The Saga of Emiko Station - Complete

Just Jim

32 minutes ago, Andem said:

@Geschosskopf You want to see a tool? An ULTIMATE TOOL? Look up a WWI Trench knife. How do ya like me know, Thompberry? Seriously, those things can go straight through a steel helmet.

Don't forget to get yourself a nice trench broom to sweep up with once you're done... :)

5 hours ago, Andem said:

Hmm. I don't know what could cause that. It doesn't, but free IVA allows you to move kerbals around. You Used to be able to go through the walls, but the dev added a collision mesh to the parts. 

Awwww man.... I screwed around with this most of the day, then went back and read this on the Free IVA thread:

Collision

At this point, there's nothing to impede your movement. You can travel right through hatches, bulkheads and the hull, off into space. This will need to be solved by writing custom collision methods for the character. My current intention is to use raycasting in the direction of travel to hit the part's collider from the inside, and implement character pushback based on this. After this point, other colliders for internal objects such as control panels could be added. Collision support has been added by creating primitive box colliders to create walls and internal objects.

I think this means it can't do a cutaway shot anymore

Edited by Just Jim

Well, I think I got all the screenshots I need for the next chapter, without a cutaway... bummer... but I'm not going to make everyone wait for another chapter until 1.1 comes out.  Tempting.... but I don't know if it will be another week from now, or another month.  

11 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

It's funny, all those years I heard my dad mentioning those I thought it was a "hooligan" tool. Makes perfect sense if you think about it.

There is, in fact, a Hooligan tool.  It's a modification of the Halligan.  I prefer the latter but both will get the job done.  But both are usually found in the hands of hooligans.

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I am really tempted, but right now all my extra play money is going towards a new computer...  :wink:

But can a new computer make a Mk2 window frame wide enough for you to crawl out of?  You have to set your priorities :D

11 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

When I started using FreeIVA, it had the "primitive colliders are now implemented" message. The first thing I did was have a kerbal walk through the wall of a hitchhiker. 

Hmmmm.. odd, I kept crashing into walls. But I was trying it mostly on a copula..... I didn't use it on a hitchhiker pod.

No big deal.  I've been playing "fun with Photoshop" all morning, and I've got some pics that will work great.  I'm going to make some lunch, then get things sorted and uploaded and hopefully get this written up later this evening sometime.

...it is always darkest before the dawn....

Chapter 40
:0.0:     Thompberry Station     :0.0:

How long had it been??? Hours? Days, perhaps? Locked inside the command cabin of what was once the proud Duna Station, gasping for what little air she had left, Kerenna Kerman couldn't remember... couldn't focus.... couldn't... breath...... all she knew was she had little time remaining.... before......

N5lkDvj.jpg

Lke7gDu.jpg

5CMibVu.jpg

Her vision was beginning to blur, and she knew she had only moments before she passed out... again. But would this... thing... this monstrosity that called itself Thompberry, would it turn the air back on after she was unconscious, or finally let her die in peace?

J7gfk7m.jpg

JO2dp3n.jpg

She tried to focus on Duna below her... tried to remember.... and even though she knew she was very likely going to die soon, she was more worried about the rest of the crew, and especially the twins, now locked in the Science Lab, than she was for her own life. 

HJBAR3g.jpg

Her poor niblings... they had been so horrified. Normally brave in the face of all sorts of mischief, this was something completely different, like their worst nightmare made real. How many times had they been told of the evil doctor Thompberry, the mad scientist that tried to abduct their parents, steal Emiko Station, and almost kill Kerenna not once, but twice? This was no normal fear... this was something they had grown up with, a monster from their almost nightly bedtime stories they only half-believed. But now it had returned, ranting some wild tale of brains in pods and dead krakens and wormholes....

And the poor twins now knew the monstrous doctor Thompberry was very, very real, and they were petrified with terror!

Back at KASA mission control, Gene Kerman paced back and forth in the dark night, feeling more alone and defeated than ever, and wondering if it would be easier to just jump from the roof and end it all now.... but that was the easy way out, and Gene... well, Gene wasn't like that. He would find a way out of this... somehow... he swore to himself.

KmvU3v9.jpg

a5cpbJX.jpg

pShMUEa.jpg

Di4G4Ap.jpg

It had all happened so fast. Once this thing... whatever it was, took control of the Raptor shuttle on Ike, system after system all thru out the KASA network began to shut down. Too late did dr. von Kerman realize the entire computer system was infested with some sort of malignant programming... in just seconds this monstrosity had full control of KASA, the ships, stations, bases, everything. And with an almost casual grace, it docked itself to Duna Station, and assumed full control of it as well. Then it demanded Kerenna to proceed at once to the command pod... or the children would die.

