What the what? Parts colliding with launch pad while in ORBIT....

tg626

Something like that happened to me when i was about to land a SSTO in 1.02sReWl4J.png

I wasn't using Hyperedit at the time and i don't think Kerbal Engineer does that. It became nearly uncontrollable, but I somehow got it to the runway. Then this happened:LeLV3gt.png

:confused:

17 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Apparently, it's to hard to reproduce.  It's been around for ever.

This, it predates 1.0 at least. I've been struck by it, too, but repro steps are very hard to come by, even loading a quicksave from before it happens sometimes doesn't trigger it again.

The first time I left an SSTO in orbit for any length of time this happened.. You have to leave the SSTO/winged craft in orbit for a while, it will most likely happen then.

I don't think I have ever heard Squad say anything about this very old and game breaking bug. Perhaps now the game is released it is a good time to fix the game.

Problem is; without being able to reproduce it reliably; it's very hard to track down the bug; while the bug IS very bad (randomly destroying crafts is usually considered "bad") it's likely very hard to fix.

That said, I'd imagine the issue has something to do with the fact that KSP recenters the origin on the craft position (in other words, resetting the craft position in the world space to 0,0,0, and moving everything else entirely), and the buildings for one short moment overlapping the craft. I can't know for sure, though, that's just a guess. Still; that's the first time I've seen it happen in orbit (usually it happens on approach with the runway, with a plane going fast), so it seems to happen less frequently the further you go from Kerbin. That could be a clue. Also, the KSC is visible from orbit, so yes, it is being rendered while in orbit, which means the "crashing into the KSC in orbit" bug is very likely the same bug as "crashing into the KSC on runway approach" bug.

</speculation>

This must be what caused my (otherwise successful) prototype Cargobird to lose its vertical stabilizers in LKO yesterday. It was OK, I got to field a rescue mission but suddenly losing bits of wing parts is disconcerting.

If I knew what caused it, it would indeed have been fixed in 1.0.5.

A note on reproducing bugs, because there might be some confusion. The point of good reproduction steps is not at all something like "prove to me it's real", it's the following. I need to be able to reliably reproduce the issue in the Unity Editor, so I can more easily find what's going wrong, and then I need to be able to maintain the same repro steps to verify the fix worked.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.