Laythe2

[1.1.3] Large Boat Parts Pack

Recommended Posts

not sure if its just me, but my ships are exploding upon load when i place them in the water, go back to space center to spawn a craft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jackeled said:

not sure if its just me, but my ships are exploding upon load when i place them in the water, go back to space center to spawn a craft.

my vid, watch it

it is to do with the ksp boyancy physics if i remember correctly

found the reply:

"I am well aware of that issue. I don't think I can fix that bug as it has to do with the buoyancy system in ksp and the parts being very buoyant. The solution to that is to park the ship on land where It won't load in the water or to park the helicopter/plane/other boat before you launch the ship."

this if from laythe in the comments section

Edited by ckirky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ckirky said:
5 hours ago, ckirky said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

do we know if the VLS work with the subs? that would be amazing for battles

 

I think you may have to upscale the crash tolerance and breaking force for the missiles if you are going to place them in water. Else they would be destroyed. The sub parts are very heavy. They have to be like that because the parts are very buoyant and if you only rely on the tank to sink everything then the sub can easily break apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Laythe2 said:

I think you may have to upscale the crash tolerance and breaking force for the missiles if you are going to place them in water. Else they would be destroyed. ....

Would you be interested in putting together a MM Patch that would change those values in missiles? You and I could put one together that would alter BD, Malfunc and whatever other BD Adon you can think of. It would take some time but if we can find a good batch of settings for one missile. We could then apply those settings to every other missile? And by using a MM patch we could leave the other mod folders alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bow and stern parts have a capsule mesh collider because the parts exceed the 255 polygon limit.

U9Zh64O.png

2 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Would you be interested in putting together a MM Patch that would change those values in missiles? You and I could put one together that would alter BD, Malfunc and whatever other BD Adon you can think of. It would take some time but if we can find a good batch of settings for one missile. We could then apply those settings to every other missile? And by using a MM patch we could leave the other mod folders alone.

Sounds like a good idea. NANA does something similar.

6 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Would you be interested in putting together a MM Patch that would change those values in missiles? You and I could put one together that would alter BD, Malfunc and whatever other BD Adon you can think of. It would take some time but if we can find a good batch of settings for one missile. We could then apply those settings to every other missile? And by using a MM patch we could leave the other mod folders alone.

Ill get to work then. Ill release it after I make fins for the sub that wont explode when they hit the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Laythe2 said:

...

Ill get to work then. Ill release it after I make fins for the sub that wont explode when they hit the water.

Awesome. I'm starting to mess with the settings now. We can compare notes and get you up and running when you get to that point. I have a feeling you're going to get it running before me but I'll do my best to help you out :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

@ ckirky

 

I have had this issue many times before. Here is the work around I use.

Load all craft that you plan to use and set aside the runway, then load the boat or ship.

I had this fail once but all other time it works fine. BD said also to park the ships on land then move to water after you load the planes. I guess this would work as well but may break rudder off due to tonage of ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, V8jester said:

Awesome. I'm starting to mess with the settings now. We can compare notes and get you up and running when you get to that point. I have a feeling you're going to get it running before me but I'll do my best to help you out :) 

You probably will get it up and running before me. I'm actually taking a break for now. (not a long one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlackHoleSun said:

Is anyone having issue with control tower not mounting right side up?

 

I'm aware of that issue. Just offset it for now. Ill fix it next update. I included a craft file in the latest release showing the right way to use the tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as for the VLS, i have added a thing in the CFG files for both the VLS tube and missile stating "Water collision = False" anyone know if this will work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ckirky said:

as for the VLS, i have added a thing in the CFG files for both the VLS tube and missile stating "Water collision = False" anyone know if this will work?

