Locked camera view

Hysterrics

I use it a lot, I like to face my rockets east and do the ascent to orbit in locked camera mode, that way I can see the ground fall away above me much like it does with real spacecraft.

Gravity turning [I]sideways[/I] never looked right, and can't be comfortable...

Same as above. Perfect for when you want to point at a direction relative to your craft: docking, flying a plane...
Unlike chase which often drift for no real reasons.

On top of it, RCS burns always make sense in locked mode, because the vertical and horizontal axis are matching the navball one. If you go to locked and put yourself behind your craft, I/K will do vertical burns that will move your craft toward the top (K) or the bottom (I) of your screen. Likewise for J/L (though looking at your craft from the front in locked mode will look like J/L are reversed).

Nobody has mentioned rovers yet, so I will. Locked mode is great, providing you've got a Kerbal pilot/driver... with a probe core piloting, it tends to flip the view upside-down. Locked mode with the rover can suck badly however if you flip the rover, the resulting tumbling view is very disorienting and makes it hard to get a grasp on 'countermeasures' (if you've got them installed lol).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.