Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

Star system ideas:

heligen: large yellow star nearing end of main sequence.

planets closest to farthest, orbiting heligen

Jolanus: hot Jupiter. varied moonlets.

Apro: severely inclined orbit, large captured protoplanet flung out of neighboring star systems. Lava seas. No atmosphere.

Chiken: a planet of flora and fauna, with an intelligent spacefaring species thati am still naming. moons:2

Vol: quite large moon with a thin but noticeable atmosphere. Volcanic activity, and has a similar look to Io.

Jeminus: Chiken's second moon, boring old rocky cratered place. Not that big, being a bit larger than minmus if Chiken was the size of Kerbin.

Kopesis: A planet a bit smaller than Chiken. It has an atmosphere of mainly Co2, and has frozen poles of water ice, and clear areas where oceans once were. There are also fossils of fish, showing that life once existed on this desolate world. moon: 1

Alo: a small captured asteroid, only 51 miles across. Try landing on this thing.

ventilo: ice giant, at the verge of escape velocity due to multiple gravity slingshots during close encounters with Aslein. It's blue, has very thin rings, and has varied moonlets, none notable.

kolos: large ringed reddish gas giant, has incredibly distinct rings. Varied moons, one notable:

Cifet: much like Fonso, in Nova's post.

aslein: brown dwarf with extreme gravity, it has hundreds of minor moons, four major, and one more notable. Notable / major moons:5

Frezope: Europa- like moon, with subsurface ocean

rocklo: large moon a bit larger than Ganymede, it has volcanism, a frozen lakes, and a thick atmosphere (Titan analog)

Jun: smallish ice giant, smaller than Neptune, with blue rings that are only viable while in the asleinian system. Major moon:1

lathos: based off laythe, it is a laythe copy off, just with vare large poles and mountains. Like future laythe, has volcanismm. Oddly has magnetic field. Moon of moon of moon of moon:1

Tilly: now I'm really copying off stuff now.

tluna: small mercury sized planet in an eras like orbit. Oddly has rings that I accumulated in the ceupler belt of heligen.

Systemm of stars: I will be adding more planets to the star system. Right now the only star Thant has planets are heligen and Kerbol

central star: Corebol, an absolutely huge blue giant. What's more scary, it's going to turn into a red supergiant someday. Freaky

first closest star: Kerbol. Self explanatory.

second closest:lihtbol is a collapsing star. Going to become a white dwarf in hours.

Titan: a red dwarf planned to have three planet circling it. Third closest star.

Hecate: red giant with 6.1 planets.

Heligen: you know already.

Kylos: the most recently discovered star, mainly because Kerbal just recently sent up the kerpler space telescope and noticed a star with a lot of black dots covering it. Turns out, they were planets, aso kerbals turned their attention to warp drives. Meanwhile the Chikenians were already building interstellar motherships powered by antimatter.

this is because of the discovery of planets in the habitable zone ofkylos, a yellow star.

Bluto:

A small lump of ice going around the sun past GP2's orbit. It's named after Blutonium-238, because one scientist thought that somehow our RTG's came from Bluto. Some crazy whackjob he was too, designing very large rockets that even made Wernher gasp, also a cousin twice-removed of Tilming Kerman. Bluto is one of the new gods in Kerbal mythology, being the god of infinite electric charge.

Hairon:

Bluto's largest moon, Hairon's name was an accident, we think. We also think Hairon is an accident, because it's red as Duna, and there's enough red planets. Named after Kerbin's largest hair saloon company for reasons unknown (Kranz possibly mixed up some papers while getting his hairdo...)

Humabos:

Bluto's smallest moon. Humabos was named after Kranz's cousin Tilming's father, who calls himself 'Anthropology-Kerbal." Who knows what Anthropology is, anyways? And whose idea was it to name it after HIM?

I had gotten this idea when I found out Plutonium was named after Pluto, and said "Why not?" props if you know who Tilming Kerman is...

I'd rather them have a Kerbol system creator (you can export solar system files to share with YBers and friends).