Probably not as "Water Collision" isn't how anything would be written in a cfg. It could be "waterCollision = false) but that seems too easy. I've been messing with it too and so far nothing yet. But I did manage to build a Typhoon with 16 quad quad VLS tubes. If you can get the sub in the water soft enough. You can launch missiles from under water just like RL :) I really want to get this water collision thing working too. As I really want to launch bigger missiles. Also IR Gantry's and RKE Kanadarm tubes and HullCam VDS work perfect for parascopes. They seem to be fine with water collision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't fit the "ship main hull (700t) in the tumblehome bowm anyone else having the same problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the sub parts, but I cannot get them to sink at all. Is there something I am missing? I have a bunch of the ballast tanks on the thing and I've even hyperedited it so they were completely full and it barely affects it at all. It just sits there on the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, V8jester said:

Probably not as "Water Collision" isn't how anything would be written in a cfg. It could be "waterCollision = false) but that seems too easy. I've been messing with it too and so far nothing yet. But I did manage to build a Typhoon with 16 quad quad VLS tubes. If you can get the sub in the water soft enough. You can launch missiles from under water just like RL :) I really want to get this water collision thing working too. As I really want to launch bigger missiles. Also IR Gantry's and RKE Kanadarm tubes and HullCam VDS work perfect for parascopes. They seem to be fine with water collision.

are the scuds from North kerbin Dynamics big enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downloaded this pack as the Maritime part pack didn't cut it, and the WW2 Warship parts were complicated and laggy. So far, a wonderful mod! It was really easy to build a good looking aircraft carrier and battleship, and it doesn't take 200 parts like the WW2 pack. The tweakscale compatibility is great, too.

I did, however, have a slight "problem":

My first ship was an 800 meter long aircraft carrier. Put it in the water with vessel mover and... it went about an inch in. But that's KSP, and I was more interested in the TWR Mechjeb was giving me. One supersonic aircraft carrier later, and I decided to just put the engines on the side, and only use two. No complaints so far, really. Next it was time for a combat test. First, I sent out a single bomber, laden with SnakeEyes and JDAMS. I think I took out one radar dish. Several of the bombs hit the deck, but didn't explode. A wing of bombers fared no better. Tomorrow, it was time for escalation.

Now a new day, I had plans. Big plans. I put a carrier in the plains 20Km behind the KSC (so that it wouldn't drift around and prevent a quicksave), and prepared a bomber. This bomber was to deliver two megatons of nukes straight up the carrier's poop deck. The bombing went flawlessly: a supersonic entry, followed by two distraction missiles and then the main ordinance. Bombs hit their target and destroyed... two guns and a SAM turret. No matter, we're taking this escalator all the way up! It was time for a battleship.

Obviously, a normal battleship wouldn't cut it. It would have to be nuclear, and would be the basis of all future naval battles in my save. So I did the only reasonable thing. I armed it with four Type 94 naval cannons, six Karl Gerat 041 mortars, 16 155mm Howitzers, four Genie Nuclear Missiles on a turret, and six front-mounted Nuclear Valentina Cannons. Satisfied, I added four double-sized engines pointing downwards, allowing the ship to take flight, and an assortment of maneuvering engines for forward thrust and turning. It was time.

The battleship flew beautifully, in no small part to the use of TCA, and I arrived at the grounded carrier shortly. I'll go ahead and make a long story short: the carrier was only defeated because the BDA module was destroyed, along with it's deck guns. It took 36 NUCLEAR SHELLS to the face, along with another 100 shells from THE LARGEST BATTLESHIP CANNON EVER MADE, 4 NUCLEAR MISSILES, and 60 shells from a mortar firing ONE TON PROJECTILES, and probably around 200 shells from the howitzers.

The only problem with the carrier itself? It's engines were a bit red, and I put the command deck in upside down and forgot to fix it.

 

 

The idea of having flying fleets of ships duking it out with nuclear cannons appeals to me GREATLY, but you may want to lower their heat tolerance. I'm going to try halving it, as even going 15 km/s through the atmosphere did little damage to the battleship's main structure (hyperedit boosting).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think that some parts may need some slight balancing (Although this was fun, so I'm not quite sure). With B9 Procedural wings and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, I put wings on a small ship I built and replaced the 3 normal engines on it (2 for forwards and 1 reverse, all thrust limited) with a single center-mounted submarine water jet on the rear. I was able to get that ship to orbit and safely back down to Kerbin without any damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Laythe weird request. I suck at building crafts and was wondering if you could possibly link us a site where we could just download all your naval crafts to use. Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tilted the Wolf said:

Downloaded this pack as the Maritime part pack didn't cut it, and the WW2 Warship parts were complicated and laggy. So far, a wonderful mod! It was really easy to build a good looking aircraft carrier and battleship, and it doesn't take 200 parts like the WW2 pack. The tweakscale compatibility is great, too.

