Make the island buildings destructible

So the last time I checked the island buildings are not destructable. Since the rest of the space center is destructible they should make the island buildings destructible too. What do you guys think?

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Yes! Would make a great test target for long range missiles.

However the real question is...

Once we destroyed/damaged them...how would we repair them?

Add a little button to focus on the Island from the KSC screen?

I think the more important question is: how does the ability to destroy/damage/repair the island airstrip facilities contribute to gameplay?

If the airstrip is used as an official launch site for aircraft, then it might make sense to maintain it, but otherwise, career-mode players are just going to avoid damaging it so that they don't waste their limited funds on repairing something with limited utility anyway.

3 minutes ago, sumghai said:

I think the more important question is: how does the ability to destroy/damage/repair the island airstrip facilities contribute to gameplay?

If the airstrip is used as an official launch site for aircraft, then it might make sense to maintain it, but otherwise, career-mode players are just going to avoid damaging it so that they don't waste their limited funds on repairing something with limited utility anyway.

We should definitely be able to launch from that airstrip if we want.

Even more so, the game is in desperate need of a submersible/boat launching area since the water update.

I think the island would be the perfect place to focus on the emerging nautical aspect of KSP, maybe even go so far as to make the airstrip on the island dedicated to float planes. (The kind that also have wheels obviously.)

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Even more so, the game is in desperate need of a submersible/boat launching area since the water update.

I think the island would be the perfect place to focus on the emerging nautical aspect of KSP, maybe even go so far as to make the airstrip on the island dedicated to float planes. (The kind that also have wheels obviously.)

And we could make a dirt ramp to the water!

18 minutes ago, sumghai said:

If it isn't useful you might as well blow it up - by definition it isn't doing anything useful.

13 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

That sounds like an plan for some future gameplay: Setting up alternate launch sites around Kerbin and beyond. Deliver enough supplies to the island and it becomes a useable construction and launch site. Deliver construction equipment and workers to a site on any body and create a launch site there, replacing it with a destructable building once construction is complete.

Here's an idea:

If you plant a flag on the island base you "claim" it and can now select and launch from it the same way you do in Kerbalside. Same with the old space center. You can destroy the buildings from day 1, but repairing them means you have to claim them first.  Having different launch locations makes the game fun (for me anyway, Kerbalside is fun to play with) and if they're at different latitudes then you  have to learn how to correct your trajectory during launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.