[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

5 hours ago, BashGordon33 said:

Thank you so much that really worked well

You'd probably not want to use the Scrubber module for the water however. You would want to use the Recycle module. The difference is that the Scrubber will refill your resource when you are within atmosphere.

They work almost the same with 3 differences:

1. You use "waste_rate" instead of "co2_rate"
2. You have to set a "display_name" for what the button should say
3. You can also use a filter resource in order to turn 2 resources into 1.

See here for more details:
https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/wiki/Modules

Regarding the "Put a Kerbal in Orbit for 30 days" contract:  I'm guessing this contract is not supposed to keep coming back forever?  I already completed it once and it respawned a while later and doesn't seem to want to go away now.  Declining it now just respawns it under a different company name.

7 hours ago, nosscire said:

You'd probably not want to use the Scrubber module for the water however. You would want to use the Recycle module. The difference is that the Scrubber will refill your resource when you are within atmosphere.

They work almost the same with 3 differences:

1. You use "waste_rate" instead of "co2_rate"
2. You have to set a "display_name" for what the button should say
3. You can also use a filter resource in order to turn 2 resources into 1.

See here for more details:
https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/wiki/Modules

I want the progression between 50% to 90% which the scrubbers have. And even if my water resource is reclaimed in a breathable atmosphere, the only 2 planets that have a breathable atmosphere also have water, so it is kind of ok

Hi, 

awesome mod. Having a spacestation now actually requires you to do something other than build :D

1: Are there any contract packs that go well with the mod? "fix this part that is broken", "crew is stressed, rotate them around" etc.

2: How can i identify which part is broken? My station has a lot of parts and atleast one is broken. I am not sure where to send my engineer

3: I have a mission underway to Duna, which has lost it's signal. Kerbin and Duna are not blocked by the sun. I have advanced electrics and a Communitron 8 on the vessel. Tooltip says it covers the entire solar system. What could be wrong?

@Kebra

1. No contract pack that I know of.

2. The part should be highlighted. You can turn this on/off for the vessel in the monitor.

3. You can right click an antenna to see it's range once it's placed (VAB or in flight). I believe the communitron 8 covers the Kerbin system (when all the appropriate nodes are unlocked, base barely makes it to the Mun).

4 hours ago, Kebra said:

Hi, 

awesome mod. Having a spacestation now actually requires you to do something other than build :D

1: Are there any contract packs that go well with the mod? "fix this part that is broken", "crew is stressed, rotate them around" etc.

2: How can i identify which part is broken? My station has a lot of parts and atleast one is broken. I am not sure where to send my engineer

3: I have a mission underway to Duna, which has lost it's signal. Kerbin and Duna are not blocked by the sun. I have advanced electrics and a Communitron 8 on the vessel. Tooltip says it covers the entire solar system. What could be wrong?

I would highly recommend 'Contract Pack: Bases and Stations'

It gives you among other things, contracts to;

• Build bases and stations
  • upgrade bases and stations
  • send crew to uncrewed stations
  • rotate crew on crewed stations
  • vist stations to perform science
  • you get 'malfunctions' that require you to send a 'Payload Specalist' to repair
  • medical emergencies to bring a specific crew member home

I really do love it. I also use Tourism Plus contract back which twinned with bases anbd stations gives so so much to do.

On 6/20/2016 at 6:51 AM, leomike said:

@animanatole I don't know off the top of my head what tech nodes are changed by the mod but these wouldn't be a bug.

@BashGordon33 That's in the dll. Alternatively you can use a scrubber instead of a recycler but that means it won't use filtration material and you will have unlimited water in atmosphere (condensation?).

@Razorfang Last I checked it is not and there was no short term plan to add support, simply too many modules.

@Zeroroller It is possible, change the shielding definition to transfer = PUMP, it is under GameData/Kerbalism (not sure what file exactly). To be able to generate from ore, look a few pages back in the thread.

Thanks! I'm still looking for that file at the moment, and could not find the comment in this thread about the ISRU; but i really do appreciate you taking the time out to get back to all of us so quick...and also awesome mod BTW!

@Zeroroller Kerbalism/Patches/System.cfg, scroll to the very end and change transfer = NONE to transfer = PUMP. For setting up the ISRU to generate shielding, see here.

Edit: Also just to make it clear, although I have been very active in the forum and have recompiled the mod for 1.1.3, this was created by @ShotgunNinja and remains, at least for the time being, his/her (just being polite here, there's female Ninjas too) project. But I do agree, awesome mod.

Edited by leomike

@leomike did you change the lines i stated in the github issues post (i'm de-odex, hi) or was this just recompiled? because i dont understand why a simple recompile was needed to fix this, since if nothing was changed then that would mean that the function was overloaded and wouldnt need a recompile to fix

@aEverr An optional parameter was added for "postMessage". I'm not very familiar with C#, but I'm guessing that the change messed up the references. Let me know if you encounter the same issue with the 1.1.3 recompile.

Edited by leomike

Finally had time to look at the background processing tonight; back-end is in place but it will take a bit of time to replace all the old code to use this instead (especially the rules). Should be able to look at this tomorrow as it is a public holiday.

