[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

On 10/07/2016 at 1:38 AM, leomike said:

As for my own build, I have a more stable and complete version with additional features and the debug features disabled that I now use for my own game, but I feel somewhat reluctant to post it here without @ShotgunNinja's explicit approval as we now know that Kerbalism was not abandoned.

I obviously can not speak for ShotgunNinja, but the mod is licenced under Unlicence, which is a very specific choice.

While people will often licence using GPL or MIT and think that they are still entitled to decide who can do what with their mods, the choice of Unlicence would indicate to me a conscious decision to let people fix and improve.

And in the end, this is the problem with modding and licences. As many modders don't actually know what licencing actually entails, we end up not being sure of their actual intent. There is of course a difference between legally correct and good manners.

Hello, @ShotgunNinja and @leomike!

I'm still having troubles with tribbles oxygen on Kerbalism.

I recreated a craft (Luna 4) that in the VAB has 23 days of food and 24 days of O2 when crewed with 3 kerbals. Unfortunately, when in space (I noticed the problem when in Mun orbit) the food remains the same, but the O2 gets reduced to 8 days!

The scrubbers are on and are on 50% recycling capacity. I'll add some pictures in a few minutes, but here are the craft file and the save.

Can you help me?

@AlexTheNotSoGreat The name of the nodes can be changed under Kerbalism/Patches/System.cfg.

@nosscire I do agree that Unlicence seems like a conscious choice, but from a moral standpoint I feel like @ShotgunNinja should still have a say; two similar but separate projects would probably not be able to thrive. Merging the two versions would also be an option, but considering the large changes I did to the code and the addition/removal of certain features, I don't believe that would happen. In the end I plan to keep my branch active until KSP 1.2 for my own play-through and will decide afterwards if I want to update it or revert back to the original Kerbalism.

@jlcarneiro The zip file isn't working here but no matter how I do the math this doesn't add up. 5000/1000/0.5 = 10 days which sounds about right for what I experienced with my crafts before. I'm not that familiar with either the monitor or planner.

2 minutes ago, leomike said:

@jlcarneiro The zip file isn't working here but no matter how I do the math this doesn't add up. 5000/1000/0.5 = 10 days which sounds about right for what I experienced with my crafts before. I'm not that familiar with either the monitor or planner.

What math is this? Maybe it's a planner problem, so I'd like to understand what calculations you did...

The craft has 15000 units of O2.

Edited by jlcarneiro

@jlcarneiro I was just trying to match 8 days by changing the number of kerbals (affects consumption rate), crew capacity (affects capacity), scrubber efficiency, but nothing quick gave me 8. In the end I would expect it to be 10 days (unless I'm forgetting something that's the normal for a scrubber at 50% efficiency).

Just now, leomike said:

@jlcarneiro I was just trying to match 8 days by changing the number of kerbals (affects consumption rate), crew capacity (affects capacity), scrubber efficiency, but nothing quick gave me 8. In the end I would expect it to be 10 days (unless I'm forgetting something that's the normal for a scrubber at 50% efficiency).

Ok, but what is the formula? Why did you divide 5000 by 1000 and then by .5?

30 minutes ago, leomike said:

@jlcarneiro 5000 is the capacity per seat, 1000 is the consumption rate per Kerbal per day, 50% is your scrubber efficiency. 

Edit: I did the calculation on a per Kerbal basis assuming all seats are taken.

Ok, then! :)

If these are the numbers, the ship has 15000 units and three kerbals. That would give 5 days. Since I have the scrubbers, that would become 10 days, right? Then, the problem is on the Planner, it is showing 20 and something days... I'll start KSP to get the pictures...

EDIT: Should the scrubbers 50% be applied only once? Maybe the planner is applying it multiple times (50% of 15000, then 50% of 7500, then 50% of 3750, and so on...)

