[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@The-Doctor I'm still working on the documentation so I got no link to give you. But Science change how data is stored and transmitted.

42 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

also, with Kerbalism, Remotetech and Galileo's all installed, Remotetech's mission control is all the way on another planet

You got a mod that change the planets, and another that has specific mission control positions. Maybe the former is messing with the latter? Or the latter is not configured correctly for the former? In any case this isn't related to Kerbalism at all.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I see them... could be Scatterer I don't know. Could you try without it and letting me know?

Ok, disabled Scatterer created new fresh save and still not seeing them. Do you need to have the tracking station upgraded. I get a message in the center of the screen, "fitting particles to distance fields"

Edited by SavageAngel

@SavageAngel I need to calculate stuff before visualizing the fields. The calculation start as soon as you create/load a game session, and last for 30-60 seconds. When you try to visualize the fields before the calculations are done, I show you that message. So you just need to wait 60 seconds and try again. No upgrade to tracking station needed.

12 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@SavageAngel I need to calculate stuff before visualizing the fields. The calculation start as soon as you create/load a game session, and last for 30-60 seconds. When you try to visualize the fields before the calculations are done, I show you that message. So you just need to wait 60 seconds and try again. No upgrade to tracking station needed.

I waited like 3-5 mins closed and reopened tracking station still nothing, and the message goes away.

Got two things to report.

First of all, I can confirm SavageAngel's bug report. I also can't get those fields to render. Tried both in my heavily modded install, and a separate install that contains no mods what so ever apart from Kerbalism. Also tried at a few different graphics settings, but nothing seem to make a difference.

Also, something else that i'm not sure if it's a bug or not.

When I a while ago sent up my first longer term ship (30 days of orbit, woo!) the planner told me that oxygen and Nitrogen was being used up, so I had to slap on a couple of extra tanks of that. However, once in space and orbiting, these resources show up as "perpetual" and don't seem to be used up at all. Scrubber and Pressurization is of-course running.

Now, i'm not completely sure whether these resources should be running out or not, but the discrepancy between the VAB planner and what I see while in orbit does seem wrong in any case.

Just tell me if you need any more specific information, and also, awesome work mate, I love this new release to death already!

Edit:

One more thing that is not a bug but it is *bugging* me :wink:

Since all the science ends up in a different place compared to stock (so that it can then be transferred according to your rules) other mods can not see that you have already taken sais science. That means that this effectively breaks addons such as AutomatedScienceSampler, XScience, ExperienceTracker etc.
Is there any way to fix this so that these are seen by these mods, or would they have to make a patch that is compatible with Kerbalism?

Edited by nosscire

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

also, with Kerbalism, Remotetech and Galileo's all installed, Remotetech's mission control is all the way on another planet

I'm going to guess that the planet your talking about is Tellumo (sp?). That's an issue with GPP as I believe that the base for that planet was Kerbin. Galileo had a similar problem with CommNet during development.

I'd mention it on GPP's thread. A lot of people use RemoteTech and since he got CommNet to work properly, he can probably swing a fix for RemoteTech.

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I want to make sure I understand the new Science system. Sensors are supposed to collect data over time, correct? So if I launch a geiger counter into LKO will it accrue more data/science after 30 orbits than after 1 orbit? When I log data from my thermometer or geiger counter, the dialogues seem to indicate that I am getting the full amount of science after recovery. Is this correct, or is that number no longer meaningful? Or am I completely off base?

5 minutes ago, bpilgrim said:

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I want to make sure I understand the new Science system. Sensors are supposed to collect data over time, correct? So if I launch a geiger counter into LKO will it accrue more data/science after 30 orbits than after 1 orbit? When I log data from my thermometer or geiger counter, the dialogues seem to indicate that I am getting the full amount of science after recovery. Is this correct, or is that number no longer meaningful? Or am I completely off base?

This wasn't implemented in this version. All science experiments still work just as they always have. It's only the transfer via Signal that takes time. The full science remake was delayed to a later version.

22 minutes ago, nosscire said:

This wasn't implemented in this version. All science experiments still work just as they always have. It's only the transfer via Signal that takes time. The full science remake was delayed to a later version.

Ooooh, that's right. Now I remember. Sorry!

1 hour ago, nosscire said:

When I a while ago sent up my first longer term ship (30 days of orbit, woo!) the planner told me that oxygen and Nitrogen was being used up, so I had to slap on a couple of extra tanks of that. However, once in space and orbiting, these resources show up as "perpetual" and don't seem to be used up at all. Scrubber and Pressurization is of-course running.

