Getting Burned Out

20 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

5. Remember that feeling you had at the beginning of ksp, that wonder and pride at every little accomplishment and discovery? Yeah, that's not coming back. Dont bother trying. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the game, just means that you shouldn't expect a perfect experience from it.

Ofc this is a matter of opinion but what about playing with a new install? I spent hours messing with RO, just barely scratched the surface. My PC doesn't really like that and in RO it takes forever to get anything done (as it does in RL).

I just started playing with an install dedicated solely to aircraft. FAR, B9, Pwings, Adv. Fly by wire, etc. It's amazing how much you can do with 1 or 2 Junos if you put your mind to it. Haven't even tried to build an SSTO yet.

But yes. I have burned myself out a few times. Once I stopped playing for, like, 2 months and spent a ton of time in Orbiter.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

On 3/10/2016 at 0:50 PM, boxman said:

There is alot of things squad could do to make this game last longer just by giving us something to explore or tasks to do.

Right now all the bodies in the system are completely barren besides a few generic biomes that only has the purpose of gaining generic science in career mode. What they should do is add some depth to the system and give us a reason to go explore with rovers or build bases on planets. There is not even anything to learn about the history of the kerbal system as apparently. Meanwhile in real life it is all about exploration, the search for life and in general learning about the solar system. There is so much potential wasted because they refuse to add any depth to the planets/moons.

this.

But they know, or should know. And most likely are working on it. Unity 5 was a big stepping stone; i hope.

I'm in a bit of a KSP hiatus myself.  The real problem for me, though is crashing.  KSP used to be stable for me but at some point some mod or another has made the game very unstable.  Of course I could just back all the mods out and try and figure out which one is breaking things, but since 1.1 is coming soon-ish I didn't bother.  The end result of that waiting has been every time I do go back and start messing around and potentially getting back into the game it crashes at some inopportune time and I go do something else instead.

Once 1.1 is out and I have to start over anyway I'll probably get back into it again.

If you don`t want to play that`s fine, play something else or even don`t play a video game at all, go out and see the real world n stuff.

If you feel the urge to play again, 1.1 may be out and the mods may be stable on it at that point.

I would second what has been said earlier, Realism Overhaul, especially with RP-0 has made me feel like KSP is a new game and I have just as much desire to play as when I got the game 3 years ago.

On 03/10/2016 at 4:05 PM, Columbia said:

I get burned out on KSP very frequently, and forcing yourself to play isn't going to help either. There are many games out there, I suggest you find a secondary game to play or activity to do when you're not in the mood for KSP. :wink:

Could not agree more. Forcing yourself to play will just cause more lasting burn out. KSP will be around for a long time man, play another great new game. I played through Fallout 4, had a blast then a few weeks later got that KSP itch.

Variety is the spice of life!

How much KSP are you actually playing?  I find that most people can't consistently play for 5+ hours every single day for an extended period of time.  Like many other have said, go do something else for a while or give yourself a more difficult goal so you don't keep getting burnt out.

Pick up a hobby, start yourself with some science and do a ssto only game, learn a new language, play remotetech and have 100% coverage throughout the system, build something in RL.  

I started playing at .20, got burntout when .22 released, came back for .24 only to leave in .25, and came back in 1.0.5. From this, I've learned:

1. You don't forget how to play if you take a break.

2. You will, one day, not feel burnt out. KSP will be fun again.

3. You will use old parts more often than newer parts when you come back simply because they are familiar.

4.You will probably start small coming back even though it's unnecessary. When I came back in 1.0.5, I made escuses to put a satelite into polar orbit and land a base on the mun and realized it was to put of my interplanetary mission.

5. Failing a long mission is the number one cause of burnout.

6. Don't triple check your vehicle, because everything going wrong is more fun than nothing going wrong.

7. 6 contradicts 5. Deal.

Edited by bncrock

On 3/11/2016 at 6:38 PM, KerBlammo said:

I'm in a bit of a KSP hiatus myself.  The real problem for me, though is crashing.  KSP used to be stable for me but at some point some mod or another has made the game very unstable.  Of course I could just back all the mods out and try and figure out which one is breaking things, but since 1.1 is coming soon-ish I didn't bother.  The end result of that waiting has been every time I do go back and start messing around and potentially getting back into the game it crashes at some inopportune time and I go do something else instead.

