[STOCK] Walker -Grasshopper-

Bubbadevlin Presents

The Cricket Walker

g8QGBTU.png

This is another walker i have created, and it is a huge improvement, almost practical!

Download

In KSP walkers have always been impractical, even when its modded. The advantage of walkers in real life is that they can easily scale small bumps, like rocks and fallen trees. These things don't exist in KSP, making rover wheels better than walkers in every way. My original walker was highly impractical, and basically a proof of concept. It only worked on Kerbin, had an insane part count. and no purpose.

This new walker is better. It has a part count of 275, (thanks greatly to the infinite offset mod) nearly HALF of the concept design. It also has a purpose, the Cricket can carry 8 Kerbals over a variety of worlds. This is because of its revolutionary drive system.

The DNBSD or the "Direct Narrow Band Scanner Drive" This uses a spinning narrow band scanner, that collides with a cage, and spins the axle. These drives require no energy, not even electricity, however they have a limited RPM and cannot carry heavy loads. This is because of KSP bearings are not perfect, when heavy loads are excreted on them, they become slightly uncentered, however the Narrow band scanner remains perfectly centered.

*NOTE* if you hyperedit this craft anywhere, decouple the legs then time warp. For some reason it gets glitched out if you do not timewarp

Edited by Bubbadevlin

Nice one dude! And thank Kod for the no offset limit tool!

Its been cool watching the development of stock bearings, they unlocked the ability to do this from the start but I really think the offset limit stooped it happening sooner. Congratulations again on a stock first.

I have been testing the spinning antennas recently for something, I am so glad they have a mesh!

MJ

Edited by Majorjim

Just now, Bubbadevlin said:

Thanks!, and yea, the infinite offset tool is so so useful, although to be honest, it should REALLY be in the alt-f12 menu 

Yup 100% agreed. The game doesn't mind it too much either, if you know what you are doing. :wink:

How long did it take to make it work?

Just now, Bubbadevlin said:

It was actually surprisingly simple, 

I just had to redesign the bearing a few times, and also make sure the craft was light enough.

You have to make sure you dont put too much torque on it :)

I had a feeling. Once the bearing is made its all offsetting and trying to keep track of how things will move. That can get confusing after a long day.

I hope you have some more ideas because I would love to see what else you can come up with.

How feasible is it to miniaturize?

48 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Lol, you asked if i could miniaturize the other walker i think.. :P 

This is just about the smallest i can make a walker, and the DNBSD has to be at least as big as the narrow band scanner :P

Ha ha.. Yeah I can believe that. I am on a bit of a mission. The video was awesome too dude.

17 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

What, so how exactly did you use the Narrow Band scanner spin?

It was theorised it could be used as a power source ever since it was release. I am 90% sure someone has released a craft using it as a power source before but I could be wrong. I have done tests in the past and it does indeed work as Bubbadevin has demonstrated here.

They are very fragile though. All you have to do is surround it with a cage that will become separate from the Antenna. then attach the part that will turn the wheel or bearing.

Edited by Majorjim

Thanks for all the responses, and likes, guys!, i was a little busy yesterday :(

To be honest i had really hoped this would make more of an impact, considering the HUGE response to my original walker, but hey, once someone has done it once, its not nearly as cool :)

Edited by Bubbadevlin

36 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Thanks for all the responses, and likes, guys!, i was a little busy yesterday :(

To be honest i had really hoped this would make more of an impact, considering the HUGE response to my original walker, but hey, once someone has done it once, its not nearly as cool :)

It's the new forum man. Hardly anyone here.

16 hours ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Lol thanks Majorjim.. :P 

And yea, i guess A LOT of this activity is from RB and dont really pay attention to a lot of crafts :P

It really is slow after the forum update. As RIC said its just a lull.

I have been doing some experiments with my micro hinge and without giving too much away I am using the antennas on the test rig.

I have refined it a lot and they still pop off sometimes when the load changes. I downloaded your walker knowing that you used the same method. Your did pop off too from time to time. I think it's just a limitation of that method. I will test and see if it's possible to improve the reliability at all.

• 6 months later...

I just saw this, and i have been looking for something like this for a long time. I am so in debt to your genius, as that is the only way to put it :0

I don't know how i didn't figure this out before, but i am glad it's here and development on my end is continuing.

-edit-

also i do believe i have made a smaller version of your device, and it is really stable. I was able to make a small bike, among other things pictures here:

9LDtMTk.png

g4o5IrN.png

and the link to the subassembly

Edited by Spacepigu

Just now, Spacepigu said:

was able to make a small bike,

Where pics of bike!? :(

I think the one you posted is very similar to Bubbadevlin's unless i am mistaken. I made one for my stock tank track experiment a while back:

If done right they are very reliable!

The bike is a little awkward, and made just so one of my friends could see them in action, but here it is:

it goes backwards, so just an experiment.

b9PfTJi.png

TkS93MA.png

Also, can i get a link to the infinite offset tool?

Edited by Spacepigu

Haha thanks! Yea.. currently the Grasshopper is broken because of the max wheel stress thing.. :/

But yea, narrow band scanner drives can be VERY useful, just a little slow and complex

On another note, I am going to be more active, now that school is out, so expect some new craft coming soon! (might not be a walker though.. 1.1.2 bearings are tough)

Edited by Bubbadevlin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.