HAMMERHEAD - Prototype Lander

HANNIBALLA

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to present the Hammerhead Lander. This is my first attempt at lander such as this. Can be flown from its external command seat, or from its top mounted docking port. Features just under 5k dv. This is the prototype for the design, so any questions, comments, or criticisms are greatly appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mx0vsggijvpxy9/HAMMERHEAD%20LANDER.craft?dl=0

4E4prmP.png

ZtdQJu5.png

lx5OMP8.png

Edited by HANNIBALLA
Added link to craft file!

Looking good. With 2 aerospikes it must have some serious thrust, and looks like it has some rotation authority too.

Landers are great fun, keep up the nice work. My only suggestion at this point would be landing gear instead of legs, but thats personal preference really.

44 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Looking good. With 2 aerospikes it must have some serious thrust, and looks like it has some rotation authority too.

Landers are great fun, keep up the nice work. My only suggestion at this point would be landing gear instead of legs, but thats personal preference really.

Thanks for the input. I really don't like the legs and I will give the landing gears a try.

2 hours ago, Kozak said:

@Cupcake...

Ye might wanna see this cupcake.

Lol reminds me of one of Cupcakes landers.

This was built after watching Cupcakes' videos. The original design was called, "The DropCake."

Edited by HANNIBALLA
Spelling.

I assume the command chair is inside the utility bay?  I do not know if you have a mobility enhancer inside there, but I would recommend one if you do not.  Not all planets are going to have gravity conducive to jetpacking up there, and the design is a little hard to clammer over to get to the control seat.

32 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

I assume the command chair is inside the utility bay?  I do not know if you have a mobility enhancer inside there, but I would recommend one if you do not.  Not all planets are going to have gravity conducive to jetpacking up there, and the design is a little hard to clammer over to get to the control seat.

On the surface of Tylo a kerbal can still click on the seat from standing on the surface. I appreciate the input, the next revision will have a ladder, in case there are times where the surface prevents clicking.

KJeR4pf.png

On 15/12/2015, 9:12:18, HANNIBALLA said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to present the Hammerhead Lander. This is my first attempt at lander such as this. Can be flown from its external command seat, or from its top mounted docking port. Features just under 5k dv. This is the prototype for the design, so any questions, comments, or criticisms are greatly appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mx0vsggijvpxy9/HAMMERHEAD%20LANDER.craft?dl=0

Nice work! :D If I could offer any feedback it would be to add a bottom docking port (go cargo!), and bring the reaction wheels as close to the materials bay as you can (better handling). It might also be worth moving the engines out a bit so you can haul ISRU units, large ore tanks, science labs, etc...

Cupcake...

On 12/15/2015, 1:59:56, Fearless Son said:
55 minutes ago, Cupcake... said:

Nice work! :D If I could offer any feedback it would be to add a bottom docking port (go cargo!), and bring the reaction wheels as close to the materials bay as you can (better handling). It might also be worth moving the engines out a bit so you can haul ISRU units, large ore tanks, science labs, etc...

Cupcake...

I appreciate the feedback sir! Next version will have reflect the advice from this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.