SM Chute NOW OBSOLETE USE THE NEW VNG

Two small requests:

1. I like the altitude limiter. I was wondering, can you also look into keying deployment of current Kerbal to spacebar, and keying deployment of all chutes within physics distance to backspace (to enable mass deployment)? If not logical, then how about shift+spacebar and shift+backspace?

2. This may be a KIS limitation, but can you make this mod compatible with TextureReplacer Kerbals (ie, Kerbals without spacesuits)? 

rkEC1xG.jpg

2O4zKRL.jpg

TH119Dx.jpg

Edited by inigma

7 hours ago, inigma said:

Two small requests:

1. I like the altitude limiter. I was wondering, can you also look into keying deployment of current Kerbal to spacebar, and keying deployment of all chutes within physics distance to backspace (to enable mass deployment)? If not logical, then how about shift+spacebar and shift+backspace?

2. This may be a KIS limitation, but can you make this mod compatible with TextureReplacer Kerbals (ie, Kerbals without spacesuits)? 

Hi, there are issues with deployment that I've been unable to crack, I've had some coms with Squad about this as well so it's not just me.

That said I've been working on an updated version of VNG, I'll call it VNG light as it's been stripped back to just the chute parts, the aim is to roll this mod and the vng plugin into one chute mod. I have it working great but at present i can't find a way to have multiple chutes as an option, the original has a hard coded path to the chute (problem here is that i'm a complete plugin noob)  , and the chutes are very different in the way the model is used and set up in unity. At present it's using the round chute from this mod. (pm me if you'd like to have a test copy)

Not even thought about stuff like texture replacer, I do like the the Jump suits and anything to make EVA more interesting, so unless it does turn out to be a KIS limitation I'll have a go at making it all play nice together

First of all, awesome mod!

I had some issues with the chute GUI not showing up after equipping the chute and jumping out of the plane. Kinda bad timing right?

The chute didnt highlight when hovering over it and therefore no GUI came up when I clicked it.

Is there an autodeploy mechanic so I dont have to deploy it using the GUI?

You may want to change the SpaceDock link you use in the first post. You are linking directly to the Version 0.1 Download.

Its probably best to link it to the general spacedock page

http://spacedock.info/mod/702/%20SM%20%20CHUTE

I am not the only one that would LOOOOVE to be able to steer the green chute right? :D

Again, awesome mod. If the other EVA Chutes mod will get updated to 1.1.2 I wont even care, this one is way better!

- Mil o/

I'm dragging these chutes to the cockpit seat inventory and it.. won't go into the slot.  Using KIS of course (or there would be no inventory slots).. what am I doing wrong?  Other KIS parts can be dropped in there no problem.

On 29/05/2016 at 2:52 AM, million_lights said:

stuff

Hi the gui not showing up is annoying I know, sadly this is partly due to the way KIS uses and activates colliders. I advise at this point activating the gui before your Kerbal lets go of the ladder, I know this is not ideal and am constantly testing and trying new ways to get this  all to play nice. But as you can see this has not been as successful as I'd have liked. Thanks for the heads up on the links, I'd forgotten all about them.

As for steering the green chute, I've been trying various modules and cfg's in combination in an attempt to enable some steering, sadly several of the modules that are needed to make it all work simply refuse to work or worse end up with terminal shakes, bouncing, and something that I've not seen since modding Gary's mod, horrible animation spazzing of the poor kerbal finally resulting in the poor fella exploding. The modules that will not work or produce undesirable effects  are, module lifting surface, module rcs, reaction wheels and ASAS. Without these or something similar we're stuffed.  And finally thanks for using the mod and the feedback.

On 29/05/2016 at 10:23 AM, ss8913 said:

I'm dragging these chutes to the cockpit seat inventory and it.. won't go into the slot.  Using KIS of course (or there would be no inventory slots).. what am I doing wrong?  Other KIS parts can be dropped in there no problem.