EDIT2: Here are the screenshots:

Edited by jlcarneiro

@leomike, @nosscire Anybody is free to do anything with this mod. Not only the license allow it, but I'm also totally fine with it. Else I would have choosen a more restrictive license. Unfortunately I had zero time to dedicate to this project in the last month. Looking forward I don't know if I will be able to give this the love it deserves. I will probably put this on life support (phun intended): bugfixing, some optimization and porting to newer ksp versions. Derivative works and forks are welcome. :)

New version released: 1.0.3

Changelog:
  - recompiled for KSP 1.1.3
  - interplanetary coronal mass ejections
  - fix: scrubber efficiency reverting to 50%
  - fix: 30 days manned orbit contract not generated again after completion
  - patch to allow Shielding production on Extra Planetary Launchpad, by Enceos  

@ShotgunNinja Good to know and thanks for this amazing mod. I've pulled in the scrubber fix and will look at the other changes later today.

@brusura Not as far as I can see.

Anyone interested can find the latest dll from my branch here. Changes include:

• Scrubber update
    • Fix of the reversions to 50% efficiency (from @ShotgunNinja's fix)
    • Support for co2_ratio, should come in handy for anyone using CarbonDioxide instead of CO2 (eg: realism profile) that wants conservation of mass yet true 50-90% efficiency
    • Upgradable efficiency by a level 3 engineer on EVA
  • Malfunction update
    • Upgradable quality by a level 3 engineer on EVA
  • Wider monitor
    • Allows longer vessel name for people like me :D
  • Various fixes
    • All vessels being marked as resque
    • Issue with vessels without EC capacity

I would recommend still upgrading to 1.0.3 first and then simply replacing the .dll.

Thanks, @leomike!

@ShotgunNinja, I liked your post because of what you said about the license. About the lack of time, that is really a shame... Hope you can deal with all problems RL present us and get back soon!

And, as I've said before, THANKS to you both! :)

EDIT: I don't get it - I thought this update had something to do with O2 and scrubbers efficiency. But the planner still shows 24 days of O2 while when in space the ship has less than half of it... Is the problem in the planner or in the scrubbers?

Is there something I'm missing? :confused:

Edited by jlcarneiro

2 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

@ShotgunNinja, I liked your post because of what you said about the license. About the lack of time, that is really a shame... Hope you can deal with all problems RL present us and get back soon!

And, as I've said before, THANKS to you both! :)

I wish I had the brain to say this myself, didn't knew how to say thx without too many words xD

4 hours ago, leomike said:

Support for co2_ratio, should come in handy for anyone using CarbonDioxide instead of CO2 (eg: realism profile) that wants conservation of mass yet true 50-90% efficiency

I tried 2 days ago using the realism profile, it broke my game, on launch pad I would get a black screen with navball and some of other stuffs, but I couldn't see anything, trying to revert or recover result on my save game without planets and every ship NaN, alt+F4 did the same. Fixed restoring savegame backup and reinstalling kerbalism.

So I thought to myself why not mix the default with realism to get it working, and it did, the result is weird, I could swear my kerbals are not using food at all but I'm really having a hard time trying to understand how it actually works (don't know jackss about coding, so basically I was poking around).

Here's the pastebin of the config file http://pastebin.com/PLvRV0RP

Also right now after watching it on pastebin... well I find it easier to understand than notepad.

Another thing I've noticed is that the EC consumption on background is not working, if I go to the space station leaving a satellite completely dark, but with some battery charge the satellite will still function like... forever, as long as I don't go near the satellite or control it

Edited by Kerbos
Fixed :D

@brusura I got some optimizations coming in next version. I had a quick look at some of leomike changes and there is interesting stuff there for sure, but also most changes are widespread and he changed the formatting style and naming conventions too. If they were in form of github pull requests and atomic it would have been easier to evaluate and eventually integrate them.

@Kerbos I don't see any of the problems you report. Please try if the problems are present in the official DLL and let me know.