I did, however, have a slight "problem":

My first ship was an 800 meter long aircraft carrier. Put it in the water with vessel mover and... it went about an inch in. But that's KSP, and I was more interested in the TWR Mechjeb was giving me. One supersonic aircraft carrier later, and I decided to just put the engines on the side, and only use two. No complaints so far, really. Next it was time for a combat test. First, I sent out a single bomber, laden with SnakeEyes and JDAMS. I think I took out one radar dish. Several of the bombs hit the deck, but didn't explode. A wing of bombers fared no better. Tomorrow, it was time for escalation.

Now a new day, I had plans. Big plans. I put a carrier in the plains 20Km behind the KSC (so that it wouldn't drift around and prevent a quicksave), and prepared a bomber. This bomber was to deliver two megatons of nukes straight up the carrier's poop deck. The bombing went flawlessly: a supersonic entry, followed by two distraction missiles and then the main ordinance. Bombs hit their target and destroyed... two guns and a SAM turret. No matter, we're taking this escalator all the way up! It was time for a battleship.

Obviously, a normal battleship wouldn't cut it. It would have to be nuclear, and would be the basis of all future naval battles in my save. So I did the only reasonable thing. I armed it with four Type 94 naval cannons, six Karl Gerat 041 mortars, 16 155mm Howitzers, four Genie Nuclear Missiles on a turret, and six front-mounted Nuclear Valentina Cannons. Satisfied, I added four double-sized engines pointing downwards, allowing the ship to take flight, and an assortment of maneuvering engines for forward thrust and turning. It was time.

The battleship flew beautifully, in no small part to the use of TCA, and I arrived at the grounded carrier shortly. I'll go ahead and make a long story short: the carrier was only defeated because the BDA module was destroyed, along with it's deck guns. It took 36 NUCLEAR SHELLS to the face, along with another 100 shells from THE LARGEST BATTLESHIP CANNON EVER MADE, 4 NUCLEAR MISSILES, and 60 shells from a mortar firing ONE TON PROJECTILES, and probably around 200 shells from the howitzers.

The only problem with the carrier itself? It's engines were a bit red, and I put the command deck in upside down and forgot to fix it.

 

 

The idea of having flying fleets of ships duking it out with nuclear cannons appeals to me GREATLY, but you may want to lower their heat tolerance. I'm going to try halving it, as even going 15 km/s through the atmosphere did little damage to the battleship's main structure (hyperedit boosting).

That is odd. I fires a full salvo of 16 inch guns at one of the hull pieces and it got destroyed. The nukes are kinda iffy. a nuke should kill off all the space center buildings but some don't. I'm kinda limited on what i can do with damage. You can mess with the configs if you want. I didn't nerf the carrier parts because no one shot from a gun is gonna destroy something as big as the carrier hull.

3 hours ago, mike9606 said:

I also think that some parts may need some slight balancing (Although this was fun, so I'm not quite sure). With B9 Procedural wings and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, I put wings on a small ship I built and replaced the 3 normal engines on it (2 for forwards and 1 reverse, all thrust limited) with a single center-mounted submarine water jet on the rear. I was able to get that ship to orbit and safely back down to Kerbin without any damage. 

Well I designed the engines to work with ships in the water. The submarine parts get very heavy and get so much resistance to them I had to up the thrust on the engines just to get the thing moving. I know these engines are the most overpowered things in the game right now and i don't plan on changing them since they do what I designed them for.

On 3/27/2016 at 0:33 PM, XOC2008 said:

Love the sub parts, but I cannot get them to sink at all. Is there something I am missing? I have a bunch of the ballast tanks on the thing and I've even hyperedited it so they were completely full and it barely affects it at all. It just sits there on the water.

Odd. check the resources and make sure they are filling up with water (you only really need 1 ballast tank under the center of mass). The actual hull parts have ballast in them. Those are to weigh the hulls down so the ballast tank doesn't get so heavy it easily falls off. Make sure the hulls have water in them (the water in the hulls can also act as a balancing tool also).

On 3/27/2016 at 11:57 AM, Fecb301 said:

I can't fit the "ship main hull (700t) in the tumblehome bowm anyone else having the same problem?

