Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) 1.6.1 - Milestones, Air Flights, Coast Guard

inigma

Just now, DiamondHawk427 said:

Amnazing mod, sir! really helps with actual plane usage. :)  Also, im a fan of your Space Shuttles, they work great!

Thank you for the feedback! I'm gald you like it!:D

So I just noticed something, everytime I complete the contract and inigma remains part of my crew roster, I've failed to complete the mission in the time frame given, think it's like 5 minutes? the contract still completes even though time expired. the first time I reported inigma being dead was the only time I completed the mission in less than 5 minutes. it seems that if you complete it fast enough inigma is removed as intended, but if you take too long, the contract still completes, but since the mission specs aren't met perfectly, inigma does not get removed.

3 hours ago, inigma said:

issue 100 should be resolved when Contract Configurator 1.9.3 is released.

Not that I mind having exra Kerbals around without the need to pick them from orbit. Since I installed GAP, I only go to space when I'm running low on money or when I really feel the need for some tech. "Only 15k funds remaining after rebuliding the VAB since I krashed a kopter on it? Just launching a quick Minmus probe, so I'll get to field more planes and subs."

I think I'd love if GAP presented alternative ways to get the required resources. Probably it even will, once I have the tech/rep for the more advanced contracts - like the STS ones. Cash is kinda' ok, but I feel science starved and I'm more interested in doing your contracts than the all-too-familiar orbital rescues. Thus Inigma Kerman is more than welcome, and if you are right and I'll get more personnel from the later SSI missions, I'll keep the release version. ^_^

11 hours ago, inigma said:

A bit of R&R:  a day trip with four of your astronauts.. offroading to the K2 mountains, and back to KSC. Could include a wingsuit to test out while there...

Neat idea. I'd also love if it was followed by a Mount Keverest contract (highest peak on Kerbin). It's farther, though it only means it needs more kreativity (or patience) to get there.

Also, did you consider SSTO missions? It's kinda' the last 'usually-not-involving-rockets' type of task GAP doesn't cover.

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

it seems that if you complete it fast enough inigma is removed as intended

I'm pretty sure that's not the case - I'm having Inigma on the save where I completed the contract on the first try in time.

Edited by Evanitis

8 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

I'm pretty sure that's not the case - I'm having Inigma on the save where I completed the contract on the first try in time.

Interesting, the last few tests I ran, inigma was always removed if I completed the mission in the time frame, he remained if not. will test further later.

Well, I think I will implement a global RemoveKerbal for all GAP spawned Kerbals after the release of CC 1.9.3. It will ensure proper clean up as most players will not want to get a free astronaut without their authorization. I may consider a contract where if you rescue a Kerbal and bring him to an aircraft carrier, that he gets assigned to your roster for good as a reward. This way the player opts in to such a result rather than just having it happen to them.

I did have in mind to create GAP as an alternative means to gather resources:

1. Funds

2. Science

3. Reputation

4. Astronaut Experience

You can see the reward matrix here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vmZkfWamAaeuTsKL1_yes4l-eoMTrmJZ9zvgp3NkjaM/edit?usp=sharing

If you have suggestions, let me know!

4 hours ago, inigma said:

I may consider a contract where if you rescue a Kerbal and bring him to an aircraft carrier, that he gets assigned to your roster for good as a reward. This way the player opts in to such a result rather than just having it happen to them.

I did have in mind to create GAP as an alternative means to gather resources:

Nice idea, most of it is already there.

Good to see the spreadsheet - the numbers are really... realistic. Everything looks in order if I compare it to stock rewards, taken that opposed to space exploration, GAP missions are low-investment, low-risk jobs. Since the crafts used are reusable, the mod provides a steady income of funds. Not comparable to a space program, but enough to keep itself running while slowly geting the cash for the few important upgrades. With minimal spacing on the side, money isn't a problem.

Rep reawrds felt all right too, astronaut experience... it might be really useful for astronauts, but they will get it anyways. I can't think of much use for those levels on Kerbin. 'Hold prograde and smile at the tourists.' is totally enough. :)

Your recent idea would cover the recuits the players might need.