Hi I'll have a look and see if there's anything that would cause this problem, I know a new KIS has been released and that may have changed something. As for the procedure  for putting the chute in the inventory from your description there seems to be nothing you are doing wrong.

9 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi the gui not showing up is annoying I know, sadly this is partly due to the way KIS uses and activates colliders. I advise at this point activating the gui before your Kerbal lets go of the ladder, I know this is not ideal and am constantly testing and trying new ways to get this  all to play nice. But as you can see this has not been as successful as I'd have liked. Thanks for the heads up on the links, I'd forgotten all about them.

As for steering the green chute, I've been trying various modules and cfg's in combination in an attempt to enable some steering, sadly several of the modules that are needed to make it all work simply refuse to work or worse end up with terminal shakes, bouncing, and something that I've not seen since modding Gary's mod, horrible animation spazzing of the poor kerbal finally resulting in the poor fella exploding. The modules that will not work or produce undesirable effects  are, module lifting surface, module rcs, reaction wheels and ASAS. Without these or something similar we're stuffed.  And finally thanks for using the mod and the feedback.

Hi I'll have a look and see if there's anything that would cause this problem, I know a new KIS has been released and that may have changed something. As for the procedure  for putting the chute in the inventory from your description there seems to be nothing you are doing wrong.

aaand I just realized you said these won't work with FAR.  I kind of want to try anyway, and I think the inventory issue would be separate(?) but... the old EVA parachutes mod *did* work with FAR so I'm curious as to why this one *wouldn't* unless something weird and strange happened in 1.1.x?

9 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

aaand I just realized you said these won't work with FAR.  I kind of want to try anyway, and I think the inventory issue would be separate(?) but... the old EVA parachutes mod *did* work with FAR so I'm curious as to why this one *wouldn't* unless something weird and strange happened in 1.1.x?

Hi while i appreciate your enthusiasm feel free to kill a kerb or ten in that fruitless pursuit, the FAR module is one of those (it's not alone0  that either refuses to play with KIS or EVA, as FAR removes the parachute module and replaces it with it's own version and also turns off the stock drag completely you just simply plummet to your doom. And it's no good trying to sidestep it with a MM cfg as you can't sidestep the turning off of the drag cubes  Also as a matter of interest the VNGlight I have been working on will not work with FAR either due to the removal of drag, and as it uses it's own parachute module that derives nothing from the stock one the chutes are pretty much ornamental. All that said if you do manage to work out whats going on and how to fix it I'd be very interested indeed.

On 5/30/2016 at 2:35 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi while i appreciate your enthusiasm feel free to kill a kerb or ten in that fruitless pursuit, the FAR module is one of those (it's not alone0  that either refuses to play with KIS or EVA, as FAR removes the parachute module and replaces it with it's own version and also turns off the stock drag completely you just simply plummet to your doom. And it's no good trying to sidestep it with a MM cfg as you can't sidestep the turning off of the drag cubes  Also as a matter of interest the VNGlight I have been working on will not work with FAR either due to the removal of drag, and as it uses it's own parachute module that derives nothing from the stock one the chutes are pretty much ornamental. All that said if you do manage to work out whats going on and how to fix it I'd be very interested indeed.

well the old kerbal chute mod that I was using in 1.0.x worked with FAR... it hadn't been updated in a really long time either.  No idea how they did it but perhaps the source is on github or something?  Ah, no it's not.. but they were using the Vanguard plugin, so it seems that they wrote some custom stuff to make it work.  Also the stock chutes work, so i'm not exactly sure how those are tying into the FAR drag model, but they do.

27 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

well the old kerbal chute mod that I was using in 1.0.x worked with FAR... it hadn't been updated in a really long time either.  No idea how they did it but perhaps the source is on github or something?  Ah, no it's not.. but they were using the Vanguard plugin, so it seems that they wrote some custom stuff to make it work.  Also the stock chutes work, so i'm not exactly sure how those are tying into the FAR drag model, but they do.

