The White Guardian

[1.3.1][Kopernicus] Stock Planet Expansion

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Update: Klan has been created. Some last bug fixes on the moons are now being done. I aim to get an update out TODAY. :D

I have an SSTO I was going to send to Grillian on standby. I may send it to one of the new worlds instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry folks, I'm not gonna get it done tonight. It's 12 AM here, so I did all I could for today. I'll continue in a few days, I got some studying to do.

1 hour ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Would this be compatible with @_Augustus_ ' "Realistic Rescale" mod?

I can't be 100% certain because I haven't tried it myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. I'll check it out to be certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The update is here at long, long last. Enjoy, Kerbals! :D

I nearly forgot to post the changelog.

Version V2.0 [For KSP 1.3.0 and 1.3.1]
- Updated to Kerbal Space Program versions 1.3.0 and 1.3.1
- Slight Grillian and Froth overhaul (though the moons have kept their original style)
- Completely redid Driea, Trao, Smov, Prolla, Dres-1 and Dres-2
- Added a new moon named Klan
- Some under-the-hood changes to reduce lag
- Made the moons much more colorful and diverse
- Terrain texture rework
- Removed some hidden space tacos

Planned features for the next update:

- Biomes & science defenitions
- EVE support
- Scatterer support
- Second terrain overhaul

 

Edited by The White Guardian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, was trying out this planet pack, with OPM, but the OPM patch does not appear to be working. All the moons load, but Froth is still around Eeloo. Tested it on a fresh install with no mods apart from OPM and its dependencies.

Changing the 1st line of patch to "@Kopernicus:NEEDS[OPM,!GalacticNeighborhood]:AFTER[StockPlanetExpansion]" fixed it for me (it was @Kopernicus:NEEDS[OPM,!GalacticNeighborhood]:AFTER[OPM]).

 

Edited by psamathe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, psamathe said:

Hi, was trying out this planet pack, with OPM, but the OPM patch does not appear to be working. All the moons load, but Froth is still around Eeloo. Tested it on a fresh install with no mods apart from OPM and its dependencies.

Changing the 1st line of patch to "@Kopernicus:NEEDS[OPM,!GalacticNeighborhood]:AFTER[StockPlanetExpansion]" fixed it for me (it was @Kopernicus:NEEDS[OPM,!GalacticNeighborhood]:AFTER[OPM]).

 

Thank you! I'll release a hotfix this afternoon. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While waiting for the hotfix..... I don't mean this the way it will most likely sound but why is the download for 9 moons about 2/3 the size of OPM? Are there multiple resolution choices included?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

While waiting for the hotfix..... I don't mean this the way it will most likely sound but why is the download for 9 moons about 2/3 the size of OPM? Are there multiple resolution choices included?

...no actually. Glad you pointed that out, I'll do some digging into what is eating so much memory so I can optimize it. Thank you!

Hotfix released, with lots of thanks to @psamathe.

@Red Shirt I'll now start analyzing the memory distribution for SPE versus OPM to see what is using so much memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memory search conclusion:

		SPE		OPM
Total size	138 MB		231 MB
Terrain tex	15.5 MB		21.3 MB
Planet maps	122 MB		204 MB

I have the following hypothesis.

Looking at the texture save mode, I see that @Galileo made sure to save everything as DDS, whereas SPE also uses PNG for some maps, leading to larger sizes because the textures are uncompressed.

I'll fix this with update V3.0, it should reduce the size by about 66%.

Edited by The White Guardian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

I'll fix this with update V3.0, it should reduce the size by about 66%.

Those of us who have to carefully weigh each download and budget accordingly, thank you! By the way, I'm still using OPM 2.1. It's download zip size was 122 mb, hence my question. I'll probably wait for V3.0 but definitely am looking forward to adding this mod to my own private universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like there's a great missed opportunity to name Ike's neighbour moons Marth and/or Roy as a not-so-subtle reference. But I may have that little config fun myself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 12:51 AM, The White Guardian said:

Thank you! I'll release a hotfix this afternoon. :)

Wait, where did you end up putting Froth? As a trojan of Eeloo around Sarnus? Or somewhere else? It might be a cool Rhea or Chariklo analog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Wait, where did you end up putting Froth? As a trojan of Eeloo around Sarnus? Or somewhere else? It might be a cool Rhea or Chariklo analog.

I actually put it around Neidon because both Sarnus and Urlum have an abundance of moons, therefore I decided to give Neidon some love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

I actually put it around Neidon because both Sarnus and Urlum have an abundance of moons, therefore I decided to give Neidon some love.

Ah. Is it the Proteus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Ah. Is it the Proteus?

