[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Noticed that when I have Kerbalism installed, the filters on the Hullcam VDS Continued (0.1.4.1 and 0.1.6) cameras don't work for me. No idea what it might be, all I know is that if I remove Kerbalism the filters work again.
Also tested it on a clean KSP 1.2.1 install with only Hullcam, Kerbalism, MM2.7.5.

Also it struck me that the Kerbalism radial containers very light compared to the comparable universal storage radial containers? Or the US containers are very heavy compared to the Kerbalism containers :P 

On 09/12/2016 at 3:24 PM, Gotmachine said:

EDIT : also another bug that happened twice to me, landed on the Mun with a 1 kerbal lander that has a probe core. Seems that if the vessel don't have a signal (the probe core can't provide control), if you go on EVA with the Kerbal and then back in the vessel, the control is not restored. Can be fixed by switching to another vessel and back.

Seems related to the above : when docking/undocking two vessels that have varying SAS levels, the SAS levels aren't updated (they stay the same even if they shouldn't). Again, is fixed by reloading the vessel.

EDIT : I'm making a generic MM patch to support Contract Configurator (specifically the Bases and Stations Contract Pack) and noticed that kerbalism module names are super generic (like "Greenhouse", "Laboratory" or "Antenna"), maybe you should prefix them with "Kerbalism".

Edited by Gotmachine

First: awesome mod!!

On Mac, the communication network is completely disabled after installing Kerbalism. I outfitted a probe core with just an antenna and it has no connection at all. Even on the launch pad. I tried this with and without other mods.

With a career game in 1.2.1 it is the same thing. No ship has a connection at all. New or existing. 

Removing Kerbalism won't revert this behavior. I have to reinstall the game completely to get the com network back up again.

Edited by frans
Typos

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Having problems with instability, Kerbals lose their minds after about 10 days

Do you have any comforts?  Phone home is a cheap one that helps a bit. Give them more living space, perhaps?

I just unlocked Space Exploration to get "Water Recycler in Pod".  But it seems that if I use Configure Pod to enable it, I lose the scrubber.  Why can't I have both?

EDIT:  It seems that I can switch either the top or bottom one in the window.  Is that how it's meant to work?  Pick any 2 LS components?  What do I lose if I give up Pressure Control?  Does the whole pod depressurize and leave him in his suit?

Edited by lordcirth

24 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

Pick any 2 LS components?  What do I lose if I give up Pressure Control?  Does the whole pod depressurize and leave him in his suit?

Most pods can only have 2 LS components, but you can add a second (or even third) pod, and hence add more LS components.  And yes, if you don't have Pressure Control, he ends up stuck in his suit.

Edited by AVaughan
Spelling.

7 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

Most pods can only have 2 LS components, but you can add a second (or even third) pod, and hence add more LS components.  And yes, if you don't have Pressure Control, he ends up stuck in his suit.

And the scrubbers/water recyclers/ etc have enough capacity in a mk1 pod to be shared by a few kerbals?

From what I can tell, they are designed to support 4 kerbals.  But that is a simplification.  

The amount of Pressure Control modules you need to support pressurisation seems to be dependent on the number and size of your pressurised spaces, (your nitrogen consumption is also dependent on this).  

The amount of scrubbers you need is dependent on the number of kerbals.  Kerbals drink water and produce waste water, but your greenhouses also produce waste water.  When your kerbals eat, they produce waste. Recycling waste water also produces waste.

Use the life support planner in the VAB, (click on the heartbeat icon beside the contracts pop-up) it will tell you if you have enough pressure control, scrubbers, how long your food/oxygen/nitrogen/water will last etc.  Make sure you have the life support modules turned on in the VAB, if you want the planner to count them).

Edit: Other parts with crew capacity also have lifesupport slots.  eg the crew cabins, hitchhiker storage pod, and the mobile processing lab.

Edited by AVaughan

6 hours ago, APlayer said:

It's not like it's impossible to update while preserving the settings the way it is now, but it is just somewhat annoying, and if you forget about it, then your settings are lost

5 hours ago, AVaughan said:

I was just about to make a post wondering about how to use Module Manager to patch the config files, so I could just keep a small patch file outside the Kerbalism folder, rather than patch the config profile file by hand.

This was possible in 1.1.4, but in the new version the Settings are parsed before MM patches are applied. It was necessary for the feature detection machinery, but I agree it is not ideal.

