Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

I am pleased to announce that RSP will start a full production cycle and experiments on a new fully automated reuseable landing system. Thanks for the inspiration SpaceX

Wow..  Ok I've calmed down a bit.  (tee heee)

Apparently I can't post a video url with  a specific time stamp on it.  Skip ahead in this video to 28:25, the part I'm referencing starts at 28:30.  Ignore the sound.. it's way out of sync for some reason.

Did anyone notice the flames that started to appear around the tank butt, prograde of the engines at that this point?  I kept thinking this was going to be a catastrophic failure.  Is this normal and what is it exactly? 

Ok this video is messed up..  Now the point I'm talking about is at 20 minutes.

Edited by Aethon

1 hour ago, Frida Space said:

Asked whether it's going to be a test flight or a flight with a paying costumer, Elon said he thinks the latter, but still has to discuss with the clients.

10% discount when launching with used parts

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

16 minutes ago, Aethon said:

Wow..  Ok I've calmed down a bit.  (tee heee)

Apparently I can't post a video url with  a specific time stamp on it.  Skip ahead in this video to 28:25, the part I'm referencing starts at 28:30.  Ignore the sound.. it's way out of sinc for some reason.

Did anyone notice the flames that started to appear around the tank butt, prograde of the engines at that this point?  I kept thinking this was going to be a catastrophic failure.  Is this normal and what is it exactly? 

Are you referring to the landing at 27:30 ? what you see is the exhaust light reflecting against the landing legs, while they are still rotating. for aerodynamism reasons (deployed legs are extra draggy) the landing legs are deployed only at the last moment - they almost lock in place less than 1s before touchdown.

No.  Apparently the uploader of this video has edited it.  The part I'm referring to now starts at 20:00.  I recommend watching from 19:50 through 20:30 or so.

Edited by Aethon

Its looks fine to me @Aethon, it looks like the plume is widening as it gets into the higher parts of the atmosphere, which is normal. I think normally SpaceX cuts to the onboard cam earlier in their casts than they did today.

Yeah.  That was my later explanation, less atmosphere, but it just seems like the flames are coming out ahead of the rocket nozzles.  Obviously it was nominal because it was able to NAIL the landing! 

Wooooooooooooooo!  

I does not appear this was posted

skip ahead like 9 minutes

more like skip ahead 15-20 minutes, lol.

Is it an optical illusion it looks like the distal edge of the F9 2nd stage is flexing and bulging.

Edited by PB666

Regarding the drone ship landing "We were confident that if it did fail, it would fail for a new reason... it turns out there are a lot of reasons for a rocket to fail."

13 minutes ago, Aethon said:

Yeah.  That was my later explanation, less atmosphere, but it just seems like the flames are coming out ahead of the rocket nozzles.  Obviously it was nominal because it was able to NAIL the landing! 

Wooooooooooooooo!  

one other possibility, is that it's indeed from gas expansion due to lower pressure - but it could be coming from the merlin's gas generators exhausts.

54 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

Note that the speed is near the speed of sound at the time the extra flame comes - could that be relevant? I really know nothing about that and curious to know.

Yeah.  It was a few seconds before MaxQ.

1 hour ago, FancyMouse said:

Note that the speed is near the speed of sound at the time the extra flame comes - could that be relevant? I really know nothing about that and curious to know.

here's something to compare it to :) Atlas V launch, as the atlas's RD-180 is a staged combustion cycle (no separate gas generator exhaust)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkRZeEtumNE&nohtml5=False&spfreload=10

the flames that 'widen' out on the sides near max Q is mostly due to the interaction between the two expanding exhausts of both nozzles. 

6 hours ago, AngelLestat said:

If they could land in such tiny barge in those wave conditions, then anything is possible.
I am expecting +95% success rate for ground attemps and also a high rate of success for sea barge landing with a new special barge (bigger and stable).

Next up: Kerbal landing rockets phase 2: HIGH SPEED BARGE LANDINGS :)

Phase 3: Fairing reuse.

Phase 4: 2nd stage engine reuse.

Phase 5?: 2nd stage reuse.

Go SpaceX!

6 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Oh, please. Who cares?

6 hours ago, max_creative said:

I'M OUT OF REP!!! NO!!! 

They should name a barge "f5" because that reloads quicksaves in ksp.

Now they need to land 

1. a falcon heavy. 
  2. Red dragon on Mars. 

FOR SCIENCE!!! FOR SPACEX!!!

Red Dragon was already killed on arrival, no one wanted it, not even SpaceX.

6 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I chose my words poorly. Are they going to re-use this one, or the one that landed previously? Will they tell us how much it costs? When do we find out whether they've done re-use right and made it worth it? We would have thrown a party in 1981, too, but the shuttle's problems only became apparent with time.

I bet @illectro is scrambling to upload something just to shut up the thousands of people asking him for his opinion.

Probably this one, eventually. Only time will tell whether this end up being cheaper than making a smaller rocket expendable with the same performance overall.

6 hours ago, Robotengineer said:

I seriously doubt SpaceX will release the real cost savings from reuse, given that they are already the cheapest (I think) launch provider out there. They don't plant to reuse the first one they landed AFAIK, and we'll have to wait until we see what sort of shape the one that just landed is in. Who is @illectro?

Why wouldn't they? It's more publicity :)

5 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The first one was not intended to be reused, simply due to its nostalgic value. This one, however, is absolutely slated for reuse.

Also, likely the 1st one is need to test out stuff in case another rocket goes boom, like Enterprise after Columbia.

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So no more plans to use a re-used booster for the flight abort test?

I think that was the F9R dev2 rocket they were using...