I didn't really have a specific moon to make Froth an analogue of in mind, so it's up to the player I suppose. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow... I see SPE is still in great hands. :D

Sorry for my long absence, but I think I got burnt out of KSP. I've been playing a lot of Space Engineers recently, and I think I started to enjoy it more than KSP... don't worry though, I still plan on returning someday to KSP for sure. :) Most likely when I get a new PC, but at least I know that this mod, which technically sprouted in my head 2 and 1/2 years ago now, has finally become a real thing, from the simple concept of DunaPlus and EvePlus... and wow, is it gorgeous! Wishing you all the best! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had an idea. You could reuse the old moon textures to give Jool more moons... Maybe you could rename the old Grillian 'Thanatos' or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

I just had an idea. You could reuse the old moon textures to give Jool more moons... Maybe you could rename the old Grillian 'Thanatos' or something

Those were not textures... the older versions of SPE used no heightmaps and were all entirely procedural, save for Driea. Therefore I could reuse the codes indeed, though old Grillian would be the only suitable candidate, and because old Grillian and new Grillian are mostly identical, there isn't really a need for that. Of course, there is no set number of moons, soooo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Wow... I see SPE is still in great hands. :D

Sorry for my long absence, but I think I got burnt out of KSP. I've been playing a lot of Space Engineers recently, and I think I started to enjoy it more than KSP... don't worry though, I still plan on returning someday to KSP for sure. :) Most likely when I get a new PC, but at least I know that this mod, which technically sprouted in my head 2 and 1/2 years ago now, has finally become a real thing, from the simple concept of DunaPlus and EvePlus... and wow, is it gorgeous! Wishing you all the best! :D

I'm very glad to hear you like what I did to the moons with the last update! :)
I got burnt out of KSP too a while ago and started playing Overwatch more and more, and I recently picked up Space Engineers again too, so... :blush:

Anyhow, I'm so glad I got to do that idea justice. It's still not finished however.

For the next update of SPE, I have several things planned. From surface dust to KSPedia integration. From a massive science overhaul to adding some more lore to the moons. This is only just beginning. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

For the next update of SPE, I have several things planned. From surface dust to KSPedia integration. From a massive science overhaul to adding some more lore to the moons. This is only just beginning. :wink:

Kewl.. may want to add checking your Experiment defs to your list, since a naming loophole using EXPERIMENE_DEFINITIONS[*], seems to have been closed in MM 3.0.x, meaning lots of mods' definitions have now been "broken"

Edited by Stone Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Those were not textures... the older versions of SPE used no heightmaps and were all entirely procedural, save for Driea. Therefore I could reuse the codes indeed, though old Grillian would be the only suitable candidate, and because old Grillian and new Grillian are mostly identical, there isn't really a need for that. Of course, there is no set number of moons, soooo...

I'm currently doing a grand tour and have some extra fuel and I'm out at Jool. If I moved old Grillian to Jool and renamed it would that be considered cheating? New Grillian will still be at Moho and be visited separately. I've been thinking on the idea for a few days and I figured asking it's developer would give me an official answer. Heck if possible you can tell me what the old grillian's new orbit should be and I'll edit the configs myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Kewl.. may want to add checking your Experiment defs to your list, since a naming loophole using EXPERIMENE_DEFINITIONS[*], seems to have been closed in MM 3.0.x, meaning lots of mods' definitions have now been "broken"

Thanks for the heads up! :)

12 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

I'm currently doing a grand tour and have some extra fuel and I'm out at Jool. If I moved old Grillian to Jool and renamed it would that be considered cheating? New Grillian will still be at Moho and be visited separately. I've been thinking on the idea for a few days and I figured asking it's developer would give me an official answer. Heck if possible you can tell me what the old grillian's new orbit should be and I'll edit the configs myself.

If anything it'd be an extra challenge because lava.

As for the orbit, I kinda guessed it for Klan. You could always edit it in-game through HyperEdit. Note that HyperEdit will not save orbit adjustments made to planets to those planets' config files, therefore note the values and paste them into the config afterwards.

I'd do it for you were it not for the fact that I'm typing my fingers off at the moment, Evolution's source code is gonna be massive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I'd do it for you were it not for the fact that I'm typing my fingers off at the moment, Evolution's source code is gonna be massive...

If you want I can wait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

If you want I can wait

Well... considering I still have a very long way to go with Evo, that's gonna be a long wait. You're probably better off making the patch yourself.

For that, download an older version of SPE, take old Grillian's config file and maps and add them to the latest version (of course, rename them to not overwrite stuff) then update the filepaths in the config to link to the correct textures. After that you need to update the name of the generated cache file, the name of the moon (there cannot be two objects named Grillian) and update the orbit data to move it to Jool.

referenceBody: the celestial body that this object orbits

inclination: the angle (in degrees) between the equator of the referenceBody and the orbit

eccentricity: the ratio between the semi-major and semi-minor axis (basically the greater the eccentricity, the more oval-shaped the orbit is. Should always be smaller than 1)

semiMajorAxis:  the average distance from the object to referenceBody (the radius of the orbit if eccentricity is 0). Keep in mind that this counts from the core of the referenceBody.

longitudeOfAscendingNode: (in degrees) rotates the orbit around the vertical axis of the universe

argumentOfPeriapsis: (in degrees) rotates the orbit around the vertical axis of the orbit (basically, for oblate orbits, this allows you to rotate where the moon shouts out to)

meanAnomalyAtEpoch: (in radians) the placement of the object along the orbit at t=0. Use meanAnomalyAtEpochD if you want to enter this in degrees instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.