[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

Off topic: remember that long Belgian weekend I mentioned, with our national holiday? That's now.

On topic: some users are developers too, and care to take a look at the github repository. You may notice that the last commit in the master branch was on April 19, which is a metric that matters infinitely more than forum visits (because visiting a forum distracts from actually getting work done).

Anyone who wants to help out, can take a look at the open issues, then fork the repo, make the changes themselves (which means doing some actual programming!), and then submit a pull request. Yeah you are allowed to do that, MIT license says so. If you're lucky, the pull request gets merged.

So stop complaining and start programming!

10 hours ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Im having a glitch with it.... when i try loading it, it repeatadly crashes. yes i know it might crash some times but this crashed 20 times. PLEASE HELP

Look at the last page.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2016 at 5:43 PM, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Im having a glitch with it.... when i try loading it, it repeatadly crashes. yes i know it might crash some times but this crashed 20 times. PLEASE HELP

The Update will come eventually, do not rush the Creator of the mod, as he will do it over at his own leisure. 

10 hours ago, Imperium_Titan_Roma said:

The Update will come eventually, do not rush the Creator of the mod, as he will do it over at his own leisure. 

I'm increasingly beginning to believe there wont be an update, so dont get your hopes up.

Edited by RA3236

So, how much would it cost to pay to have this updated? I'm totally willing to throw some money at this.

EDIT: And by this I mean, how much money in the tip jar would make it worth it for the author or someone else to update this to work with the current version?

Edited by JordanL

On 7/24/2016 at 4:43 PM, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Yeah this has been broken for a long time now. Please look at the previous forum posts before posting.

is the an alternative? I remember there was a good simple downconverted but still looking alright parts "mod" that reduced ksp folder size by a bit and didn't add any mod loading time, while providing performance - Squad Texture Reduction Pack, is there something like that for 1.1.3?

Edited by gendalf

2 hours ago, gendalf said:

is the an alternative? I remember there was a good simple downconverted but still looking alright parts "mod" that reduced ksp folder size by a bit and didn't add any mod loading time, while providing performance, is there some thing like that for 1.1.3?

Yes. Use the 64-bit executable and have sufficient physical memory. DTL is _obsolete_.

Yes. Use the 64-bit executable and have sufficient physical memory. DTL is _obsolete_.

damerell, it's the same as "buy a new PC" - completely unhelpful and has nothing to do with the question asked :rolleyes:

Texture Reduction Pack got abandoned, because it was replaced by the Active Texture Management, even though the new mod wasn't reducing folder size and was stressing performance on load, but only the first time after the mod was installed.. Then Dynamic Texture Loader has come out and now there isn't any working performance mods.

Edited by gendalf

7 hours ago, gendalf said:

damerell, it's the same as "buy a new PC" - completely unhelpful and has nothing to do with the question asked :rolleyes:

No, it's not. The problem DTL solved on Windows is now fixed in software. I really don't understand why you people keep coming back asking about a mod that worked around a deficiency of the 32-bit Windows KSP.

Edited by damerell

1 hour ago, damerell said:

No, it's not. The problem DTL solved on Windows is now fixed in software. I really don't understand why you people keep coming back asking about a mod that worked around a deficiency of the 32-bit Windows KSP.

The problem DTL solved was that all textures were loaded at once, increasing used memory, NOT memory from physics calculations and such. 64-bit only allows more RAM to be used and has more available space for calculationsI have no clue. I haven't heard of any software-related program that does the same as DTL.

2 hours ago, RA3236 said:

The problem DTL solved was that all textures were loaded at once, increasing used memory, NOT memory from physics calculations and such. 64-bit only allows more RAM to be used and has more available space for calculationsI have no clue. I haven't heard of any software-related program that does the same as DTL.

The problem DTL solved was running out of address space. 64-bit KSP fixes this problem.

57 minutes ago, damerell said:

The problem DTL solved was running out of address space. 64-bit KSP fixes this problem.

No. The problem DTL solved was the problem of, well, let's see, Dynamic Texture Loading. with DTL, you get increased performance, Decreased RAM usage, and (IMO) better stability. 64bit does one thing, sometimes. It increases performance if you have a monster PC, it increases RAM usage, and still crashes about as often as the 32bit executable.

