Does anyone else do this? KB remap

chris206

On every new install of kerbal, I always go into the input menu and swap the yaw (q,e) with roll (a,d) and vice versa.

I suppose its mainly because its mainly a rocket game vs a flying sim.

but ALL my planes have rockets lol.

Only things I remap ASAP is the rover controls to IJKL.
As a result of this remap any Kerbal in a command seat will have its helmel light toggled each time you turn right so I remap that to the default light key .

35 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Only things I remap ASAP is the rover controls to IJKL.
As a result of this remap any Kerbal in a command seat will have its helmel light toggled each time you turn right so I remap that to the default light key .

I should remap that. The only thing I remap currently is swapping I and K (inverted pitch for translation makes no sense). On my Macbook Pro I also remap precise controls to   ~ or Tab as Capslock doesn't work.

I switch the rover controls to numpad / and * for steering, and + / - for gas/brake.

That allows for independent emergency gyro assist and RCS boosting without any key overlaps.  The + key is also located conveniently close to the top edge, making it easy to balance heavy things on it without blocking access to important keys.

(Yes, my rovers have a brick on the gas pedal for long trips.)

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I find the default bindings more intuitive, especially for rockets.

Personally, I keep accidentally trying to fly aircraft in other games using Q and E for roll. This ended quite badly in Planetside 2, as E is the default keybinding for "exit vehicle." :P

Mistakes were made.

I generally keep my keybinds stock, except that I usually add "stop timewarp" to "X" (not replacing "/", nor replacing the chop throttle), and I remap staging to tab.

I might do some minor remapping for docking mode (which seems to be mostly working again, but is using slightly different keybinds than what EVA kerbals use for some reason) in the near future..maybe.

I remap/mirror 2468 for WASD with 1,3 for roll.

I also mirror throttle up/down to Enter/'0' on the number pad.

EVA up/down is also Enter/'0'.

SAS toggle "F" is mirrored #5.

I'm mostly ambidextrous and it's easier to use the other hand on the far side of the keyboard instead of reaching over/between my other fingers to do things.

Edited by Mahnarch
wrong key

The 0 - 9 Action Keys I switch to the Number Pad. I find those numbers a quick reach with my right hand.

Caps Lock = Throttle Up. Left Shift = Throttle Down. Left Ctrl = Normal/Fine RCS Thrust Toggle. 

In EVA movement I also use Caps Lock to Run or Up when using the Rocket Pack and Left Shift for Rocket Pack Down.  

On 5/10/2016 at 1:59 PM, 5thHorseman said:

KSP is one of the few games where I remap NONE of the keys and change NONE of the default control schemes.

DEAR GOD! I clicked on the picture in your signature to zoom in but it took me to your video instead. YOU MADE AN ASTEROID A PLANE...

On 5/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, suicidejunkie said:

I switch the rover controls to numpad / and * for steering, and + / - for gas/brake.

That allows for independent emergency gyro assist and RCS boosting without any key overlaps.  The + key is also located conveniently close to the top edge, making it easy to balance heavy things on it without blocking access to important keys.

(Yes, my rovers have a brick on the gas pedal for long trips.)

Lol, I do something similar, but I have a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS, so I can remap the throttle to... well the throttle so it stays on without the need for a brick, and it has an analog on the back so I map steering to that and don't even have to touch the flight stick when driving a rover.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fim9.cz%2FiR%2Fimportprod

Edited by Alshain

I've remapped a few keys, because the defaults don't fully work on linux and a qwertz keyboard. For example switching vessel is now on o and p, showing the navball on -.

I also remap the thrust keys, because I need shift to tab out and into the game, without accelerating :D

15 hours ago, Alshain said:

Lol, I do something similar, but I have a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS, so I can remap the throttle to... well the throttle so it stays on without the need for a brick, and it has an analog on the back so I map steering to that and don't even have to touch the flight stick when driving a rover.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fim9.cz%2FiR%2Fimportprod

I used to use the (very) old Saitek X-36 HOTAS setup. But it took too much space on my desk when only used for special tasks (not to mention the pain of battling the setup).

Can't fly an aircraft without it, but since I don't fly aircrafts in KSP it's not an issue for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.