AJOYyQj.jpg

hAwD4b8.jpg

l5q4R46.jpg

The crew onboard never stood a chance, and even the stoic Val and Bill Kerman felt genuine terror for the first time in their lives.

qFWl8AP.jpg

BQxxOK5.jpg

Once Thompberry had docked, he sent the raptor to fetch Jeb and Bob from the diamondback, threatening to kill everyone onboard the station if they did not cooperate. Afterwards he... it.... decided the doodlebug could be a nuisance, and flew it to a safe distance before he self-destructed it.

6MKlbPD.jpg

7nr3li9.jpg

cKluU4u.jpg

l25MptU.jpg

Back at mission control, Thompberry began to rant again into Gene's helmet. Quite by accident did he learn of Gene's feelings towards Kerenna, and he was ecstatic at the viciousness of it. He had chosen Kerenna to torture first only because she had annoyed him more than the others. But learning Gene actually loved Kerenna... this was just too delicious, and Thompberry knew it wouldn't be long before he submitted.

"Gene.... Gene.... why must this continue?  Do you hear her, Gene?  Do you hear her gasping?  Shall I turn up the volume?"

Looking up, Gene screamed, "Stop... please... stop.... Not her... NOT HER!!!!!"

But Thompberry was not about to stop. Not now. Not after his discovery! Long had he dreamed of this moment, his final act of revenge. But now, oddly, it seemed less important, almost a distraction compared to his latest revelation.

Once he had docked with Duna Station, along with seizing control and unleashing his myriad spy-virus's thru out KASA, he began to download and collate the data he had gathered while in the wormhole. Despite the loss of the modified Chariot, he had managed to upload much of the data, and now that he had a chance to examine it, he found the results staggering! 

How many days, nights... years... did he sit alone on Bop, dreaming of revenge on those that had foiled his plans.... hundreds... thousands??? But if this data was correct, then his plans were not foiled at all, in fact, he may have made a monumental revelation!!!!!!! 
He.... it.... had to get back to Kerbin, and the Mun, and his revenge could wait.

"Gene.... please.... <gurgle> end this foolishness... you cannot win, do you hear me? <gurgle slobber> I will kill her, slowly, and then Jeb, Bob, Bill.... and I will make Val watch before I get to her. And understand this, Gene <gurgle> I will not stop there. If you do not relent to my demands this second, I will turn my attention to the twins. <slobber> The twins, Gene... Gene... they are locked in the Science Lab.... <gurgle, gurgle> do you understand? Do you have any idea what delicious things I can do to them in there.... Gene?? Do you know what kind of <gurgle> experiments I can run.... on them???"

RVIv62e.jpg

EMEGvAT.jpg

UwIpmjU.jpg

Ni7sRLM.jpg

Bq0X0kL.jpg

uuupvt0.jpg

MMYKk4a.jpg

It was too much, and looking up at the sky, Gene screamed, "You win!!! You... win..... I.... I.... Oh may the gods forgive me... I surrender. Just stop, please... stop."

8cwqIW3.jpg

SElNO7e.jpg

In an instant, Kerenna felt the cabin temperature returning to normal, and heard the air vents turning back on over her head.... and she knew she would survive, at least for now. Softly, she began to weep... Her poor, beloved Gene. He had loved her after all.... but the love she had so greatly desired may have cost them everything.

auEqcOS.jpg

rxmVZzS.jpg

SZjlGGk.jpg

Now completely broken, Gene turned and headed back into mission control.... to what end he did not know. All the while that horrible voice slobbering into his helmet.

"Gene... Gene... why so sad???  You must understand me... <slobber> I do not wish to kill anyone..... and as long as you behave <gurgle> no-one need die...<gurgle> I wish my slaves to be happy in their new lives!!"

SUX9YuN.jpg

TTkQjQc.jpg

Gene sighed, "What is it you wish of me?"

Thompberry seemed to bubble and laugh, and much to Gene's surprise, replied, "Ahh, Gene, that is better. <gurgle> You may make a useful thrall yet. <gurgle bubble> For now my instructions are quite simple. <gurgle> I have been scanning your personal computer <slobber> and I see your R&D department is requesting you <bubble bubble> build and launch a remote science outpost to <bubble gurbgle> explore the surface of Eve... is this correct?""

