[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Didn't one of them work for/with the devs? I'd imagine that they would know these kinds of things. Then again, there may not have been a lot changed for the script.

It doesn't usually take much to get a plugin working with a new KSP update. Sometimes it will function without any intervention at all but it's a good idea to recompile against the new binaries anyway.

I have a bug report. the ascent guidance function failed to plot a circularization maneuver for a 75K orbit, and neither the maneuver planner nor maneuver node editor show up when the radio button is clicked. the only mod installed is Mechjeb.

edit: Oops, I also have module manager installed since that has been updated as well thanks to you amazing modders.

Edited by Garibaldi2257

No. I'm assuming you have an old version installed in the wrong directory. But you'll have to post a log if you want more help.

Galane : you need to put a cfg file formated like this somewhere in GameData. In the Misc section of the window editor there is a "Lat/Lon/Alt Copy to Clipboard" item that you can add to a window and will copy to the clipboard the required info.

I did actually look at my original download and I downloaded the newest one, they were identical. Again, it worked fine previously.

Maybe a dumb question, but where should I look for the log? There's a KSP.log in the main KSP directory, but it hasn't been updated with any new content in 6 weeks, and I've played the game a lot since. So if it's logging new stuff, it's not there.

I may just try 2.4.1 with 0.90 and see how that works out.

I have a bug report. the ascent guidance function failed to plot a circularization maneuver for a 75K orbit, and neither the maneuver planner nor maneuver node editor show up when the radio button is clicked. the only mod installed is Mechjeb.

edit: Oops, I also have module manager installed since that has been updated as well thanks to you amazing modders.

Having the same issue. Also have module manager installed.

Same here as well, ascent guidance works good up until I leave the atmosphere but then auto time warp stops and rockets do not fire for circularization orbit. Also no maneuver windows.

Found the issue. You need to upgrade your tracking station. The base tracking station causes issues with mechjeb. Once you upgrade it, everything works fine.

Feature request:

An optional setting to restrict MechJeb functionality to pilot/engineer skill as well as upgrades. A pilot that can't orient to target shouldn't be able to program a vessel to do rendezvous autopilot. I'd limit docking autopilot to higher skilled engineers. Probes shouldn't be automated without tracking station upgrades, etc.

I'll limit the use of the node using module when the tracking station is not available. I'll think about more integration with the exp system later. The last time we added something that restricted MJ functions we had to deal with an endless stream of unhappy users and I have better things to do ...

Can you please confirm that docking assistance works? I haven't been able to make a correct docking with mechjeb 2.4... I must have tried like 15 times. If it does indeed work, could you recommend a good tutorial to show how it works? thanks.

I'll limit the use of the node using module when the tracking station is not available. I'll think about more integration with the exp system later. The last time we added something that restricted MJ functions we had to deal with an endless stream of unhappy users and I have better things to do ...

I would be quite for those restrictions, but for those that aren't can't you make a checkbox to turn them off?

first time MJ user here, downloaded it because KER was not jet updated and needed some data windows. Wanted to report an issue with the dv calculator in the VAB/SPH where it seems that it does not take in account correctly the fuel lines.

This is possible because the implementation of fuel lines has completely changed in 0.90. However, it would be helpful if you could provide an example craft, a screenshot of the deltaV window and a description of exactly what you think is wrong...

Lately (pre-0.90) I was having trouble doing MJ controlled interplanetary burns. I've tried using everything except the advanced interplanetary transfer (that one confuses the hell out of me), using small/mid-sized probes that have anywhere upto 3km/s delta for their interplanetary burns; and I always end up short of fuel, whether I aim for Duna, Eve, or Moho.

I take the time to wait for optimal launch windows, from a 90-100km parking orbit around Kerbin, but every probe I send, usually somewhere after leaving Kerbin SOI, no matter how I try to use MJ, I can not seem to get a close enough approach to even get a slingshot orbit, let alone a new parking orbit. Could anyone explain the steps, or walk me through using MJ on these interplanetary burns?

Feature request:

Now that maneuver nodes need to be researched, I have put Orbital Speed and Circular Orbit Speed together in my Orbit window. However, it would be nice to have a "Burn time to circularize" or even a "Time to circularization burn" (just as we have the "Time to suicide burn").

Which brings me to a very cool thing you could implement when you have plenty of time and energy:

In the Custom Window Editor, add [Custom entry], which gives a pop-up where you can enter text.

Enter "[Circle it out in]=(([Orbital Speed]-[Circular Orbit Speed])/[Max Acceleration])/2"

MechJeb adds the custom item.

Even cooler: While entering the formula, you can click on other visible items to insert their tag, just as Excel inserts a reference if you click on a cell while entering a formula.

This is possible because the implementation of fuel lines has completely changed in 0.90. However, it would be helpful if you could provide an example craft, a screenshot of the deltaV window and a description of exactly what you think is wrong...

Yes, happens to me to. MechJeb ignores fuel lines IN THE EDITOR ONLY. If you go to the launch pad. Everything is as normal.

Lately (pre-0.90) I was having trouble doing MJ controlled interplanetary burns. I've tried using everything except the advanced interplanetary transfer (that one confuses the hell out of me), using small/mid-sized probes that have anywhere upto 3km/s delta for their interplanetary burns; and I always end up short of fuel, whether I aim for Duna, Eve, or Moho.

I take the time to wait for optimal launch windows, from a 90-100km parking orbit around Kerbin, but every probe I send, usually somewhere after leaving Kerbin SOI, no matter how I try to use MJ, I can not seem to get a close enough approach to even get a slingshot orbit, let alone a new parking orbit. Could anyone explain the steps, or walk me through using MJ on these interplanetary burns?

Select planet as target

To use Maneuver Planner's "Advanced transfer", don't mind all the settings and the screaming colors. Just press "Create and execute". It will choose the best transfer available. (If it is in a long time, you may want to start from a high orbit to enable maximum wrap. You can see in how long time it will be under the label "Departure in")

Use Wrap Helper to warp to SoI. (Warning: Never warp across SoI boundaries. Doing so can throw off your trajectory considerably.)

Use Maneuver Planner's "Fine tune closest approach".

Use Wrap Helper to warp to SoI.

Use Maneuver Planner's "Circularize: at periapsis".