8 hours ago, Andem said:

No. The problem DTL solved was the problem of, well, let's see, Dynamic Texture Loading. with DTL, you get increased performance, Decreased RAM usage, and (IMO) better stability. 64bit does one thing, sometimes. It increases performance if you have a monster PC, it increases RAM usage, and still crashes about as often as the 32bit executable.

Increased performance? Funny how everything the mod author listed in the OP is _decreased_ performance. Still, what do they know?

Decreased RAM usage, yes. Which used to matter when you could run out of 32-bit address space. Now it doesn't. (Don't come back and say "not everyone has that much RAM". Everyone has that much swap.)

Better stability? It certainly did that in the 32-bit days. In 64-bit? I doubt anyone knows, and no, your subjective impressions are not facts.

56 minutes ago, damerell said:

(Don't come back and say "not everyone has that much RAM". Everyone has that much swap.)

SWAP IS NOT RAM.  In modern systems it is a really good substitute, but heavy swap usage will always be noticeable and annoying.  To the point of being game-stopping, in some cases.  RAM is several orders of magnitude faster than swap (and I mean that literally - SSDs in RAID-0 using dedicated controllers are ten times slower than RAM.  Everything else is hundreds or thousands of times slower), and will be for the near future at least - if it ever becomes near the same speed, it's likely computer architectures will change to eliminate the difference between long-term storage and short-term storage, and just keep everything in persistent storage.

Saying 'oh, just make it 64-bit and let the OS sort it out' is the type of thinking that made Arkham Knight's PC release a disaster.  Yes, you can map huge amounts of space, but using it intelligently is still important.  DTL helped KSP use that space intelligently, by only pulling in what was needed into that space.  The OS's swap algorithms can be very good, but they don't have the info to work with that DTL does on what KSP is going to need at any one time.

If you don't like or need the mod, fine.  There's no need for you to even open this thread.  Please don't disparage someone just for wanting what can be a useful tool.

1 hour ago, damerell said:

Increased performance? Funny how everything the mod author listed in the OP is _decreased_ performance. Still, what do they know?

Decreased RAM usage, yes. Which used to matter when you could run out of 32-bit address space. Now it doesn't. (Don't come back and say "not everyone has that much RAM". Everyone has that much swap.)

Better stability? It certainly did that in the 32-bit days. In 64-bit? I doubt anyone knows, and no, your subjective impressions are not facts.

Increased Performance overall. Decreased performance in the editor and during load times, obviously, but overall better performance.

In my experience, the longer KSP runs, the more RAM it eats. Eventually it'll strain the entire system.

And perhaps you should go look into the development discussion, maybe going back a page or two, and look at the evidence yourself.

On 13/09/2016 at 3:16 AM, DStaal said:

Saying 'oh, just make it 64-bit and let the OS sort it out' is the type of thinking that made Arkham Knight's PC release a disaster.  Yes, you can map huge amounts of space, but using it intelligently is still important.  DTL helped KSP use that space intelligently, by only pulling in what was needed into that space.  The OS's swap algorithms can be very good, but they don't have the info to work with that DTL does on what KSP is going to need at any one time.

If you don't like or need the mod, fine.  There's no need for you to even open this thread.  Please don't disparage someone just for wanting what can be a useful tool.

The OS's swap algorithm is more than up to working out that a texture that isn't on a part on the craft isn't needed. That's what DTL got you, minor improvements in the VAB aside.

I'm not trying to disparage people for wanting a useful tool. I'm pointing out they're largely imagining the utility. DTL was a killer idea in the days of 32-bit KSP; now it's not. It's unsurprising it hasn't been updated now it's largely obsolete.

On 13/09/2016 at 3:35 AM, Andem said:

In my experience, the longer KSP runs, the more RAM it eats. Eventually it'll strain the entire system.

Only if it touches the RAM it's leaking - and if it does, either DTL or swapping out unused textures is equally useful (good in the short run, futile in the long run) in dealing with such a leak.