I've noticed the depletion timers seem to take a absurd amount of time. I'm hesitating between completely removing this (which would remove the "time until depleted" in the monitor) or updating once per Kerbin day (this means they could be unreliable if there was a change in crew/vessel for up to two days, but would improve performance and also resolve the issue with discrete resource consumption). Any feedback on this?

Signal update was also "optimized". Since it was at a theorical minimum, I simply changed it to update every 10 frames instead of every frame. If ever this causes noticable lag every 1/2-1/3 of a second, I can change it to update 1/10th of the vessels every frame (now that the idea crossed my mind... I might just do that tomorrow).

@dboi88 Thanks for your save game, much better than my old method of dropping 4 crew capsules on the runway.

4 hours ago, leomike said:

Finally had time to look at the background processing tonight; back-end is in place but it will take a bit of time to replace all the old code to use this instead (especially the rules). Should be able to look at this tomorrow as it is a public holiday.

I've noticed the depletion timers seem to take a absurd amount of time. I'm hesitating between completely removing this (which would remove the "time until depleted" in the monitor) or updating once per Kerbin day (this means they could be unreliable if there was a change in crew/vessel for up to two days, but would improve performance and also resolve the issue with discrete resource consumption). Any feedback on this?

Signal update was also "optimized". Since it was at a theorical minimum, I simply changed it to update every 10 frames instead of every frame. If ever this causes noticable lag every 1/2-1/3 of a second, I can change it to update 1/10th of the vessels every frame (now that the idea crossed my mind... I might just do that tomorrow).

@dboi88 Thanks for your save game, much better than my old method of dropping 4 crew capsules on the runway.

No problem. Those test crafts are fun to launch.

To get around the the planner issues could you also call the update for depletion timers at onActiveJointNeedUpdate?

@dboi88 I'd also need to capture EVA, separation and recycler being turned off. Alternatively I could only call this on mouse over in the monitor, which may be the simplest option.

In addition the approach that is currently taken is to calculate the delta of the resource over one tick and apply the rule on top of that. This doesn't work for discrete resource consumption as the delta shows resource going up after consumption until the waste resource is depleted, the it becomes flat. One approach might be to copy what is done on the planner, but that has issues if waste resources are present (which in the VAB is not an issue).

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 6:41 AM, RattiRatto said:

I'll test it later today. Just browsing quickly in the file, what's going on with the scrubber and CO2? Isn't that quite high?

I know this is a bit belated, but thanks for at least looking over the config. I really didn't intend for this to be some kind of project. Just a config file where I did the basic ground work for others to use. As for any strange or unusual values with the scrubber and co2, it was probably me testing some things and I forgot to revert the values back to basic Realism numbers. I did however update the config and put things back to more sensible values (Even if slightly wrong).

Still having a tough time decided on how to handle the air filter and water filter (Newly added) parts from KPBS. These are intended to be industrial sized units that can comfortably support 5 or 6 kerbals with ease regardless of orbit or planet side deployment.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

https://github.com/Skaxly01/Kerbalism_KPBS

Too bad that it seems SN and kerbalism is just a one-hit-wonder. Can't get famous by disappearing. Or can we?

Edited by DarkonZ

For those interested, I have compiled a new version of Kerbalism.dll that should fix the EC issue at high timewarp. Changes include:

• Optimized signal
    • Updates every 10 frames instead of every frame
  • Fixed EC usage at high timewarp
    • This only applies to unloaded vessels unfortunately
    • Some approximation were made in certain cases, hedge cases are possible where converters would create a small amount of resources out of thin air (random losses should not occur)
    • Performance improvement was not as good as expected, querying the available resource/capacity of a vessel from KSP is the bottleneck
      • If anyone has a solution for this please let me know, only thing I can think of right now is to pull everything out of KSP's hands
  • Improved malfunction system
    • Inspect will now be more accurate as it is based on the actual malfunction time rather than the average (i.e.: no more "everything looks good" for the part to fail 2 minutes later)
    • Optimized the background simulation, malfunction time instead of current age is now stored possibly allowing to skip some frames in the future
    • Engine malfunctions now affect maximum thrust as well as heating
    • Converter malfunctions now affect inputs as well as outputs (no more resource losses from a malfunction, just a slower overall rate)
  • Profiler was added to various functions (access with Ctrl+P - will only be present in the debug builds)

This is a debug built meant for testing purpose only, you can download it here! Overall performance appear to have improved slightly but not as much as I had hoped. If you are looking for a 1.1.3 stable build, refer to this post instead.

I have the most recent version of ksp, downloaded planetary base sysetm again today, kerbalism, mod manager, and c reseource pack. however it isnt allowing me to see the oxygen, food, or anyother level for my ships. Any help appreciated

A new day, a new test build. Here are the changes:

• Fixed EC usage in the background
    • In my previous release if EC reached 0 the background processing would sometimes turn off until the vessel was reloaded
  • Caching class rewritten
    • No longer gets fully reset on each tick
    • Now stores available resource and capacity to avoid the previous query lag
  • Optimized background resource handling
    • Similar approach to the signal was implemented where vessels are updated every 20 ticks for timewarp <= 50x improving performance for this by ~80% in my testing

Once again this is a test build and may contain major bugs (see first change above - link to a "stable" build available a few posts up). If anyone has time to do some testing, please let me know if you encounter any issues, download is available here. Next step would be to optimize the rule application.