Recent meteor shower?

GoSlash27

One of my co-workers here in Eastern Iowa found a chunk of nickel/ iron meteorite (according to my layman's eye) on his property yesterday. It's a chunk of nickel/ iron about the size of 2 fists. Fell right through his backyard table...

The way I figure it, something that big should make a heckuva fireball, but there are no recent reports of any fireballs over the midwestern US, just the big one spotted over Maine and Scotland the other day.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone here's aware of a meteor spotted in the last couple days over the midwestern United States, or if this could somehow be a chunk of the Scotland meteor.

Thanks!

-Slashy

3 minutes ago, Dkmdlb said:

Let's see a picture!

Sorry, but it's not my meteorite. If I'd thought of it earlier, I would've taken a picture.

I'll see if I can get a pic to forward. I may not be able to...

Meteor showers occur when we pass through an area with more than the usual amount of debris in it. None the less, there are meteors pretty much constantly. We're well above town, and have fairly dark skies for being in Albuquerque, and we also have a hot tub we use a lot. I see a couple decent meteors pretty much every night, and I'm usually out there maybe 30 minutes. In fact, I usually play a game that I stay in there until I see a decent one (I don;t even keep track of the "slash" type, I'm only interested fairly bright ones.

Long story, short, it can happen any time. I frequently daydream watching the sky that I see one growing, and not leaving a trail... 

I've taken a pic. He found another chunk nearly as big as this one yesterday. 

20160304_113037_zpsqrkowyqd.jpg

I still come up blank for any reported meteors within the last 3 days, and he's certain it happened within that time frame.

meteorite2_zps0qbpd5ai.jpg

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Finding another chunk is very... weird however... statistically impossible, except i fell apart on earth literally.

Edited by Mikki
spell8D

15 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Well... I'm not going to recommend he split it on his own. If you folks were to find something like this, where would you take it to verify it?

Take it to a university and let some geology students examine it... for free.:wink:

That's what he's going to do. He'll take it up to Ames, IA. 

It could easily be a large iron slag. That would explain the lack of fireball. Although how it came to be stuck in the ground under his destroyed patio table would be a mystery in that case... :D

Edited by GoSlash27

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

I've taken a pic. He found another chunk nearly as big as this one yesterday. 

20160304_113037_zpsqrkowyqd.jpg

I still come up blank for any reported meteors within the last 3 days, and he's certain it happened within that time frame.

meteorite2_zps0qbpd5ai.jpg

Best,
-Slashy

I don't think that is a meteorite. Looks more like some kind of industrial slag to me.

43 minutes ago, Dkmdlb said:

And he said it fell through his table? It looks very much like a slag and not so much like a meteorite. 

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/slag.htm

I found one as a child, I took it to the natural history museum in London and a guy looked at it and said it was just slag.. It looked exactly like that. Meteorites tend to be smoother due to the heat during descent.

Edited by Majorjim

17 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I don't think that is a meteorite. Looks more like some kind of industrial slag to me.

I found one as a child, I took it to the natural history museum in London and a guy looked at it and said it was just slag.. It looked exactly like that. Meteorites tend to be smoother due to the heat during descent.

If it lands in marshy soil or water, it could look like this because of rapid cooling. :) I have seen a few of those in places like the Smithsonian... However, in this case, there is an unmistakable mark of industrial slag - a vertical fissure that is layered...

14 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

If it lands in marshy soil or water, it could look like this because of rapid cooling. :) I have seen a few of those in places like the Smithsonian... However, in this case, there is an unmistakable mark of industrial slag - a vertical fissure that is layered...

Yeah, I'm beginning to lean towards "slag" myself. A chunk of slag going through his table is unlikely, but not as unlikely as a chunk of meteorite that big without reports of a fireball :D

Thanks for all the help! I'll let you know what the results wind up being 

Best,
-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.