WW2 Warships 0.5.1 - Is there actually something happening? Stay tuned!

Azimech

1 hour ago, Lord_Potato said:

No, I haven't used the forums for a while. How?

The button on the lower right when in the editor is called "insert other media". Paste the direct link from the imgur image into it.

Alternatively you can post an album using the black button with the white/green letter i, use the album ID (5 character numbers/letters).

i might just be an absolute potato but i simply cant get that kerbpaint thing to work.. i removed the old version of module manager inside its plugin folder and put the newest version out into the main gamedata folder...

any1 know what im doing wrong? because right now my ship is just one big white block of snow :P

EDIT:

NVM i got it to work :D just the game being potato :D

Edited by viceguy

1 hour ago, viceguy said:

i might just be an absolute potato but i simply cant get that kerbpaint thing to work.. i removed the old version of module manager inside its plugin folder and put the newest version out into the main gamedata folder...

any1 know what im doing wrong? because right now my ship is just one big white block of snow :P

Did you delete any old versions and install 0.4?

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

Did you delete any old versions and install 0.4?

yeah i did a complete reinstall of all game and the mods for this mod :D

I have made a ship now :D first ship in the newest version... bridge is fugly but apart from that im rather happy

it have the following stats:

345 parts

42,461.4T

Height: 61.5m

Width: 29.1m

Lenght: 207.9m

Weapons:

6 X 12.5"/38 Naval Gun

8 X 3.7 cm SK C/30 AA Gun Double

1 X Goalkeeper CIWS

2 X Vickers 14 inch /45 Naval Twin turret

1 X 46cm /45 Type 94 Naval Triple Turret

6 X Mark 14 Triple Mount Torpedo Tubes

it also have some smoke countermeassures just for the lolz

it is powed by 2 Large ship turbines, 2 electric generators and 6 large ship boilers

Edited by viceguy

I have just one small problem, after launching the ship with Hyper edit and steaming away from the shore, stopping the ship at sea and switching to an aircraft for fly by pics.

When I click target the ship, it rises into the air a good 100m or so and falls back, and breaks up. I am controlling the aircraft.

Just the mods needed for ships on a clean stk105 build. Any one else seeing this.??

45 minutes ago, algwat said:

I have just one small problem, after launching the ship with Hyper edit and steaming away from the shore, stopping the ship at sea and switching to an aircraft for fly by pics.

When I click target the ship, it rises into the air a good 100m or so and falls back, and breaks up. I am controlling the aircraft.

Just the mods needed for ships on a clean stk105 build. Any one else seeing this.??

It's a stock 1.0.5 bug, Nathan Kell has already written a patch for it, it will be included in 1.1.

58 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I made my shot at a USS Lake Champlain, it worked out. I couldnt get the color to work and it has an issue with floating. More testing is needed...

I wasn't aiming for scale, I just eyballed the living bujeezus out of it.

Very nice!

Could you please delete this old version and download 0.4?

1 hour ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

When I was going to get the new version, kerbalstuff was giving me some issues, but I will get an updated version sometime this week and try to get her afloat.

Would you like to tell what issues you were experiencing? I was going to write them anyway, I see people are still downloading old versions but if I remove them I lose the changelog and stats. There should be a download lock if there isn't.

Soon to be released: "Big Ships", WW2W's sister mod. 100% compatible with each other, even more parts and the future possibility to build docks. Some dock parts will already be included. The sinking mechanic is simple compared to WW2W, so you can sink Big Ships but they don't make water, it's just a matter of destroying buoyant parts.

Here's the cargo ship that will be included. It's a bit high on part count, 566. Feel free to do with it as you please. The rear of the ship has a complex interiour. Let me just say that the explosions are awesome!

42 minutes ago, Azimech said:

The sinking mechanic is simple compared to WW2W, so you can sink Big Ships but they don't make water, it's just a matter of destroying buoyant parts.

First of all, excellent work! These mods may prevent me from ever going to space again. 

Though, why is the other mod's sinking model different? Is it simpler to calculate or something?

I'm presuming it's only a matter of time before Big Ships gets a Kerbal Krash System modlet?

I think the idea of leaving the bridge open is smart. IVAs are the death of modders, you're as well to give us a blank slate to do our own. Ideally they need some kind of aero occlusion, so stray Kerbals and objects don't get pinned to the back wall with the drag of full steam at x4 physics warp.

WW2W version 0.41 is online!

Big Ships is online!

37 minutes ago, Lord_Potato said:

First of all, excellent work! These mods may prevent me from ever going to space again. 

Though, why is the other mod's sinking model different? Is it simpler to calculate or something?

Yes, all the hull plating parts in WW2W have converters, pumps, generators, radiators etc. All for the joy of warfare and future multiplayer gaming. Big Ships doesn't need all that stuff (although you're free to beat the s*&t out of them).

11 minutes ago, colmo said:

I'm presuming it's only a matter of time before Big Ships gets a Kerbal Krash System modlet?

I think the idea of leaving the bridge open is smart. IVAs are the death of modders, you're as well to give us a blank slate to do our own. Ideally they need some kind of aero occlusion, so stray Kerbals and objects don't get pinned to the back wall with the drag of full steam at x4 physics warp.

Once KKS has the right configuration tools, I'll start implementing it.

Yes, IVA stuff isn't needed for multiplayer gaming, not a single soul would do such a thing as sit in IVA and lose situational awareness. Squad would be nice to fix the bug with the kerbals though, then they wouldn't even need aero occlusion.

Edited by Azimech

The flexibility of having a big assortment of parts ranging from tiny to huge, gives me another vision for the future. So in my mind I'm also building the framework for a third big mod: Capital Ships. This time we go to space again. Based on a Star Trekian way of thinking, it shall involve complex energy management like diverting power between subsystems like it's growing in WW2W, the ability to repair subsystems after taking damage (automated - costs energy and finite resources -inefficient) or using kerbals. Weapon systems would be energy only -  BDA lasers in multiple sizes, damage rating, laser colour, cooling and energy requirement.

A good example of how strategy will be dominant is how I plan to do movement in space: good maneuverability but weak engines. And the engines cost a lot of energy too. This means outrunning your enemy won't be your main priority, because it would expose your engines to fire and the acceleration is limited. You can't put a lot of engines on a frigate to outrun a battleship too, because then you need more (heavy!) reactors, and every reactor needs cooling plus a minimum of three resources, which are also needed for other systems (refineries, lasers, attitude control). There won't be a single electrical source like it is in stock game but multiple circuits, one for each subsystem. Complex and slow, fast paced action is something for jets, not capital ships.

Here's a rudimentary screenshot of something looking more like an office building. Note the different colours to identify which deck you're traveling to.

This will be something for the far future, don't worry I won't divert much of my mental energy away from WW2W but I do wish to see a wishlist from you guys.

Edited by Azimech

19 minutes ago, Laughing Man said:

Do you have any plans for making preset hulls for those of us too lazy to make a ship out of the individual parts? As in one hull = one part.

I'm afraid not, for a number of reasons. Every mod has and will have an example ship but beyond that ... And laziness ... it all depends on how much fun you get from a game ;-)