Then you could make what you want (I'd make Gliese 581 as it was before we started doubting the planets existence).

But in the spirit of your Idea, I just want a Uranus analogue... beautiful blue-ish green (much more beautiful than Jool's), and at least 5 moons too (Analogues of it's moons). It's odd rotation and near-transparent ring would make it a sight to behold. And I want to build a base around it as it's my favorite planet on our Solar System.

Distances should keep being respectable analogues of OUR solar system, so it would be pretty far to get to... better have that Ketane mod installed and mine one of it's moons foe re-fuelling purpose. Those solar panels will most likely not give very much power, so a bigger stock Blutonium generator might be an asset (if not we can always mod one.

I still think they should make a program that allow us to use the in-game engine to make what we want, but Thanks for the chance to voice our favorite/wanted planet =)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of making the Kerbol system a binary one. That way we could have another solar system "relatively" close but without having to have warp drives and other fanciful tech in the stock game (Although I love Interstellar, it doesn't match Squad's vision for the base game)

• 1 month later...
Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2014 to y'all. Now that version 0.25 has been released, we're able to travel to another star system. After a lot of trouble I managed to reach Proxa, a red dwarf star at 0.2 lightyears from the Sun (Kerbol) and decided to visit Sehera, a hot planet orbiting close to its parent star (0,9 to 1,3 million km). Gravity is 8,22 m/s and atmosphere thickness varies between 1,1 bar at the highest mountains and 3,8 on the low and intensely hot flatlands. Not as difficult to ascend from as from Eve, but due to the heat (I measured 319°C at 440 meter) engines overheat quickly.

Also love the 'hot air animation' that has been implemented:

http://i43.tinypic.com/11aa2bq.png

Love how nothing you said has been implemented

I would see a random generated plantes/system like the minecraft world. I like explore, but with the current state of KSP it isn't that fun.
That isn't going to happen. The developers said so themselves in an interview last year. They wanted everyone's experience to be comparable to the experiences of others.

Roobie- GP2, purple and red clouds, Saturn analog, 4000 km radius, 3 major moons, 1 Dres-esque moon(size and gravity) and a gilly-esque moon, asteroids spawn occasionally

Dimund- GP3, light orange and hints of yellow, 1400 km radius, Neptune/Uranus analog, 1 major moon, 1 Minmus-esque moon, 2 gilly-esque moons, and an asteroid spawner

Chraon- ice dwarf, brown-ish with dark blue, Dres-sized, Pluto analog, 1 moon of mass similar to Minmus,

Kyper Belt- asteroid belt beyond Chraon with a more ice-like texture, larger 'roids are less common, more asteroids total than in NKOs, basically like the Kuiper Belt

Well that's my two cents...

That isn't going to happen. The developers said so themselves in an interview last year. They wanted everyone's experience to be comparable to the experiences of others.

Have you ever played Minecraft? If you use the exact same seed number as your friend you can generate the exact same world as your friend has. With this logic if somebody want to compare his experience with others, then he use the default seed number. But if you want to generate other world's then you are able to do. Random planets with random surfaces and random placed biomes. I think they should move in this direction. It adds more variation and adventure aspects into the game.

Edited by DancZer

How about adding following bodies:

-a rock half the size of Dres orbiting between Dres and Jool

-several comets, or procedural generation of comets

-an Io-like ''pizza'' moon for Jool

-small asteroids orbiting near Moho

And several star systems:

-a red dwarf that is orbited by one moho-like planet

-a giant orbited by several gas planets and lots of moons, maybe even an Avatar-like binary system with a habitable moon

-a black hole orbited by various planets like in Interstellar

Gas Planet Two should be called Geepeetoo (sound out the syllables ;) ).

I like the idea of randomly generated systems, but with some limitations:

-The current System you start in stays the same and cannot be changed.

-All games use the same seed. That way, even though all the other star systems are random, everyone has the same systems, since they all have the same seed.

To do this we need:

-a less memory heavy way of handling planets

-a way to randomly create planets and stars (within the bounds of reason)

-a way to dynamically generate a biome and resource map for each planet and moon

- a random name generator for planets

Hmm, let's see.....