4 hours ago, mrZonke said:

Noticed that when I have Kerbalism installed, the filters on the Hullcam VDS Continued (0.1.4.1 and 0.1.6) cameras don't work for me. No idea what it might be, all I know is that if I remove Kerbalism the filters work again.

I fail to see how this could be caused by Kerbalism.

4 hours ago, mrZonke said:

Also it struck me that the Kerbalism radial containers very light compared to the comparable universal storage radial containers? Or the US containers are very heavy compared to the Kerbalism containers

They are 5, 25 and 125 Kg respectively. You think that's too low?

3 hours ago, Gotmachine said:
On 12/9/2016 at 3:24 PM, Gotmachine said:

EDIT : also another bug that happened twice to me, landed on the Mun with a 1 kerbal lander that has a probe core. Seems that if the vessel don't have a signal (the probe core can't provide control), if you go on EVA with the Kerbal and then back in the vessel, the control is not restored. Can be fixed by switching to another vessel and back.

Seems related to the above : when docking/undocking two vessels that have varying SAS levels, the SAS levels aren't updated (they stay the same even if they shouldn't). Again, is fixed by reloading the vessel.

I was not able to replicate the first problem (didn't even try the second one). Question: does this happen with Signal, or with CommNet? If the former, I don't see it happening in my case. In the latter, probably a bug in CommNet itself (as I'm just querying the connection status from CommNet, no changes on its mechanics).

3 hours ago, jo_jo_binks said:

Connections is visible in Space Center view.

Oh  :) I'll check

3 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Having problems with instability, Kerbals lose their minds after about 10 days

That is intended. Provide them with pressurized habitat and it will go to 100 days. Then give them all the comforts and it will go to 1000 days. Finally provide 40 m^3 of habitable volume for each crew member, and it will go to 10000 days.

3 hours ago, frans said:

On Mac, the communication network is completely disabled after installing Kerbalism. I outfitted a probe core with just an antenna and it has no connection at all. Even on the launch pad. I tried this with and without other mods.

With a career game in 1.2.1 it is the same thing. No ship has a connection at all. New or existing

Antenna need to be extended to work (can be disabled in Settings, set ExtendedAntenna to false).

54 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

I just unlocked Space Exploration to get "Water Recycler in Pod".  But it seems that if I use Configure Pod to enable it, I lose the scrubber.  Why can't I have both?

EDIT:  It seems that I can switch either the top or bottom one in the window.  Is that how it's meant to work?  Pick any 2 LS components?  What do I lose if I give up Pressure Control?  Does the whole pod depressurize and leave him in his suit?

Yes. 2 ECLSS modules for each manned pod. The Pressure Control is not vital, but you want it in general for the quality of life bonus.

Also note that these ECLSS modules can fail. So you want redundancy on long-term missions.

27 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

And the scrubbers/water recyclers/ etc have enough capacity in a mk1 pod to be shared by a few kerbals?

Absolutely. I would have to check the numbers (write them some time ago...) but more or less they are good for 4 crew members. The pressure control too has ample capacity.

Today, I accidentally clicked a button and it retracted my antenna, so I lost connection. I couldn't extend it again, and thus my probe was lost to essentially a wrong click.

Now what I suggest, would it be possible to warn the user and ask for confirmation to retract an antenna if it would lead to complete loss of control (Last antenna, no crew)? I think it would prevent quite a few failed missions.

@APlayer I could prevent retracting altogheter if that is the last extended antenna... but it will require hacking ModuleAnimationGroup, that I'm currently using to control the extended state.

I could even remove the requirement on antenna being extended. I kind of like it, however.

Another option may be to treat all low-gains as extended even when they are not extended.

Throughts?

image.pngAnother experimental version, maybe the last one.
Still potentially unstable and unbalanced.
Please report bugs and balance issues.

Version: 1.1.5-pre4
Require: KSP 1.2.1+, ModuleManager 2.7.5
Download: github

Changelog (from 1.1.5-pre3):

• fix: Nvidia rendering issue (hopefully, need confirmation from an Nvidia user)
  • fix: avoid confirm popup getting stuck when the science dialog is closed by game events
  • fix: do not render signal lines when Signal is disabled
  • fix: do not render anything in space center view, irregardless of MapView.MapIsEnabled value
  • fix: force refresh of VAB UI when quality is changed on a Reliability module
  • fix: force refresh of VAB UI when setups change on a Configure module
  • balance: reduced atmosphere leak rate
  • balance: slightly increased pressure control capacity
  • balance: 1.25m lander pod now get 2 ECLSS module slots
  • balance: reduced processing capacity of big ISRU chemical plant