"This is.... correct," Gene said, surprised and somewhat suspicious at this strange inquiry.

"Excellent... excellent..... this is now your first priority. But Gene... <slobber> This is to be a science outpost.... but with no scientist on board? <gurgle> Oh, Gene... no... this is not acceptable <bubble gurgle> no, not acceptable at all...  You will change this at once."

"But..." Gene gasped, now horrified at the thought, "We have found no way off Eve.... whoever we send there will be trapped on the surface... possibly forever!"

Thompberry slobbered and laughed in glee. "Oh... yesssss.... yes he will.  <gurgle> And I have just the right Kerbal for the job...."

j4wxH54.jpg

The Saga of Emiko Station is far, far from over.

Go to Chapter 41
Return to Index

Edited by Just Jim

30 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

"Oh... yesssss.... yes he will.  <gurgle>  And I have just the right Kerbal for the job...."

Well, Piper can kiss her butt goodbye.

This is definitely a Khan rant moment:

"I don't need to kill you Piper.

I hurt you. 
And I want to continue ...to hurt you.

I will leave you on Eve, marooned to a hostile, barren world...
.......stranded alive for all eternity...

....just as I was on that miserable probe....stranded alive....

...all alone....stranded alive...."

ps. Great job on the blurry IVA scenes. Worked pretty good for the conditions!
-G

Edited by GDJ

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Back at KASA mission control, Gene Kerman paced back and forth in the dark night, feeling more alone and defeated than ever, and wondering if it would be easier to just jump from the roof and end it all now.

..... WELL THAT TOOK A DARK TURN, NOW, DIDN'T IT!? O.o

Considering I have been reading since the very start of this saga (I'm pretty sure I was the first too) I feel like I know these characters. Almost like they aren't just computer simulations but real people, with real emotions. Seeing them being held captive by Thompberry is just.... terrifying....

(I'm just glad that Gene didn't jump though... out of all the NPC's Gene's my favourite :P )

24 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

..... WELL THAT TOOK A DARK TURN, NOW, DIDN'T IT!? O.o

Considering I have been reading since the very start of this saga (I'm pretty sure I was the first too) I feel like I know these characters. Almost like they aren't just computer simulations but real people, with real emotions. Seeing them being held captive by Thompberry is just.... terrifying....

(I'm just glad that Gene didn't jump though... out of all the NPC's Gene's my favourite :P )

Yup.  I feel like I should have maybe ended this chapter like:

Will our heroes be able to get out of this mess???
Or is Kerbin doomed to become Thompberry's new empire?

Stay tuned for Chapter 41.........

In fact, I think I'll add that... 

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, GDJ said:
2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

"Oh... yesssss.... yes he will.  <gurgle>  And I have just the right Kerbal for the job...."

Well, Piper can kiss her butt goodbye.

No, wait - Thompberry said "he," so he's not referring to Piper!

There's still hope!

Uh-oh. Thompberry's really in for it now. He has docked himself to a station which contains, among other things:

• An assortment of kerbals
  • Spacesuits for many if not all of those kerbals
  • At least three containers of tools (read: implements of destruction)
  • Children with access to all three of those containers.
  • Not one, but two BadS's that don't fear death.
  • Numerous containers of science (AKA THE ULTIMATE WEAPON!!!).
  • At least one fire extinguisher, a viable window breaker or battering ram
  • At least 3 containers of air, useful as a LS backup

And what does Thompberry have? Let's see:

• Control over LS, allowing him to slowly kill all the kerbals onboard, UNLESS they use spacesuits or the air containers from the lab. Even if they don't, they'll still have hours to live, hours in which he no longer has any bargaining power.
  • Serious power over KASA as a whole due to his hostages, although this does not affect the hostages themselves.
  • A virus that has taken out most of the KASA computers. But remember, we humans made it to the moon with a computer that, if I remember correctly, was on par with a modern calculator. Also, it won't affect any newly made or outsourced computers, provided they don't connect to Duna Station.
  • Does not require LS, and cannot age. Can rust/corrode in certain situations.
  • Ability to lock hatches. Stops being useful if somebody gets a screwdriver, drill, crowbar, hammer, or (improvised) halligan.

So, in conclusion, DUNA STATION RIOT!!!

Super Villain will take the opportunity to tell everyone in captivity his plan. Captives include children, who have the innate ability to see the holes in said plans. Children then foil villain's plan 007 Kerbal-style exploiting the holes in said plan. Thompberry would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.