What is going on? are the nodes not attaching?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Laythe2 I noticed some of the nodes are inverted / rotated 180 out. I've been using the non Strick cheat. But I figured I'd let you know.

also as far as that IR issue I mentioned before..... I'm an idiot. I up scaled the docking washer which breaks the legacy IR parts. So ignore me, you're all good there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Laythe2 said:

Odd. check the resources and make sure they are filling up with water (you only really need 1 ballast tank under the center of mass). The actual hull parts have ballast in them. Those are to weigh the hulls down so the ballast tank doesn't get so heavy it easily falls off. Make sure the hulls have water in them (the water in the hulls can also act as a balancing tool also).

Resources are filling with water, and I know there is weight there because if I speed up filling them (like with Hyperedit), they spontaneously separate from the weight. I've tried one tank, I've tried 10 tanks, I've scaled them up to 400%, like 64000000 water or something, and still won't sink.

Where I'm at now is throwing a bunch of scaled up variable weights from LLL into the hull, and I added the resource generator to fill/empty the hull pieces themselves to their specific config files to see if that works. So far I've managed to get it to sink about 1/4 of the way into the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, V8jester said:

@Laythe2 I noticed some of the nodes are inverted / rotated 180 out. I've been using the non Strick cheat. But I figured I'd let you know.

also as far as that IR issue I mentioned before..... I'm an idiot. I up scaled the docking washer which breaks the legacy IR parts. So ignore me, you're all good there.

Ive known the nodes were messed up a long time ago. but i didn't do much about it. I figured once I rebuild my mod ill fix the issues. Next week I want to work on better models and see what I can do to improve textures now that I know a lot more about blender and coding. I went into this mod not knowing anything about ksp modding. Maybe some config editing and that is it.

Just now, XOC2008 said:

Resources are filling with water, and I know there is weight there because if I speed up filling them (like with Hyperedit), they spontaneously separate from the weight. I've tried one tank, I've tried 10 tanks, I've scaled them up to 400%, like 64000000 water or something, and still won't sink.

Where I'm at now is throwing a bunch of scaled up variable weights from LLL into the hull, and I added the resource generator to fill/empty the hull pieces themselves to their specific config files to see if that works. So far I've managed to get it to sink about 1/4 of the way into the water.

I think i see the problem. TweakScale messes with the buoyancy of the parts. If your sub has ANYTHING tweak scaled on it it wont sink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laythe2 said:

Ive known the nodes were messed up a long time ago. but i didn't do much about it. I figured once I rebuild my mod ill fix the issues. Next week I want to work on better models and see what I can do to improve textures now that I know a lot more about blender and coding. I went into this mod not knowing anything about ksp modding. Maybe some config editing and that is it.

Well it's really fantastic! I've been obsessed with building boats and subs the last couple of weeks :)

I finished a typhoon with the new sub parts and they look amazing! Do you have any plans for American sub parts? Just round tubes maybe a bump for the missile silos along its back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Laythe2 said:

I think i see the problem. TweakScale messes with the buoyancy of the parts. If your sub has ANYTHING tweak scaled on it it wont sink.

Well I will try throwing one of them under there without tweaking it in the slightest. (Those were the only things aside from the weights that got tweaked so maybe that will fix it.) Just gotta revert the configs back to normal so everything is as it should be for a proper test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Laythe2 said:

That is odd. I fires a full salvo of 16 inch guns at one of the hull pieces and it got destroyed. The nukes are kinda iffy. a nuke should kill off all the space center buildings but some don't. I'm kinda limited on what i can do with damage. You can mess with the configs if you want. I didn't nerf the carrier parts because no one shot from a gun is gonna destroy something as big as the carrier hull.

Well I designed the engines to work with ships in the water. The submarine parts get very heavy and get so much resistance to them I had to up the thrust on the engines just to get the thing moving. I know these engines are the most overpowered things in the game right now and i don't plan on changing them since they do what I designed them for.

Odd. check the resources and make sure they are filling up with water (you only really need 1 ballast tank under the center of mass). The actual hull parts have ballast in them. Those are to weigh the hulls down so the ballast tank doesn't get so heavy it easily falls off. Make sure the hulls have water in them (the water in the hulls can also act as a balancing tool also).

What is going on? are the nodes not attaching?

Working again, just re-install the mod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.