[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

Tip to everyone out there: the update today has caused the pause menu to sometimes not show up, making it impossible to do things like revert a flight. Quicksaves, however, still work fine, so remember to quicksave before every match!

Don't know if anyone's noticed this yet, but Vessel mover in 1.1 seems to break staging when spawning in crafts. It condenses all stages into one that doesn't respond to the staging key. Recommend binding all engines directly to the staging action group instead.

Just now, JollyGreenGI said:

Don't know if anyone's noticed this yet, but Vessel mover in 1.1 seems to break staging when spawning in crafts. It condenses all stages into one that doesn't respond to the staging key. Recommend binding all engines directly to the staging action group instead.

I remember that being mentioned prior to 1.1. It's why I use hyperedit to move my vessels.

Vessel Mover can be glitchy when spawning in vessels, this is a known issue (it even states that it is experimental) ... Best way to utilize this mod is to launch each vehicle from the VAB/SPH and then just move them using the mod

If you launch and don't spawn there shouldn't be any staging issues ... at least I haven't come across this happening when doing things this way

All ASC Series I matches are completed and published! Thanks to everyone for making this happen! It's a lot of work, and hopefully we can keep it fresh, and rotating. :)  If ever you want to volunteer to host matches, speak up!

Time to take a small breather until May 2 or 3 when I plan to introduce ASC-II. Hopefully by then we will figure out most of the kinks (and figure out what to do with 1.1.1) in time for ASC-II.  I think for posterity sake we will just use the same ASC thread, but re-title of course. :)

I will be afk for most of the weekend, but hopefully back late Sunday night, or Monday day.

This was a blast. No pun intended. You guys made it absolutely fun.

And as a nugget for waiting until ASC-II, I challenge anyone here who still has a 1.0.5 install, to prove by video or screenshot, that you can actually win in player vs AI combat head to head against any listed King of the Hill in ASC Series I. You can go 1v1 or 2v2 (you can have an AI wingman), at KSC, or Island, or anywhere. How many Kings can you prove to defeat using your own personal dogfighting skill?

Edited by inigma

9 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Man, those Fiestas are monsters. That Solarius fight was fantastic.

Are locked turrets still go for ASC-II?

not if they make fixed cannons extinct. unknown at this point. i'll have a weekend to think it over and hear arguments in favor or against. :)

also I totally agree. the awesome sauce begins at 7:40 in that video. heh.

Hey, anyone with the skillz, want to make a montage video of the best moments of ASC-I to promote the series to the world?  A nice video under 3 mins would be amazing if you could pull it off.

Edited by inigma

I'm currently converting everything over to 1.1, and I now have BDArmory and Mechjeb, waiting on KAX...and when I am ready, when the historical battles start, be VERY afraid of my Kerbfire...

I am also actively developing aircraft to use besides the Kerbfire.  Say hello to the Wildhorse:

aab499781b48952b6c6bcd8a71c18f01.png

Edited by Draconiator

13 hours ago, inigma said:

And not to brag... but has anyone ever heard of a thread reaching 1000 original (and not padding) posts in under a month's worth of time on the KSP Forums?  Who do we need to roll out the red carpet for around here to get TOTM April?

Actually, yeah... Shameless plug here for the Real Space Program...

But this is just as good.

8 hours ago, inigma said:

Hey, anyone with the skillz, want to make a montage video of the best moments of ASC-I to promote the series to the world?  A nice video under 3 mins would be amazing if you could pull it off.

I might do that. I'd have to watch through all the ASC matches, but no biggie. Also, I have a bit of music I found that is just waiting for a video:

Oooooh. We can embed SoundCloud now. Noice.

2 hours ago, Draconiator said:

I'm currently converting everything over to 1.1, and I now have BDArmory and Mechjeb, waiting on KAX...and when I am ready, when the historical battles start, be VERY afraid of my Kerbfire...

I am also actively developing aircraft to use besides the Kerbfire.  Say hello to the Wildhorse:

aab499781b48952b6c6bcd8a71c18f01.png

I like the Wildhorse! Can you send the craft file? I will record a video against my plane with the old fixed cal .50

1 hour ago, drtricky said:

Now that this is over, I'll just ask this: Can you make an exception in ASC-II for allowing lasers on large bombers set only to target missiles?

Pweeeaaaassseee?

e2203a4c2c42a5e31e72e5a8b620ffbf.jpg

No, because lasers are not used in modern warfighting, even against missiles currently - in such a configuration that BDA allows.  Sorry.  ASC-A might allow it, but not ASC-II. Also targeting missiles with a laser is almost a guarantee target enemy since as long as the enemy has missiles, the laser can attack the craft, which in modern dogfighting is unrealistic at present.

Edited by inigma

10 hours ago, inigma said:

not if they make fixed cannons extinct. unknown at this point. i'll have a weekend to think it over and hear arguments in favor or against. :)

The main argument against turrets is that the 30mm chain gun has explosive ammo. Other then that, all the turrets are just rotating variants of fixed guns with more weight and drag.

59 minutes ago, Hobbes Novakoff said:

The main argument against turrets is that the 30mm chain gun has explosive ammo. Other then that, all the turrets are just rotating variants of fixed guns with more weight and drag.

Isn't a 20mm round explosive too? And explosive rounds are only useful if they make contact with a surface, so doesn't that fit within the logic that 30mm rounds are supposed to be more powerful?

Edited by drtricky

11 hours ago, inigma said:

All ASC Series I matches are completed and published! Thanks to everyone for making this happen! It's a lot of work, and hopefully we can keep it fresh, and rotating. :)  If ever you want to volunteer to host matches, speak up!

I think I'll host a few, I believe I usually average around 30-40 FPS at 1080p while recording, and it goes higher if possible.

15 minutes ago, drtricky said:

Isn't a 20mm round explosive too? And explosive rounds are only useful if they make contact with a surface, so doesn't that fit within the logic that 30mm rounds are supposed to be more powerful?

No, the 20mm rounds are just bullets. Also, I haven't tested this, but does the chain gun act like the flak cannon with the timed fuses?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.