[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

Just now, Jollyfellow said:

That's not official... is it? And yes, because they're not counted as turrets, I don't think.

Why wouldn't they be counted as turrets? They do everything all the standard turrets do, except they use lasers instead.

4 minutes ago, JollyGreenGI said:

Why wouldn't they be counted as turrets? They do everything all the standard turrets do, except they use lasers instead.

Because they're lasers... They shoot light, not bullets... Plus I think @inigma would mention specifically if lasers were banned. (Which I don't think they should be because there are easy ways to protect against them).

Edited by Jollyfellow

8 minutes ago, Jollyfellow said:

Because they're lasers... They shoot light, not bullets... Plus I think @inigma would mention specifically if lasers were banned. (Which I don't think they should be because there are easy ways to protect against them).

Well if turreted guns are banned, then why not lasers? They have 100% accuracy and negate maneuverability, and I've noticed that radiator panels no longer work against 20mm vulcan bullets, so laser armor is now only good for lasers.

1 minute ago, drtricky said:

Well if turreted guns are banned, then why not lasers? They have 100% accuracy and negate maneuverability, and I've noticed that radiator panels no longer work against 20mm vulcan bullets, so laser armor is now only good for lasers.

But... that would be the point. Turrets are banned because they're hard to defend against, but lasers aren't because they're easy to defend against...

1 minute ago, Jollyfellow said:

But... that would be the point. Turrets are banned because they're hard to defend against, but lasers aren't because they're easy to defend against...

I've noticed that radiator panel armor seems to decrease bullet survivability now. That plane of mine with radiator armor had a panel take a small fraction of a burst of 20mm rounds, and the entire plane was blown apart. It was hit along an empty fuselage section too, which on the unarmored variant, was able to withstand multiple 20mm bursts without showing any signs of heat.

2 minutes ago, drtricky said:

I've noticed that radiator panel armor seems to decrease bullet survivability now. That plane of mine with radiator armor had a panel take a small fraction of a burst of 20mm rounds, and the entire plane was blown apart. It was hit along an empty fuselage section too, which on the unarmored variant, was able to withstand multiple 20mm bursts without showing any signs of heat.

Huh... Probably another reason for turrets being banned. But radiator panels still protect well against lasers, so keep any armored variant.

*SIGH*

I just saved a jet variant as my main jet... AUGH

1 hour ago, Jollyfellow said:

But... Lasers aren't banned... Turrets are.

@inigma I agree with Dman, I think it should be a 300 part total, but I will try to get my ASC-II jet(s) down a bit until then.

Dang... Still stuck at 22 BDArmory parts.... *sigh*

ASC-II will ban lasers.

NO! But... that just leaves cannons and missiles... Huh... Now I have to change my variants again...

No worries. Lasers will make a comeback in ASC-IV (July-ish).

Edited by inigma

*sigh*. So keep my variants?

Aye.

I'm also not yet fully convinced on the turret allowance (even if they are locked to 0 gimbal) for ASC-II though... I want mounted canons to not become extinct after the first few matches.

But... wait... Lasers are easy to defend against, why not just make lasers have a short range/range limit so that they aren't super OP?

Mainly because the theme for ASC-II is Modern Dogfighting.  Lasers aren't really used in modern dogfighting, except when mounted to a jetliner targeted missiles only.  But due to the complexity of such, it's just easier to say no to lasers for now.  ASC-IV will bring lasers back.

1 minute ago, inigma said:

Mainly because the theme for ASC-II is Modern Dogfighting.  Lasers aren't really used in modern dogfighting, except when mounted to a jetliner targeted missiles only.  But due to the complexity of such, it's just easier to say no to lasers for now.  ASC-IV will bring lasers back.

Okay, I guess that's fair, but cannons are still okay, (since they can't really move), right?

And not to brag... but has anyone ever heard of a thread reaching 1000 original (and not padding) posts in under a month's worth of time on the KSP Forums?  Who do we need to roll out the red carpet for around here to get TOTM April?

Okay, I guess that's fair, but cannons are still okay, (since they can't really move), right?

Of course canons are ok. I want to see bullets flying and craft dodging.

Just now, inigma said:

And not to brag... but has anyone ever heard of a thread reaching 1000 original (and not padding) posts in under a month's worth of time on the KSP Forums?  Who do we need to roll out the red carpet for around here to get TOTM April?

I don't know, but I've reached 33 in these three days... so... I'm on track, I guess.

5 minutes ago, inigma said:

Of course canons are ok. I want to see bullets flying and craft dodging.

Yeah... I just went back to look at rules... I feel stupid now. However, it brings up the question about the 30mm cannon. Is that okay, since it's technically a fixed turret? Or am I just asking stupid questions by now?...

9 minutes ago, Jollyfellow said:

I don't know, but I've reached 33 in these three days... so... I'm on track, I guess.

Yeah... I just went back to look at rules... I feel stupid now. However, it brings up the question about the 30mm cannon. Is that okay, since it's technically a fixed turret? Or am I just asking stupid questions by now?...

The 1000th post in this glorious thread will respond to say... um... probably. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.