250 tonnes to 400 kms?

I've been designing a space station (among other things) and I need to get 250t to a 400x400 km orbit around Kerbin. I was wondering if anyone has any rockets that can do this please? Low part count would be great if possible...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Benji13

Just now, Benji13 said:

I've been designing a space station (among other things) and I need to get 25t to a 400x400 km orbit around Kerbin. I was wondering if anyone has any rockets that can do this please? Low part count would be great if possible...

Thanks in advance!

That's quite a low tonnage, have you tired to make one yet? You may be surprised how easy it is. Give it a go! And if you fail, you will learn from it and become a better builder in the process, I cannot recommend doing it yourself enough man.

2 hours ago, Benji13 said:

I've been designing a space station (among other things) and I need to get 25t to a 400x400 km orbit around Kerbin. I was wondering if anyone has any rockets that can do this please? Low part count would be great if possible...

Thanks in advance!

Did you mean 250 tons? 25 should be straightforward unless its extremely bulky. Any specific problems?

I put a station into orbit around Mun that was about 25ish tons last night just using a booster cobbled together out of the usual assortment of tanks+engines, no particular difficulty involved at all. Was quite a compact station module though.

9 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Did you mean 250 tons? 25 should be straightforward unless its extremely bulky. Any specific problems?

I put a station into orbit around Mun that was about 25ish tons last night just using a booster cobbled together out of the usual assortment of tanks+engines, no particular difficulty involved at all. Was quite a compact station module though.

Your right sorry. I meant 250 tonnes.

You will need a heavy duty launcher for this... Experiment!

I have built vertical launch spaceplane/rocket hybrids that can easily bring 300 tons into orbit, back in 0.90, Perhaps I should rebuild them.. hmm

I'd recommend building a large rocket core, and strapping two or more of it around the station. I had a diagram somewhere of this, but I can't seem to find it. Either way, if you make the cores big enough and have enough of them, you have limitless ability 

@Benji13

mmh - can your payload fit within one of the stock fairings diameter wise ?

if yes, then it's feasible to use a premade launcher :) if your payload cannot fit within a fairing, then it'll need a custom built launcher to take into account it's aerodynamics :)

if your payload can fit within a stock fairing (maximum diameter avaible with the 3,75m fairing), i can update my Chaos Star 500 for 1.1 (and reupload it) :) it's able to carry 500 tons to a 80x80 orbit, so it'll have no problem to bring a 250ton payload to a 400x400 :) (i have two other version capable of launching 1200 and 1500 tons, but those would be wayyy overkill ^^)

part count - 278 without payload.

Edited by sgt_flyer

4 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

@Benji13

mmh - can your payload fit within one of the stock fairings diameter wise ?

if yes, then it's feasible to use a premade launcher :) if your payload cannot fit within a fairing, then it'll need a custom built launcher to take into account it's aerodynamics :)

if your payload can fit within a stock fairing (maximum diameter avaible with the 3,75m fairing), i can update my Chaos Star 500 for 1.1 (and reupload it) :) it's able to carry 500 tons to a 80x80 orbit, so it'll have no problem to bring a 250ton payload to a 400x400 :) (i have two other version capable of launching 1200 and 1500 tons, but those would be wayyy overkill ^^)

part count - 278 without payload.

Thanks! I should be able to make something that works from your pics. 

8 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

That's a huuuuuge fairing! I don't use 'em a whole lot cause they're heavy. Now I'm doing a lot of KPBS based stuff, don't use them much  - KPBS FTW

heh :) that's the shortest fairing of the chaos star series ^^'  the other ones have the same fairing diameter, but are longer with moar boosters :wink: i built these series trying to maximise tons per part (though, there's a good chunk of the partcount coming from the array of struts designed to even the load across the rocket)

the series was created to allow to put huge fuel depots or huge drive pods for motherships in orbit in a single launch :wink: 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.