Earth Elcano Challenge: Which Path Should I Take?

Matuchkin

Recently, I mentioned a few times that I was going to do the Elcano Challenge on Earth, in RSS. Some of you might know this from the numerous questions I asked, regarding electric propellers. I created two routes, each made to go through several interesting locations. Please read through the descriptions in THIS MY-MAPS DOCUMENT, and vote for which route I should choose.

My ego trip will most likely start next month, if all goes well.

earth_vs_kerbin.jpg

*EDIT*: I have added a third route, going through the North and South poles. The route will have numerous trek areas (so will the others), where the crew will disembark and explore the surroundings.

Edited by Matuchkin

Out of the two options, I'd vote for the first one. The second perplexes me- what's with the seemingly random trip to Florida and back, and why backtrack towards Antarctica?

2 minutes ago, Maximus97 said:

Out of the two options, I'd vote for the first one. The second perplexes me- what's with the seemingly random trip to Florida and back, and why backtrack towards Antarctica?

1. The trip starts and ends at Cape Canaveral.

2. What you think is a trip to Florida and Back is actually me using the Panama Canal twice, when I leave and when I come back. You have to zoom in.

3. I like Antarctica.

22 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Nevermind. You should go route two as I think you would see more land and interesting stuff.

Yeah, I reckon. I was also going to stop by some isolated pacific islands. On the other hand, route 1 has the Mediterranean and the Suez.

10 minutes ago, insert_name said:

route 1 is way shorter, also wrong subfourm

Which subforum should this go in? I'll ask for it to be moved. @sal_vager?

Just now, sal_vager said:

Hmmm let me think...

How about mission reports, you can run this as an ongoing mission with member contributions for your course.

Well, sure, but this is more of a decision making thing. I plan to start my mission with the ship development, on another thread.

2 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Well, sure, but this is more of a decision making thing. I plan to start my mission with the ship development, on another thread.

Ahh I see, well then here's as good as anywhere really.

I also vote for route two.

3 minutes ago, cantab said:

I'd say the Suez route. Lots of well-known locations in the Mediterranean and then into the Middle East and on to Asia and Indonesia.

Yeah, and a bunch of isolated atolls to dump people on. I'd go for that one.

I have added a third route, going through the North and South poles. The route will have numerous trek areas (so will the others), where the crew will disembark and explore the surroundings via land-vehicle. For that reason, I had to remove the poll. I am still collecting opinions, however, and will launch a new poll when I am fully prepared for the voyage (I've got this awful boat no one cares about. I'm working on it).

41 minutes ago, cantab said:

Firespitter has electric props, I used them for my Laythe boat. KAX has one too but it's weaker.

So I can use plane propellers as a subtitute for boat propellers? Not bad, I'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking I should make the ship design wider, to give space for walking on the actual deck of the ship.

Sheesh, looks like you're in for a heck of a trip whatever route you take!  (I would go with route A, personally)

I might do this, too, but an overland route to test the new wheel physics when they come out.  Probably some sort of boat/buggy hybrid like my last attempt (link in sig)

25 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Have you build a craft for this yet? Anyways I vote route 1

I have! I have already posted an imgur album here, and one in the spacecraft exchange (it hasn't been replied to, and 12 hours have passed since I made it). I would like a few suggestions, you know. First time I've ever succeeded in building a large ship and making it look like one.

Again:  http://imgur.com/a/e0vOv

Edited by Matuchkin

Since I see that the opinions and discussions have ended, and that I am fairly ready with my ships (fairly), I have put up a poll for option 1,2, and 3.  Nevermind, that option doesn't exist for some reason.

Edited by Matuchkin

• 2 weeks later...

I have a good ship, the start of my challenge is at hand. I'm just stuck at some KAS stuff, and wondering how to get a pontoon with a vehicle on/off a ledge. I also need help for something (such as a mod) that can get me a low part-count pontoon/boat, from which I can unload a sizeable vehicle.

also need a damn electric propeller. KAX and Firespitter don't seem to cut my issue.

Edited by Matuchkin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.