Future Updates

polimerjones

I was wondering if there has been any announcements of future plans that I missed? Before the latest update I though they were talking new parts, a new satellite system and multiplayer. I stopped playing for a bit hoping to find a new game experience after 400 hours (Which is not much to others on here but still alot) to find that the year long update didn't do anything.

19 minutes ago, polimerjones said:

I was wondering if there has been any announcements of future plans that I missed? Before the latest update I though they were talking new parts, a new satellite system and multiplayer. I stopped playing for a bit hoping to find a new game experience after 400 hours (Which is not much to others on here but still alot) to find that the year long update didn't do anything.

Patience.

Edited by CodeFantastic

They haven't said anything definite about the next update, but I'm guessing we'll hear something in the next few weeks.

The things that have been discussed so far are the rocket part overhaul and the satellite relay system. Several dev notes have mentioned PorkJet already working on the parts overhaul. I'm hoping this means both new models/textures, and a rebalance of mass, cost, and maybe tech tree position.

The relay system was supposed to be in 1.1, but, as far as I understand, in depth testing of the system required a stable base, which clearly didn't exist. So real Q&A testing of the relay system would have had to wait until everything else was done (basically until the game was at the point it's at now), which would have meant more delays.

The only other thing I'm expecting to be in 1.2 is Unity 5.4. It's in beta now and is supposed to released in June, so it makes sense that they would upgrade to that. Supposedly, many of the wheel and landing gear issues are the result of Unity bugs, and Unity 5.3 has other issues, so until 5.4 is out we're stuck with work-arounds likes we have now.

24 minutes ago, DMagic said:

They haven't said anything definite about the next update, but I'm guessing we'll hear something in the next few weeks.

The things that have been discussed so far are the rocket part overhaul and the satellite relay system. Several dev notes have mentioned PorkJet already working on the parts overhaul. I'm hoping this means both new models/textures, and a rebalance of mass, cost, and maybe tech tree position.

The relay system was supposed to be in 1.1, but, as far as I understand, in depth testing of the system required a stable base, which clearly didn't exist. So real Q&A testing of the relay system would have had to wait until everything else was done (basically until the game was at the point it's at now), which would have meant more delays.

The only other thing I'm expecting to be in 1.2 is Unity 5.4. It's in beta now and is supposed to released in June, so it makes sense that they would upgrade to that. Supposedly, many of the wheel and landing gear issues are the result of Unity bugs, and Unity 5.3 has other issues, so until 5.4 is out we're stuck with work-arounds likes we have now.

Cool Thanks!

On 4/26/2016 at 6:53 PM, SQUAD said:

we are taking sometime to make some VR tests.

They kind of hinted a little bit in the last devnotes that they wanted to start experimenting with VR, but I haven't seen any more information about it than that little snippet.

6 hours ago, polimerjones said:

I stopped playing for a bit hoping to find a new game experience after 400 hours (Which is not much to others on here but still alot) to find that the year long update didn't do anything.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this lie. 

"didn't do anything"!?

1.1 did a lot. It updated the engine that the game runs in. It put in tons of bug fixes and performance improvements. It overhauled the entire UI. It completely re-did how wheels work. It added a few new features. It added a 64-bit version for Windows and Mac. And some other things I'm probably forgetting. 

Yes, it's got some bugs, but give it a few more weeks and I'm confident that we'll get a version that is rock steady. 

6 hours ago, regex said:

All of that above, plus some mentions of graphical updates, PBR and such.

I know it's the beer of choice for hipsters around here, but really, I expected more of Squad. :wink:

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

They kind of hinted a little bit in the last devnotes that they wanted to start experimenting with VR, but I haven't seen any more information about it than that little snippet.

I not against VR, but I don't really see KSP benefiting from it as anything more than a gimmick.  I'd much rather they spend their effort on more important features.

37 minutes ago, Brofessional said:

I not against VR, but I don't really see KSP benefiting from it as anything more than a gimmick.  I'd much rather they spend their effort on more important features.

True, but since the selection of mods is so extensive, I'm not too picky about what SQUAD decides to work on. With 64-bit, the only problem with my loading times is my old computer which, should I choose to upgrade it, would run much faster. I'm excited for the satellite overhaul and everything else, but as far as stock goes I'm mostly along for the ride. VR is the one thing that would significantly change my playing experience, as I would get to feel like I'm piloting my ships in person, actually watch the worlds go by out the window, etc. I understand that everyone wants different things from the game, but I personally can pretty much get everything I want from KSP as it is now.