WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

Marvin, that is very true, the Bad Company was indeed good, its only major problem was the roll rate.

Hornet easily stalled itself when performing evasion maneuvers, and because it's big it shouldn't be hard to hit, but the bad company only lacked the roll rate to be able to aim and engage when that happened.

It's a good design, maybe changing control surfaces deflections can already fix that, or minor changes.

Just wow, totally unexpected

I could have used a bit more roll and pitch authority but the major drawback of the Bad Company is the rear end ... It goes kaboom too easily so we all should remember that the stock tail connectors are very susceptible to 'splodin with only a few shots

I already have an idea to fix that issue :wink:

Now it's on to the next Tier 2 battle ... @Noir - Good luck in the coming fight

Edited by DoctorDavinci

At this point I am not sure if adding resistance is that much better, the black dragon is fully armor plated and still cannot take more than two direct shots of a 20mm, but it can tank several .50cal shots.

We are thinking about ways to improve how damage is handled, there are limits on how far this can go, but at least making wings not pop off from a few shots would be good.

The current "damage is heat" model always sounded like a placeholder, so I guess it's time to get something better.

They all are - I tried a structural fuselage piece inside a disposable skin piece ( actually my current aggressor craft still use that I think ) and they still get the entire tail blown off regularily. If you want a real fix, you need redundancy - the pusher craft I've linked vids of wins fights with one boom & half the tail missing. Sometimes.

Now that's something to talk about; given we can't rely on craft just getting more and more holes, is it better to minimalise with a tailless craft, or add disposable elements in the hope they absorb some damage? obviously the ideal is not to get hit in the first place but that is a little optimistic.

My mistake is that I tried to make the Bad Company stable while firing and now I realize that by doing this I hindered her potential ... That coupled with the gun range being set too low and using 2 each of 20mm and 13mm :rolleyes: (I should have used just the 23mm as I had on the original Bad Company)

I will be remembering this for next time ... Bad Company Mk2 will do much better in the next BAD T

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, tetryds said:

When the next tournament starts, which will be on 1.1, I don't plan to change threads but some rules and mods may change.

Just check for when the title says that the submissions are open if you will.

Thanks! Looking forward to it :)

Interesting fights! I'm not looking forward to facing the Skyrebal in round 2.

Accuracy vs. agility was a constant concern for me. I very nearly went with 2x30mm for the Kite, since I found a setup (more by accident than design) that made it really good at deflection shooting with those guns, but the added weight of the guns and ammo and the reduced control deflection needed to get that level of accuracy put the plane at a slight disadvantage versus the more lightly armed version.

Wow...Just wow...:blink:

@DoctorDavinciYour Bad Company put up a very good fight, right up until the end. It was a serious nail biter when watching my plane stall and spin out. 

Anyways, best of luck to you in the 2nd tier! :)

P.S, could I borrow your Bad Company craft file for some more "testing" of future designs? *Wink wink, nudge nudge*

1 hour ago, alp3r said:

Neither the BDArmory tab is located on the left side nor the b9 pwings and the procedural parts work. Is it only me or does anybody else have the same issues as me?

If you've updated your game to 1.1, you have to wait until the mods are compatible and redownload them. 

Yeah, looking forward to this one given I've actually seen one of these fight.

And as it's been a few days without a fight I just threw up some footage of me testing out an uprated version of my own dummy for people who just like watching planes shoot each other.

Last round 1 battle here!

Is that the right craft file for the Imp? that doesn't look like either from GG's final test video or the evil version I've seen.

Edit: it is not, I think that's Kamikaz C-G-5-13 from round 2?

-

I have been flying a single Jumo powered craft against a bunch of my stuff - you might actually want to consider limited use of jets for the next round because it really isn't any better than these OP props. Dual Jumos tend to end up supersonic which is a bit much, but singles are a good fight. If anyone feels like testing it vs their entries I can dump a craft file somewhere, but it's not really a great craft yet.

Edited by Van Disaster

46 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

Last round 1 battle here!

Is that the right craft file for the Imp? that doesn't look like either from GG's final test video or the evil version I've seen.

-

I have been flying a single Juno powered craft against a bunch of my stuff - you might actually want to consider limited use of jets for the next round because it really isn't any better than these OP props. Dual Jumos tend to end up supersonic which is a bit much, but singles are a good fight. If anyone feels like testing it vs their entries I can dump a craft file somewhere, but it's not really a great craft yet.

You are quite right, that's not my Imp.

Yeah, it looks like it's the wrong plane. It has already fought the other flying wing.

And btw: could you run all the battles at day time? It's kinda hard to sometimes see what is going on.

Edited by Veeltch

2 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

I can see how the mistake was made ... It should have been the GG C-132 in the last fight but a mistake was made and the CG-5-13 was flown instead which fought in the second battle against the ARSH Force One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hfauvAF3M

Blame it on tired eyes ... I'm sure @tetryds will see this and fix it

This brings up a good point though ... Perhaps we should implement some sort a naming convention so that this doesn't happen again

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by DoctorDavinci

40 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I can see how the mistake was made ... It should have been the GG C-132 in the last fight but a mistake was made and the CG-5-13 was flown instead which fought in the second battle against the ARSH Force One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hfauvAF3M

Blame it on tired eyes ... I'm sure @tetryds will see this and fix it

This brings up a good point though ... Perhaps we should implement some sort a naming convention so that this doesn't happen again

Any thoughts on this?

I agree. Maybe tetryds could give a greek letter to everyone who wants to participate and they would have to incorporate it somehow into their craft's name, or something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.