FAR disables the stock drag cubes and replaces it with it's own drag simulation, FAR also removes stock parachute modules and replaces them with FAR's version of RealChute, with me so far?  SO any chute using stock modules in a FAR environment becomes a FAR realchute via a MM cfg

There is no difference  either in construction or cfg  between these chutes and stock chutes aside from how they are used

If you take a stock parachute Kerbalise it (scale and add KIS module)  and attach it to a kerbal in a stock game environment the parachute will function as normal. aside from the deployment issues that it inherits as a result of being attached to a Kerbal EVA, so exactly as mine do.

Now take that same kerbalised chute into a FAR enables environment, attach it to a Kerbal on EVA and guess what it doesn' t work, just like the chutes in this mod. 

Now instead of putting either one of my chutes or a kerbalised chute on a kerbal EVA surface mount it on a craft, (there are pics further up to back this up+. And the chute works flawlessly, all activation's and behaviors are as would be obtained from  a stock chute, the FAR implementation has no detrimental effects.

This clearly shows that the issues are not with FAR, not with KIS, and not with this mod, the issue is the modules interaction or lack of it when applied to a kerbal EVA and Squad are aware that this is happening, their interest in this leads me to believe that this issue is not how it's supposed to be.

Also if you check the posts immediately above yours you will see I refer to the fact that I do have the VNG source. I do have a version of VNG that works in 1.1.2 and is stable enough for release BUT because FAR disables the stock drag which is what the vng uses, while not using any of the stock chute modules you run into the same issue, Even when configured for FAR because the modules will not work in EVA the chute acts like a rock.

Forgive if i sound a bit harsh but I spent at least 40 hours chasing this issue around and around, and  discussed it with many others including ferram4 so  If there's some test I've missed or some magic fix I be pleased to carry it out or apply it

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Love this mod!

Was worried it was going to be a bit fiddly compared to the old vanguard ones but it's actually loads better frantically trying to grab jebs parachute before he hits the deck.

Keep up the good work :)

fair enough, @SpannerMonkey(smce) - seems Squad changed .. something, then, for 1.1.x (or likely the old vanguard mod would still work as well).  I know they've got wheel fixing to do as well, so hopefully they can address this interaction in 1.1.3(?) whenever that is.

On 01/06/2016 at 11:35 PM, Squeaky said:

Love this mod!

Was worried it was going to be a bit fiddly compared to the old vanguard ones but it's actually loads better frantically trying to grab jebs parachute before he hits the deck.

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it, just finalising little update to make the chute packs less blocky and a new modern style chute.

On 02/06/2016 at 0:08 AM, ss8913 said:

fair enough, @SpannerMonkey(smce) - seems Squad changed .. something, then, for 1.1.x (or likely the old vanguard mod would still work as well).  I know they've got wheel fixing to do as well, so hopefully they can address this interaction in 1.1.3(?) whenever that is.

We can but hope. Testing still continues..

UPDATE v0.2.2 RealChute Compatible

UPDATE v0.2.2  Brings you  RealChute Compatibility , new chute packs (still wip) and two new chutes, another modern wing canopy and the Krakens Eye dome chute.( the art dept had been smoking something herbal i think)

Note I have left the two original chutes in the mod just in case you have kerbals active on flights with the chutes in their inventory, please endeavor to remove all the original, square pack chutes, as unless requested otherwise I will be removing them next update

Other notes, it seems as though wing shape has  much to do with being able to steer the chutes , The blue and white canopy new chute seems to be more maneuverable (using rcs) than any of the others, i need extra tests and second opinions though, the only difference is the cross section of the canopy, being quite a bit slimmer than the first wingchute

" ( the art dept had been smoking something herbal i think) "

If a kerbal does 'herbal', would that be considered to be  a cannibal doing cannabis? 

As the smoke clears, pondering starts ...

oh my.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...