think I found the issue - under attitude adjustment, I had 'Use Stock SAS' checked. After unchecking it, I seem to be functional

Edited by ABZB

I've been having the same issue -I even tried installing dev builds. No luck.

EDIT:

I think I found the issue - under attitude adjustment, I had 'Use Stock SAS' checked. After unchecking it, I seem to be functional

For me this was already off. Turning it on corrects the issue, but I'm guessing I lose all of the benefits of MJ's brain at that point...

Hello all! I've decided to finally seek help for this issue: For a long time now, whenever I use RCS balancer, it just doesn't work correctly. By a long time, I mean since it was added to mechjeb, and yes, I did just try to use it with factory defaults today with the latest dev build. Course I have no idea what those settings for RCS balancer do, but anyway...

Some of the problems I have are RCS balancer will prevent ports from firing even though they should be firing, and a general lack of actual balancing. One craft I'll mention is the Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter. Other people have mentioned RCS Balancer in Mechjeb as a way to balance the RCS thrusters on the KSO, suggesting that by some act of nature, I'm not allowed to have a working RCS balancer module as it never works. I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me either tune RCS balancer (again, I have no idea what those settings actually do), or perhaps finally discover a bug that ramon and sarbian haven't gotten to. Or perhaps unlock a mystery of epic proportions about the supernatural world.

Pic #1 Only one port firing when translating forward (docking mode obviously)

Pic #2 Same port firing, this pic shows that the chin port is not firing to counteract the torque of the off center thrust.

Hello all! I've decided to finally seek help for this issue: For a long time now, whenever I use RCS balancer, it just doesn't work correctly. By a long time, I mean since it was added to mechjeb, and yes, I did just try to use it with factory defaults today with the latest dev build. Course I have no idea what those settings for RCS balancer do, but anyway...

Some of the problems I have are RCS balancer will prevent ports from firing even though they should be firing, and a general lack of actual balancing. One craft I'll mention is the Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter. Other people have mentioned RCS Balancer in Mechjeb as a way to balance the RCS thrusters on the KSO, suggesting that by some act of nature, I'm not allowed to have a working RCS balancer module as it never works. I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me either tune RCS balancer (again, I have no idea what those settings actually do), or perhaps finally discover a bug that ramon and sarbian haven't gotten to. Or perhaps unlock a mystery of epic proportions about the supernatural world.

Pic #1 Only one port firing when translating forward (docking mode obviously)

Pic #2 Same port firing, this pic shows that the chin port is not firing to counteract the torque of the off center thrust.

I've found that they actually DO fire but then MJ is shutting the off again before you can see the puff. It seems to happen when undocking so save and restore. Or exit to spaceport then back to ship.

Also, you rapidly press the key over and over when translating, it will move even if you dont see the puffs.

hello all is anyone else having this problem:

after using auto dock the maneuver nodes and trajectory disappear from map view if i add a node trough lets say rendezvous helper i can see near the navball how much i need to burn but no nodes or trajectories and this does not happen always

after using auto dock the maneuver nodes and trajectory disappear from map view if i add a node trough lets say rendezvous helper i can see near the navball how much i need to burn but no nodes or trajectories and this does not happen always

Please review the red lettering in Sarbian's signature. We will be better able to help you after that.

Can't say that I've seen that happen. But it wouldn't surprise me and it's possible it's happened to me and I just shrugged it off.

Because when you dock two ships, you don't end up with two ships docked together. You end up with a single ship. Entirely possible for the maneuver node data to get lost and it wouldn't be an MJ autodock thing either. Question, how often do you manually dock your ship? If you never do and if you only autodock then you might not be in a situation to see it happen with manual docking. Make sense?