Sorry, I was not able to replicate it. I launched in LKO with an extra nitrogen and an extra oxygen tanks. Here there is consumption and estimates are correct. If you are not using too many mods, can you send me your savegame?

screenshot0.png

1 hour ago, nosscire said:

First of all, I can confirm SavageAngel's bug report. I also can't get those fields to render. Tried both in my heavily modded install, and a separate install that contains no mods what so ever apart from Kerbalism. Also tried at a few different graphics settings, but nothing seem to make a difference.

It could be related to the fact that I had to pack the shaders in an asset bundle in the new Unity version. Could you provide me with the first few lines in KSP log (@SavageAngel you too if possible). I'm interested in these lines here:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) X4 740 Quad Core Processor  (4)
RAM: 8150
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5670 (1010MB)
SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx64.dll 8.17.10.1429])
RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, Shadowmap, RGB565, ARGB4444, ARGB1555, Default, ARGB2101010, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

3 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

It could be related to the fact that I had to pack the shaders in an asset bundle in the new Unity version. Could you provide me with the first few lines in KSP log (@SavageAngel you too if possible). I'm interested in these lines here:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8)
RAM: 16333
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (3039MB)
SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dumx.dll 21.21.13.6909])
RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, Shadowmap, RGB565, Default, ARGB2101010, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

Ello!

Seams to work well so far, installed onto ongoing career with 100+ other mods and did a bunch of testing with the science and signal set to off (will try those bits on next career). Really appreciate all the descriptions and comments in the config files, makes it so much easier to customize a profile to ones liking :) 
(I changed the consumption rates to approximately halfway between kerbalisms and tac ls).

Thanks for one of the (if not the most) most awesome mods for KSP!!! 

12 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Sorry, I was not able to replicate it. I launched in LKO with an extra nitrogen and an extra oxygen tanks. Here there is consumption and estimates are correct. If you are not using too many mods, can you send me your savegame?

Actually, investigating this further there seems to be more things wrong with my game. No background processing for Food/Water/Oxygen/Nitrogen works at all. 15 days in, and all resources is still full. The only reason why the Kerbalism details window shows properly for Food/Water is because it's not a fluid usage, but every 2 hours (I think? Whatever).

I tried this in a fully unmodded install (except for Kerbalism obv.) as well, where everything works just fine. Should have done this before saying anything, i'm sorry for wasting your time. I will figure out which mod causes this to break and get back with that info.

As for the other info you wanted:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4)
RAM: 8136
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4058MB)
SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dumx.dll 21.21.13.7619])
RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, Shadowmap, RGB565, Default, ARGB2101010, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@The-Doctor I'm still working on the documentation so I got no link to give you. But Science change how data is stored and transmitted.

You got a mod that change the planets, and another that has specific mission control positions. Maybe the former is messing with the latter? Or the latter is not configured correctly for the former? In any case this isn't related to Kerbalism at all.

I confirmed that, it's not Kerbalism, it's Galileo's.

@ShotgunNinja Regarding the weird consumption of resources, I figured out what was wrong, although I still don't know what caused it.

I got constant spam in the console that said: "Error while obtaining reliability module prefab". This was caused by one of my first ships I sent up during this game called "Drone I". This was solved by just jumping to this vessel and loading up the scene.

Like I said, I have no idea what actually caused this to happen. Will keep my eyes open for if this happens again.

@jo_jo_binks Thanks. I know why it happen and is not obvious how to solve it. There is a game event in KSP that is usually triggered when you recover or transmit science. Some stock function listen to that even, namely the 'collect science from X' contracts. So, in the new Science system, I have to trigger the game event when transmitting science, to keep those contracts working.

Apparently, Chatterer is listening to that event too, and playing sounds when it is triggered.

So I need to find an alternative way to support science collection contracts...

27 minutes ago, jo_jo_binks said:

Issue is with Kerbalism and Chatterer.

When Kerbalism transmits data in background (on current or another craft), modem-style sound from Chatterer playing continuously all time.

Easy way to fix this in Chatterer: Press Chatterer icon, de-select "SSTV on Science Transmitted". You will get rid of that sound, but still have all the other features of Chatterer.

@ShotgunNinja

One more thing I just found before going to bed. Your science system doesn't appear to play nice with ScanSat anymore. Get the following error in log when I try to "Keep Experiment" or "Transmit data":
"Exception: Exception: can't find the experiment module during data hijacking".