Once 1.1 is out and I have to start over anyway I'll probably get back into it again.

I suspect it won't be a dodgy mod, more likely you are hitting the RAM limit. You can use the un-official 64bit mod for Windows or wait until 1.1. Nearly all stability issues on KSP revolve around hitting more than 3.2GB of RAM.

19 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

I suspect it won't be a dodgy mod, more likely you are hitting the RAM limit. You can use the un-official 64bit mod for Windows or wait until 1.1. Nearly all stability issues on KSP revolve around hitting more than 3.2GB of RAM.

Possibly.  Early on I added so many mods that KSP would crash during load from running out of memory, but that was several versions ago.  Now it crashes after typically 45+ minutes of use so if it is an out of memory error its because something is leaking.  Maybe something that should be implementing IDisposable isn't...

I faced a similar thing a while ago. I've had it sense .20 (A little under 3 years ago) and I got burned out as well by around .24, and tried back again but also failed in early .25

My solution? Sandbox mode! Personally I find career to be a great beginner experience. It slowly shows them parts, and gives them tasks to do when they otherwise didn't know what to do. But I'm not a beginner and haven't been for years, and I can set my own goals, I can make my own restrictions, and I may be biased because I started pre even science mode, but I feel once you are good enough that sandbox can be more than just a sandbox,it's the best and most fun thing to do, and you won't get burned out.

Your mileage may vary :P

6 hours ago, nosirrbro said:

I faced a similar thing a while ago. I've had it sense .20 (A little under 3 years ago) and I got burned out as well by around .24, and tried back again but also failed in early .25

My solution? Sandbox mode! Personally I find career to be a great beginner experience. It slowly shows them parts, and gives them tasks to do when they otherwise didn't know what to do. But I'm not a beginner and haven't been for years, and I can set my own goals, I can make my own restrictions, and I may be biased because I started pre even science mode, but I feel once you are good enough that sandbox can be more than just a sandbox,it's the best and most fun thing to do, and you won't get burned out.

Your mileage may vary :P

I agree that sandbox can be the most fun.  If I start a career then I give myself a couple thousand science to get through the grind fest, then give myself ten million or so.  I like the whole unlocking the tech tree after the 160/300 mark and having contracts to challenge myself, but if I want to give myself a different challenge while I'm working on a contract, I don't want something as silly as funds to get in the way

12 minutes ago, mrclucks said:

I agree that sandbox can be the most fun.  If I start a career then I give myself a couple thousand science to get through the grind fest, then give myself ten million or so.  I like the whole unlocking the tech tree after the 160/300 mark and having contracts to challenge myself, but if I want to give myself a different challenge while I'm working on a contract, I don't want something as silly as funds to get in the way

Even then, in sandbox I still contstrain with funds, and often very intensly.

been getting burned out as well, I play Halo Online as my secondary game. Waiting (patiently) for 1.1 as I like to make VERY big SSTOs and at 100 plus parts it is laggy the entire mission, and forget about docking to a space station.

On 10.3.2016 at 3:35 PM, PotentiallyHabitable578 said:

Is there anyone out there who feels the same way?

Hi,

I know that feeling too well. At a certain point I had done everything I wanted. It was tiring to build huge ships to get my Kerbals somewhere. I only sent probes to the outer planets, because they're smaller and easier to build, because they don't need a return trip. I came to the point where I felt the obligation to bring them back and care for them. And now I'm only fireing KSP up, to kill time, maybe fly to Minmus. But even going to Duna is tiring and the trip is long, even with timewarp at max. My last Jool mission took over a week and I disliked that. I want to finish what I've started and so I'm stuck with small contracts, because I can't go to Jool and back on the same day. I only have an hour to spare per day, maybe two, but that's it. And manage missions among my regular life was just too much. Even my latest attempt to drive to the North Pole was a big challenge, although it was pretty relaxing, because most of the time I had to hold down one key and watch the scenery.

Maybe with 1.1 I'll do another big mission again. But I wont promise.

Update: Liking this post is a nice gesture, but feels bit wrong :)

Edited by Mat2ch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.