Changelog (from 1.1.5-pre2):

• fix: missing resources in parts that are using Configure module
  • fix: exceptions thrown by Reliability module in some circumstances

Changelog (from 1.1.5-pre1):

• data UI show experiment body/biome/situation
  • data recorded is now clamped to max available for that experiment situation
  • scaled down experiment data size a bit, randomized the values
  • hijack data from any science container, not just ModuleScienceExperiment
  • use buffering in data transmission to avoid triggering OnScienceReceived event too much
  • fix: combinatory explosion in Configure module symmetry handling
  • fix: resource duplication in Configure module
  • fix: support multiple pages in science dialog
  • fix: analytical sunlight issue during timewarp blending
  • fix: remove drive on PartDie, instead of PartDestroyed

Changelog (from 1.1.4):

Spoiler

* this is a summary of the changes  
  Rule framework
    - multiple profiles can cohexist in the same installation, only one is enabled from user settings
    - Process: vessel-wide resource consumer/producers driven by modifiers        
    - split Supply out of Rule, for additional flexibility
    - can use resource amount as a modifier
    - many new modifiers, to leverage the information provided by habitat
  Features framework
    - user specified features are set by a flag in settings
    - other features are detected automatically from the modifiers used in the active profile    
    - inject MM patches during loading screen, before MM is executed
    - third parties can check for specific features or profiles by using NEEDS[]
    - parts are enabled/disabled automatically depending on features used    
  Resource cache
    - new 'exact, order-agnostic' algorithm for consumption/production chains at arbitrary timesteps
    - consider interval-based outputs in depletion estimates    
  Configure
    - new module Configure: can select between setups in the VAB or in flight
    - setups can specify resources and/or modules
    - setups can include extra cost and mass
    - setups can be unlocked with technologies
    - configuration UI, that show info on modules and resources for a setup    
  Habitat
    - new module Habitat: replace CLS internal spaces
    - used to calculate internal volume in m^3, and surface in m^2    
    - can be disabled/enabled even in flight to configure the internal space as required
    - support inflatable habitats
    - can be pressurized/depressurized
    - can keep track of level of CO2 in the internal atmosphere
    - can be added to parts with no crew capacity
  Greenhouse
    - improved module: Greenhouse
    - lamps intensity is determined automatically, and is expressed in W/m^2
    - can have radiation and pressure thresholds for growth
    - can require an arbitrary set of input resources
    - can produce an arbitrary set of by-product resources
    - growth will degenerate if lighting/radiation/pressure conditions aren't met      
  ISRU
    - planetary resource definitions based on real data
    - new module Harvester: for crustal/atmospheric resource extraction, use abundance/pressure thresholds    
  Wet workshops
    - some stock tanks can now be configured as either fuel tanks or habitats, even in flight    
  QualityOfLife
    - new module Comfort: replace Entertainment and provide a specific bonus, added to some stock parts
    - modified module GravityRing: now provide firm-ground bonus
    - living space is calculated from volume per-capita    
  Radiation
    - shielding required is now determined by habitat surface, and map to millimeters of Pb
    - rtg emit a small amount of ratiation
  Planner
    - single page layout, with panel selection
    - show consumers/producers of a resource in tooltip
    - improved/redesigned most panels
    - redundancy analysis for Reliability panel    
  Reliability
    - improved subsystem: Reliability
    - support arbitrary third party modules
    - components are now disabled when they fail
    - two types of failures: malfunctions (can be repaired) and critical failures (can't be repaired)
    - safemode: there is a chance of remote repairs for unmanned vessels
    - components can be assigned to redundancy groups
    - an optional redundancy incentive is provided: when a component fail, all others in the same redundancy group delay their next failure
    - removed 'manufacturing quality'
    - can select quality per-component in the vab, high quality means higher cost and/or mass but longer MTBF    
  Signal
    - improved: focus on data transmission rates and differences between low-gain and high-gain antennas    
    - high-gain antennas: can communicate only with DSN
    - low-gain antennas: can communicate with DSN and with other vessels
    - low-gain antennas: can be flagged as 'relay' to receive data from other vessels
    - can choose what level of control to lose without a connection:
      . 'none' (lose all control),
      . 'limited' (same as CommNet limited control) and
      . 'full' (only disable data transmission)
    - easy parameters for antenna definitions
    - simple data rate attenuation model
    - render data transmission particles during data transmission
    - disable CommNet automatically when enabled