That leaves only science, and that is currently painful. Theoretically you don't need much for GAP, but those nodes are sooo.. full of handy, fun, nice looking or otherwise appealing parts. And the sci rewards in the mod-contracts are a bit rare and low in the early career... and negligible in the middle game. This makes me feel forced back to space.

I wouldn't suggest touching the present payouts - as said, they look realistic. But how about some high-difficulty mission type with much science gain? I was thinking of a CoastGuard-Rescue variation, where you don't just need to take the crew home from the crashsite, but the wreck too. The recovered craft can be studied for science, and than sold for scrap. Probably an underwater variation could work too.

(note: impressions are from a normal difficulty career with entry purchases on)

9 minutes ago, MegaGamer328 said:

I can't seem to find it on CKAN so I tried GitHub and KerbalStuff and I have a problem with those websites when I try to download anything from them it freezes the page. I'm searching for GAP, Giving Aircraft a Purpose, and Contract. Could just be me.  

GAP should be on CKAN I tested it last night. You can find it under GAP, or the full name, or author name inigma.  Make sure you have the latest version of CKAN.

The GitHub download works, as well as the kerbalstuff download. Just tested. Please confirm.

Edited by inigma

7 minutes ago, MegaGamer328 said:

I can't seem to find it on CKAN so I tried GitHub and KerbalStuff and I have a problem with those websites when I try to download anything from them it freezes the page. I'm searching for GAP, Giving Aircraft a Purpose, and Contract. Could just be me.  

It shows properly on CKAN for me. showed up when searched for "GAP" and/or "inigma" as author name.
Full name on CKAN is "Contract PAck: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP).

Do you have KSP 1.0.5 or lower ? Try to use Filter on CKAN to show all mods instead of compatible only.

43 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

Nice idea, most of it is already there.

Good to see the spreadsheet - the numbers are really... realistic. Everything looks in order if I compare it to stock rewards, taken that opposed to space exploration, GAP missions are low-investment, low-risk jobs. Since the crafts used are reusable, the mod provides a steady income of funds. Not comparable to a space program, but enough to keep itself running while slowly geting the cash for the few important upgrades. With minimal spacing on the side, money isn't a problem.

Rep reawrds felt all right too, astronaut experience... it might be really useful for astronauts, but they will get it anyways. I can't think of much use for those levels on Kerbin. 'Hold prograde and smile at the tourists.' is totally enough. :)

Your recent idea would cover the recuits the players might need.

That leaves only science, and that is currently painful. Theoretically you don't need much for GAP, but those nodes are sooo.. full of handy, fun, nice looking or otherwise appealing parts. And the sci rewards in the mod-contracts are a bit rare and low in the early career... and negligible in the middle game. This makes me feel forced back to space.

I wouldn't suggest touching the present payouts - as said, they look realistic. But how about some high-difficulty mission type with much science gain? I was thinking of a CoastGuard-Rescue variation, where you don't just need to take the crew home from the crashsite, but the wreck too. The recovered craft can be studied for science, and than sold for scrap. Probably an underwater variation could work too.

(note: impressions are from a normal difficulty career with entry purchases on)

Very nice ideas. Thanks for also looking through the balance sheet. I really needed that feedback!  I agree more science missions might be in order. I have a number planned for GAP 2.0: GAP Expanded but I really like the idea of the science return for object retrieval. That is something I planned for 3.0 but I can move it up to include one for 2.0.

Edit: done! added two science retrievals (one KSP, one CoastGuard) to 2.0 list.

Edited by inigma

44 minutes ago, TruthQuark said:

Works fine as far as I tested.

Glad to hear it! Will make a note in the OP.

Ok, for those of you watching GAP's development... I have mind mapped out the initial GAP 2.0 draft. Feel free to check it out:

https://bubbl.us/?h=934b/5fc8d0/37aoS1/A8mNuU&r=2087949922

Edited by inigma

23 hours ago, kcs123 said:

It shows properly on CKAN for me. showed up when searched for "GAP" and/or "inigma" as author name.
Full name on CKAN is "Contract PAck: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP).

Do you have KSP 1.0.5 or lower ? Try to use Filter on CKAN to show all mods instead of compatible only.