Edited by nosscire

I'm also having the radiation belts not showing, here is the beginning of the log :

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4)
RAM: 8152
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (715MB)
SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dumx.dll 9.18.13.4788])

Edit : also another small UI usage issue : when you switch vessels while having the science data panel open, the panel from the previous vessel stays open. Would be better if it was automatically closed. Same thing in the VAB for the tweakable resources/modules, it would be nice if the tweakable popup automatically close when you select another part.

Edited by Gotmachine

I do not know English, everything written wrong is the google translator's fault:

Well, I would like to use this brilliant mod realistically but without antenna systems (I prefer stock) and life support (to use TAC Life), I tested with the file 'None' and 'RealismNoLS' and I could see that both remove other Functions like Stress, Habitat, Radiation among other related things and that's not what I wanted, maybe these files are still outdated (understandable).

Using the full mod I had a doubt, I realized that it is added to any vessel storage of oxygen, water, food, nitrogen and shielding, but had no carbon dioxide and waste, this does not make recycling impossible by converters or is not Even needed?

Congratulations on your work.

Edited by ThRodrigues

An issue I've seen though I'm not sure it's from this mod is when launching with mechjeb if I have say a goo container on a lower stage and run the experiment a warning sign comes up saying it will become inoperable (think is a message from kerbalism) well if mechjeb stages and drops the goo container before I press an option then I cannot get rid of the message or use any right click option on my ship ie mission over revert to launch...like I said not positive it's a kerbalism issue I'd do have around 90 mods installed but cannot get on my computer for a while to test further so I thought I'd just put it out there hopefully someone else can confirm it ....or prove me wrong

So far no actual issues with Kerbalism!:kiss:  I do have one odd issue which is ruining the game for me, but Im not sure it is kerbalism, but it did not happen before kerbalism.

I have Strategia and SEP(maybe some more) which adjust or change some science. I will select Local Science from Strategia, escape the atmosphere, collect some science, and come back to 2,000 science 5 minutes after starting the game. I dont know how to figure out which mod is doing what. I was hoping you might know how to find out which mod is interacting eith kerbalism and doing whatever triggers that action. Also I have the gameplay settings on career mode and hard.

Side note, is it possible to report to [X]Science that research has already been completed? It will track next mission that X, Y, and Z are complete, but on the same mission it doesnt register. I end up clicking a few experiments multiple times due to uncertainty. [I just realized this question was already posed, but not sure what the proper etiquette is for questions so Im deciding to leave it here]

Kerbalism is outstanding! Thanks for taking the time to create the mod for the rest of us. :rep:

Edited by nightstalker101s
One part already asked

On 12/5/2016 at 10:54 AM, APlayer said:

@nightstalker101s@Yemo of course you guys can use my "Realism without Life Support" profile, not to self-advertise. :P:sealed:

I did and it made my life easier because I decided to switch to TAC-LS. (I just like the 3D models for the resources better. Petty, I know.) Thanks for the suggestion.

Me again with a bug I noticed earlier (but i'm now able to reproduce it loading an old quicksave) :

Situation : orbit around the mun with a crewed vessel carrying 3 small lander probes. I have some data onboard (samples and transmissible data). I detach one of the probes to do a landing, and do a telemetry with it (so I have some data on the probe). So far so good, I begin my descent burn. If I switch between each ship with the hotkey, no problem. Focused on the probe, as soon as the main ship gets out of the physics bubble (the switch hotkey is disabled and I use the map view switching) the data on the main ship disappear. If I reload the save, do my burn with the probe, switch to the main vessel, wait for the probe to get out of physics bubble, switch to the probe via the map view, the data is now lost on the probe.

Edit : seems that things have gone haywire in that save, I'm getting the "+0.0 science transmission" text popup on probes that have no data and no relay activated.

Unfortunately I'm using a bunch of non-stock parts and a few mods, so I zipped my whole gamedata, along with a log as short as possible and my save just before the burn with the probe :

Gamedata

Log

Save

I also confirm the issue with strategia, the bonuses from the "local science" strategies are out of control. To expand on the context, those are strategy bonus (ranging from 20 to 150 %) applied to science yelds of experiments made in the KSC biomes (level 1) and at kerbin (level 2-3), they are applied upon craft recovery. Doing a bit of testing, I noted that the temperature scan is affected hugely (82.4 science point for a non-bonus yeld of 2.4, should have been 2.9 (+20%)) but the crew report not so much (3.0 science point for a non-bonus yeld of 1.8, should have been 2.2 (+20%)). Transmitting or recovering the data yeld the same results. Note to @ShotgunNinja : you can test this with my gamedata setup as I have strategia (strategies are activated in the administration building).

Edited by Gotmachine