    - connection status is obtained by CommNet or RemoteTech when signal is disabled
    - new signal panel in vessel info window, show data rates, destination and file being transmitted    
  Science
    - new subsystem: Science, improve on data storage, transmission and analysis
    - transmit data over time, even in background
    - analyze data over time, even in background
    - the background data transmission work with Signal, CommNet or RemoteTech.
    - new module: HardDrive, replace stock data container, can flag files for transmission and lab analysis
    - new module: Laboratory, can analyze samples and produce transmissible data    
    - work with all science experiment modules, both stock and third-party, by hijacking the science result dialog
    - data storage: can store multiple results of same experiment type, can transfer to other parts without requiring EVA
    - data storage: can still be stored on EVA kerbals, and EVA kerbals can take/store data from/to pods
    - data UI: show files and samples per-vessel, can flag for transmission or analysis, can delete files or samples
    - properly credit the science over time
    - do not break science collection contracts       
  Automation
    - removed the Console and command interpreter    
    - new scripting system: not text-based anymore
    - new component control and script editing UI
    - script editor UI highlight parts for ease of use    
  Misc
    - ported to KSP 1.2.1    
    - consistent part naming scheme
    - rebalanced mass/cost of all parts
    - improved part descriptions
    - do not change stock EC producers/consumers anymore
    - adapted all support patches, removed the ones not necessary anymore    
    - shaders are loaded from asset bundle
    - removed workarounds for old SCANsat versions
    - some Settings added, others removed
    - action group support for all modules
    - properly support multiple modules of the same type in the same part
    - optimized how animations in modules are managed
    - can optionally use the stock message system instead of our own
    - can optionally simulate the effect of tracking pivots on solar panels orientability
    - removed helmet handling for EVA kerbals
    - doesn't require CRP anymore, but it will still work along it
    - improved how crew requirements are specified in modules
    - show limited body info window when Sun is selected, instead of nothing
    - new contract: analyze sample in space
    - new contract: cross the heliopause
    - rebalanced ec consumers/producers    
    - show tooltips in vessel info
    - use common style for all part info tooltips    
    - AtomicAge engines emit radiation (ThePsion5)  
    - more love for VenStockRevamp patch (YaarPodshipnik)        
  Profile: 'Default'
    - rewritten from scratch
    - balanced consumption rates from real data
    - balanced container capacity from real data
    - water
    - co2 poisoning
    - pressurization: influence quality of life
    - configurable ECLSS in pods: scrubber, water recycler, pressure control, waste processing
    - configurable supply containers: can store Food, Water, Waste
    - configurable pressurized tanks: can store Oxygen, Nitrogen, Hydrogen, Ammonia
    - greenhouse: require Ammonia and Water, produce Oxygen and WasteWater as by-product, need to be pressurized, has radiation threshold    
    - stock ISRU plants can be configured with one among a set of reality-inspired chemical processes
    - stock drills can be configured with a specific resource harvester
    - stock atmo experiment is also used as configurable atmospheric harvester
    - stock fuel cells act like real fuel cells
    - new part: Chemical Plant, can execute reality-inspired chemical processes, unlocked early in the tech tree    
  Profile: 'Classic'
    - this profile mimick the old default profile, without the new stuff  
  Profile: 'None'
    - choose this if you want to play with third-party life support mods
  Bugs fixed
    - fix: nasty problem with interaction between cache and analytical sunlight estimation        
    - fix: radiation body definitions were not loaded in some cases    
    - fix: planner, stock laboratory EC consumption wasn't considered
    - fix: planner, solar panel flux estimation was considering atmo factor even in space
    - fix: planner, correctly skip disabled modules    
    - fix: spurious signal loss message when undocking    
    - fix: maintain notes and scripts even after docking/undocking    
    - fix: highlighting of malfunction components in pods
    - fix: in monitor UI signal icon, show all relays in the chain
    - fix: bug with killing eva kerbals while iterating the list of crew    
    - fix: exception when loading dead eva kerbals
    - fix: module index mismatch when loading dead eva kerbals

To me the commnet abstraction of needing an active connection to transmit science/plan maneuvers makes a lot of sense for a game.   It is enough to make you use a suitable antenna/deploy a relay satellite without getting in your way and becoming a nuisance.  Yes in reality NASA could lose a probe if they 'forgot' to deploy an antenna.  But they have paid employees planning and managing their probes, and much more sophisticated control software.    

