The MID-Q Challenge. Munar impact done quick

And I even tried adding another ring of booster around it, but my computer did like that.  :D

With close to 600 parts the game is running at 1/8 normal speed.  But that about dubbels as the first stage drops out of draw distance.

OK, so I had a shot at it. I didn't want to start building some massive extra fast craft to get on top of the leaderboard, I recon it would be too time consuming. Instead I have focused on what Jeb would have needed for the job:

1. Something cheap (maybe made of parts already lying about)

2. Fast (needs to impact Mun in under 30 mins)

3. Reasonable accurate science return (hypothetical)

So I built an impactor with 4 data return antenna (apparently hitting the Mun at +6000m/s makes it difficult to send much data back); added some boosters, and ended up with this:

ah1LReU.jpg

Total cost was 9970 kerbucks. Time was a little longer than intended at 32 minutes 29 seconds.

Was good fun. Thanks for the challenge. :)

Edited by killakrust
added buleprints

So I made a huge rocket, 3242 t and I got WORSE result! In paper it looked good, deltav 17653 m/s but it took so much time to accelerate that my smaller rocket (700 t) did it faster (about 19 min). So automatically bigger rocket is not better. So I continued planning. Now I have 1252 t rocket (deltav is 13997 m/s) that takes 16 min 53 s to hit the Mun. I have to little throttle down in atmosphere so the rocket doesn't explode.

Pictures later, planning tomorrow more.

Two plans:

A. Long acceleration, top speed achieved later, more deltav.

B. Shorter acceleration, top speed achieved earlier, less deltav.

I am trying plan B, I don't know if it is a right way. I still have quite small (1253 t) rocket and I can make it 16 min. It is very hard to make better time.

19 hours ago, totalitor said:

A. Long acceleration, top speed achieved later, more deltav.

B. Shorter acceleration, top speed achieved earlier, less deltav.

Approximate it on the back of the envelope with this simplification: assume option A and option B have infinite acceleration, but option A only fires at the end of its burn. Which one gets there first?

For example, let's say that option A is an Ant-based stage that takes 5 minutes to burn and produces 2.5 km/s versus option B is a sepratron-based stage that takes 5 seconds to burn and produces 1.5 km/s (numbers are approximate). For five minutes, option B is going 1.5 km/s faster. Afterwards, option A is going 1 km/s faster, but is 450 km behind. According to the simplification, option A catches up to option B if there's at least 7.5 minutes to go after it burns out.

Both simplifications favour B, so if A still wins under that calculation, you're certain that A is better. If A loses, it might still be better, but you need to do a more complete calculation.

Oh, and I assume both options have roughly the same mass. Otherwise, you need to take account of the effect on lower stages too.

[Edit: oh right, this ignores gravity too. That generally favors B as well, as per the Oberth effect.]

Edited by numerobis

1 hour ago, Atlanticrash said:

My entry to MID-Q, with a time of 20:44!  This was my first speedrun (and second attempt), so I'm pretty happy with how this turned out!  :)

Good time. Looked like your probe core was still attached to the engine at the end though? :huh:

4 hours ago, killakrust said:

Looked like your probe core was still attached to the engine at the end though? :huh:

Sorry, didn't see that in the rules.  Here is my new and improved submission, complete with an unattached probe!  My time is now not only legal now, but much lower at 18:48 :)

Edited by Atlanticrash

My time: 16 min 05 s. Rocket mass 1253 t and it has deltav 15936 m/s. I have been working with upper stages but I can't get more speed of this. Maybe I need to add more boosters to improve. But I like "small" rockets...

I'm using Mammoth with large tanks, then Mainsail - Vector - LVT45 - 487S. Top speed 14325 m/s.

Edited by totalitor

If somebody wants to make a badge it could say something like "I passed (through?) MID-Q!" And it could show the Mun with a probe "crashing" into it. Any better ideas? 

I can't be bothered to make a badge, never even used a photo editing software before ;.;

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

12 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

If somebody wants to make a badge it could say something like "I passed (through?) MID-Q!" And it could show the Mun with a probe "crashing" into it. Any better ideas? 

I can't be bothered to make a badge, never even used a photo editing software before ;.;

This would be pretty cool!  I don't have much experience or taste with photo editing software, but here's my take on it.

AeZT1v1JCjhtFDPDvFe69ucLa_u6kSCowl__lsYg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.