Ok something in CKAN was broken so I reinstalled and stuff.

2 hours ago, inigma said:

Ok, for those of you watching GAP's development... I have mind mapped out the initial GAP 2.0 draft. Feel free to check it out:

https://bubbl.us/?h=934b/5fc8d0/37aoS1/A8mNuU&r=2087949922

No flash, so can't see that. I'll assume it's fabulous and will require tons of Contract Configurator enhancements. :D

Edited by nightingale

26 minutes ago, nightingale said:

No flash, so can't see that. I'll assume it's fabulous and will require tons of Contract Configurator enhancements. :D

@nightingale Lol. Hopefully way way less than 1.0. :) as most of the code is tested in GAP 1.0. The plan is viewable in plain text in the devnotes. Nothing terribly cutting edge except skydiving and wingsuits.

Edited by inigma

Encountered a MIA bug with rescue mission.  I completed previously couple of tourist shore/fly contracts without issues, after recovering craft, tourists are no longer listed in roster.

However, I got this recue mission, saving pilot from water. I have landed closely, but since I forgot ladders for crew cabin, I moved piled to crew cabin to left empty space in cockpit. So, saved pilot entered main cockpit instead. I have properly landed craft near SPH, contract properly completed.

But after that, I gone to astronaut center and that pilot is listed between KIA crew, while he is actualy saved.

Differencew is from previous missions that this kerbal was pilot, while others were tourists. I will try to repeat and provide some screenshots.

On 04/01/2016 at 9:23 PM, inigma said:

Great! Let me know what you find out in your testing. I might just try SXT myself tonight when I get a chance.

Most of the SXT should be alright, I think. Though it may be worth adding some of the props where specific KAX props are listed, e.g. for things like FirstFlight

Here's a break-down of the SXT props (Still need to add the other 1 or 2 turbo-props I planned to bridge between the Hornet and Bear). There's also a little electric powered one based off the Airbus E-FAN. The thrust values are for FAR, I think I added a multiplier for Stock aero since it's still a bit soupy.

0JEVJG8.png

Part names:

Continental: SXTTinyprop
Guthrie: SXTPWPT6
Jumo: SXTKO211Dprop
Merlin: SXTMerlin66prop
Monsoon: SXTKO211prop
Wolf: SXTJ213
Hornet: SXTPWR2800
Bear: SXTNK12M

If you just want to try those, there's a pack with them in.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/subpacks/Newer/SXTPropsandPlanes.zip

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

Encountered a MIA bug with rescue mission.  I completed previously couple of tourist shore/fly contracts without issues, after recovering craft, tourists are no longer listed in roster.

However, I got this recue mission, saving pilot from water. I have landed closely, but since I forgot ladders for crew cabin, I moved piled to crew cabin to left empty space in cockpit. So, saved pilot entered main cockpit instead. I have properly landed craft near SPH, contract properly completed.

But after that, I gone to astronaut center and that pilot is listed between KIA crew, while he is actualy saved.

Differencew is from previous missions that this kerbal was pilot, while others were tourists. I will try to repeat and provide some screenshots.

Already reported. This is fixed in the next CC release. 1.9.3.

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

This should be fixed in the next Contact Configurator release. 

1 hour ago, Lack said:

Most of the SXT should be alright, I think. Though it may be worth adding some of the props where specific KAX props are listed, e.g. for things like FirstFlight

Here's a break-down of the SXT props (Still need to add the other 1 or 2 turbo-props I planned to bridge between the Hornet and Bear). There's also a little electric powered one based off the Airbus E-FAN. The thrust values are for FAR, I think I added a multiplier for Stock aero since it's still a bit soupy.

0JEVJG8.png

Part names:

Continental: SXTTinyprop
Guthrie: SXTPWPT6
Jumo: SXTKO211Dprop
Merlin: SXTMerlin66prop
Monsoon: SXTKO211prop
Wolf: SXTJ213
Hornet: SXTPWR2800
Bear: SXTNK12M

If you just want to try those, there's a pack with them in.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/subpacks/Newer/SXTPropsandPlanes.zip

I'll add these in for FirstFlight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.