Without other mods, we don't really have anyway to schedule an antenna to deploy after landing if we want to retract antennas before re-entry and landing at Duna/Eve.   If you have a stack of relay satellites on one of the new fairing trusses maybe you don't even have room to deploy a large 88-88 antenna until after you decouple.

Does setting UnlinkedControl = limited in settings.cfg allow you to extend antennas/deploy solar panels/arm parachutes/deploy fairings etc without an active connection?   I assume it would prevent transmitting science.  Maybe that would be a suitable default.  Anybody who really does want to carefully pre-program every move could always set it back to no control and/or use remotetech with signal delay.

Edited by AVaughan

With this last update I think to have annihilated all bugs reported until now (that is, if the Nvidia issue is confirmed fixed). I will let this sit for a week to get other bug reports eventually. But now I'm more interested in balancing issues. In particular, I would like some feedback on these:

• component failures: are they too infrequent? or are your vessels plagued by them?
  • ECLSS modules in pods: is it interesting to have them configurable? or it will be better to have all of them in all pods?
  • data transmission: are the transmission times too short? too high? what about the EC cost?
  • extended antennas: should I revert to assuming that they are all extended? or should I leave it configurable but default to false?
  • ISRU: would like feedback about the chemical processes from somebody with some Mun/Duna project going on

And of course anything else not in that list. That's it, have fun.

@N70 Not yet, I am working on updating the wiki. I'll give you some early documentation now:

Antenna
type: one of 'low_gain' or 'high_gain'
cost: cost of transmission in EC/s
rate: transmission rate at zero distance in Mb/s
dist: distance at which rate drop to zero, in meters

Comfort
bonus: a string representing the bonus, valid values are: 'firm-ground', 'not-alone', 'call-home', 'panorama', 'exercise'
desc: a short description to show on the part tooltip

Configure
This is rather complex, see how it is used in Default.cfg for now.

Emitter
radiation: radiation emitted (or absorbed if negative), in rad/s
ec_rate: EC consumed per-second when active
toggle: true if it can be activated/deactivated
active: animation to play when going from disabled to enabled, and viceversa

GravityRing
ec_rate: EC consumed per-second when active
deploy: animation to play when going from disabled to enabled, and viceversa
rotate: animation to play on loop when enabled

Greenhouse
Too complex to describe here, see how it is used in Default.cfg and in Classic.cfg for now.

Habitat
volume: internal volume in m^3, if not specified it is deduced from the part bounding box
surface: external surface in m^2, if not specified it is deduced from the part bounding box
inflate: animation that represent inflated habitats, will be still-played from current pressure in the habitat
toggle: true if it can be enabled/disabled

HardDrive
No options.

Harvester
Too many options to describe here, check Default.cfg

Laboratory
ec_rate: EC consumed per-second when there is an analysis going on
analysis_rate: how fast the data is analyzed in Mb/s
researcher: the trait of the crew required for research and their experience level, in this format: Scientist@3

PlannerController
toggle: true if there should be a toggle in the VAB part ui
considered: true if the part should be considered as soon as it is added to the vessel

ProcessController
resource: the pseudo-resource that this module will control 
title: short name to show on part ui
desc: short description to show on part tooltip
capacity: how much of the pseudo-resource is controlled by this module
toggle: true if it can be enabled/disabled

Reliability
type: name of module associated
mtbf: meat time between failures, in seconds
repair: trait and experience level required for repairs, in this format: Engineer@1
redundancy: a string representing the redundancy group this component belongs to (you can use arbitrary ones)
extra_cost: cost added when quality is set to high, in space-bucks
extra_mass: mass added when quality is set to high, in tons

Sensor
type: one of 'temperature', 'radiation', 'solar_flux', 'albedo_flux', 'body_flux'
pin: animation that will be set from the readings value, if specified

52 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Changelog (from 1.1.5-pre3):

• fix: Nvidia rendering issue (hopefully, need confirmation from an Nvidia user)

Sorry, doesn't look like its working for me.  still not seeing anything when I toggle the radiation renderings.  Tried several different bodies.

@AVaughan UnlinkedControl values and what they do:

• 'none': unmanned vessel is bricked as soon as you lose signal
  • 'limited': the exact same control limitations as in CommNet 'Limited control' applies
  • 'full': the vessel can be controlled, and the only consequence of loss of signal is that science data can't be transmitted