Land on damaged runway?

At various times in history, aircraft, usually military types, have been designed with the capability to land on "unimproved" runways or ones that are paved but have some damage.

Is it possible to land on the KSC runway after it's been damaged?

In my experience, it depends on 3 factors: aircraft stability, landing speed, and wheel positioning. I have personally landed some of my more stable planes on a broken runway, but when I start to use large planes with less stability, I get explosions. Also, I think of it a lot like landing in the rockier areas of Kerbin. When I land in rocky areas, I need to land slow, so my breaks can kick in and I stop quickly. That is the same with landing on a broken runway. Also, as is true for any landing, wheel positioning is important, and wider wheels near COM really help. 

To paraphrase, I have landed on the KSP runway when it was broken, but only with a slow landing speed, and a stable plane

Hope this helps! :D

5 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Call me crazy but wouldn't it be easier to just land over in the grass?

Or are we just doing it for the sheer challenge it presents?

I've always reverted whenever I damaged the runway so I've never tried honestly.

Yeah its way easier to land on the grass, but were assuming that if we land on the grass, we will die. So we're just hypothesizing about if it is possible or not.

7 hours ago, Barrrrry said:

Yeah its way easier to land on the grass, but were assuming that if we land on the grass, we will die. So we're just hypothesizing about if it is possible or not.

It was raining a lot and enemy forces have busted up the runway. The ground is a muddy mess that will cause planes to flip so the only choice is to attempt to land your returning aircraft on the damaged runway.

19 hours ago, Galane said:

At various times in history, aircraft, usually military types, have been designed with the capability to land on "unimproved" runways or ones that are paved but have some damage.

Is it possible to land on the KSC runway after it's been damaged?

Land in the grass beside the runway, then taxi onto whatever part of it looks least likely to give problems.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.