1) Chiasma, a Miranda-like moon orbiting one of the gas giants, with Mun-level gravity and a giant, really deep canyon feature that you can explore.

2) Comets! with very low surface gravity, highly irregular shapes, huge, highly eccentric and inclined orbits, and gas jets/comas when they're in close. These could be discovered by bringing ships/probes/telescopes within a certain distance of their locations.

3) Azool, a deep blue semi-gas giant with an oxygen-containing atmosphere and a solid surface way down inside.

4) Infra, an airless body orbiting inside of Moho, with even higher surface gravity than Tylo and a perfectly flat, dull red-glowing metallic suface.

5) Oh yes, and how about Dino, an irregular, Phobos-sized moon orbiting just above the atmosphere of Duna?

Edited by herbal space program

I think that Squad should do the following in an awesome expansion pack, once the game is actually released for real:

1. Give the player hints which point them toward activating a series of monoliths spread across several worlds.

2. Once the monoliths have been activated, a wormhole/stargate will be activated.

3. Once a craft is flown into the wormhole/stargate, it will be transported instantly to another solar system.

An entirely new solar system would be perfect for an expansion pack to be released long down the road, IMHO.

I think that Squad should do the following in an awesome expansion pack, once the game is actually released for real:

1. Give the player hints which point them toward activating a series of monoliths spread across several worlds.

2. Once the monoliths have been activated, a wormhole/stargate will be activated.

3. Once a craft is flown into the wormhole/stargate, it will be transported instantly to another solar system.

An entirely new solar system would be perfect for an expansion pack to be released long down the road, IMHO.

Cant tell if trolling or...

Let's make a planet called Dres! It can be a space potato that every one loves to visit!

For those of you that have been to Dres, i am only saying this so that people realise the importance of Dres. Imagine the horror if Dres wasn't there! All that empty space between Duna and Jool.

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR DRES!!!!

Well in real life it's not that hard to navigate the asteroid belt. It's not really an Empire Strikes Back "rocks everywhere, dodge fast!" belt, it's more like "oh there's a rock 300 000km to the left of us, and another one over there a mere 3 million kilometers away" belt (the numbers are probably off but you get the idea). Basically it's lots of emptiness with the occasional rock. In gameplay terms that means that sometime you might get an encounter, by accident, once every couple dozen flights beyond the belt.

There is also very fine sand asteroids that are more dangerous (tiny ones go through you, you go through the big ones).

Edited by LABHOUSE
I hate auto correct

I'm pretty sure the there will be other solar systems with other planets in KSP's future. Because as we advance in mod technology and capability. Our little home solar system will start to become quite a mundane place. Where else can we find the joy of "first discovery" than in an entirely new solar system. Perhaps even one with native aborigenie life which we would take upon ourselves to safeguard. What if these aborigenie cave drawings showed a solar system which was our own? That would be quite a mysterious coincidence. Like following a breadcrumb trail which leads you to new discoveries.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=3365epM5u&i=11591464

My name suggestion would be "Serenity". It would be a desert moon (in orbit around a large gas giant) but with small oasis area's as water would be scarce. Part of your "updated mission profile?" would be to go after ice-teroids to bring back into orbit then to break up and allow to fall into the atmosphere.. thereby increasing the moisture level of the planet terraforming it into a much less environmentally hostile place for your friends.

-Sasami (^___^)/

Edited by Sasami_TN

• 1 month later...

I think that KSP planets and moons need Volcanism (Eeloo has jets of lce, Laythe has volcanoes, Kerbin has volcanoes dotted all around the planet, and Minmus has cryovolcanism (similar to that of Eeloo's), needs more volcanoes everywhere, even on Eve). Needs a planet that has thick cloud cover in which Kerbal scientists don't know if the planet even has a surface (and it has a surface with volcanoes all over the planet (max distance from each volcano would be about 5km)) it would be absolutely amazing to see such a creation in KSp (Atmo pressure needs to be higher than Eve's).

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.