So. A while back, when we had spaceport, i got a version of Mechjeb where it was added to every cockpit, so the mechjeb box wasn't needed. Can someone point me to where i can get that again? thanks in advance

Create a text file named MechJeb_AllPods.cfg, paste in the below text, save, and fire up KSP. Voila! MechJeb for all pods.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
!MODULE[MechJebCore]
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

Create a text file named MechJeb_AllPods.cfg, paste in the below text, save, and fire up KSP. Voila! MechJeb for all pods.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
{
!MODULE[MechJebCore]
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

I hate to be a bother, but how do I create a .cfg? And where do I put it?

I hate to be a bother, but how do I create a .cfg? And where do I put it?

Just use notepad or any other text editor. If it insists on ending the filename with ".txt", just rename it afterwards. You can call it anything you like so long as the filename ends with ".cfg". Toss it anywhere under GameData/, either directly or in any subfolder. I made a special folder for my custom .cfgs so I wouldn't lose track of them.

Oh! You'll need to add the ModuleManager mod if you don't have it already.

Alright, cool. Made the file. So could i just toss this in the mechjeb gamedata folder then? that seems to be the most simple and reasonable option.

Anywhere you like. I try to keep my custom .cfgs in my own separate folder so I won't lose them if an update comes out that requires removing the previous version first.

Mechjeb causes stutter.

This has been a long standing issue for me. It might not be immediately apparent on PCs with a fast cpu, but in principal the stutter is easily demonstrated:

in the VAB with MJ windows closed, parts will rotate smoothly when the mouse hovers over a part. With a MJ window open (delta-V stats) the rotation briefly pauses every 4 to 5 seconds (the interval appears to be constant, i can't measure it accurately).

The same happens outside the vab. The pause tends to become longer, the longer a game session lasts, and with ships with a higher part count. It rather quickly becomes very noticeable and annoying.

I realize it might not be exclusively a MJ issue, but it is certain that the problem is more severe when a MJ info/stats window is open.

MJ version 2.2.1.262-262

(same problem with every version so far)

Can't say that I've seen that happen. But it wouldn't surprise me and it's possible it's happened to me and I just shrugged it off.

Because when you dock two ships, you don't end up with two ships docked together. You end up with a single ship. Entirely possible for the maneuver node data to get lost and it wouldn't be an MJ autodock thing either. Question, how often do you manually dock your ship? If you never do and if you only autodock then you might not be in a situation to see it happen with manual docking. Make sense?

i only use auto dock i tried a couple of times manual cant say i noticed the disappearing node's but ill have to try again

i use dev version #261

To further update my bug report: I'm using Mechjeb version 2.2.1.262-262

I tried the RCS balancer on a clean build of KSP, and no luck. I built a small vessel and used hack gravity, and default SAS actually manged to fire other thrusters to counter the torque.

pic of vessel The RCS thrusters were placed off balance. The top ones are closer to the COM than the bottom ones. SAS managed to fire the proper sequence of thrusters in order to keep the vessel from spinning during translation. Please note that this is great for a small vessel like what I built here, but something larger like the KSO's need additional fine tuning.

The RCS balancer, on the other hand, seemed like it was cutting the throttle down for the top thrusters, which only makes the torque worse (translating left right, up down, but not forward backward. Forward backward would translate the vessel up from Kerbin and back down to Kerbin in the picture provided).

output_log.txt just in case someone wanted to look at it.

Hope this helps!

Anywhere you like. I try to keep my custom .cfgs in my own separate folder so I won't lose them if an update comes out that requires removing the previous version first.

Alright, that's what I'll do! Thank you so much!

You need to have ModuleManager installed too. A lot of mod include it, but not all.

Yeah jrandom mentioned that earlier, and I already have module manager, I'm running enough more to need ATM, so I definíly have mNy many module manager dependent mods. But thanks anyways!

Stupid question time -- if I want to use one of the dev builds, is there a difference between the .dll file and the .zip package? Is the .dll the same plugin found in the .zip file? Thanks!

Stupid question time -- if I want to use one of the dev builds, is there a difference between the .dll file and the .zip package? Is the .dll the same plugin found in the .zip file? Thanks!

The difference is two megs. Usually, not always, but usually the dll is the only thing you need to update. The dll is in the zip file.