[1.2.2] Half Size RSS v1.7 (Updated 2-8-2017)

pap1723

5 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

If you could, please try this for me to see if it fixes the problem...

GameData/HalfRSS/Planets/Earth/Earth.cfg

On line 10, change the value from 30 to 1

Should now read flightGlobalsIndex = 1

Testing Rn one sec.

Yea that fixed it i think

Edited by Stinky

Hey also I have a quick question, did you maintain the atmosphere curves that are present in RSS? I was just reading a post in the Realistic Atmospheres thread made by OhioBob (Mod Author of RA, also apparently the person who wrote the atmosphere curves for RSS) and he was saying that the Realistic Atmospheres mod is not required if you're playing on RSS because the atmosphere curves in RSS are already realistic. Was just wondering if you've kept the same atmosphere curves that RSS had or if you've modified them at all? (Just asking because I like Realistic Atmospheres)

Also here's the post I'm referring to in that thread.

Edited by CoriW

Just now, CoriW said:

Hey also I have a quick question, did you maintain the atmosphere curves that are present in RSS? I was just reading a post in the Realistic Atmospheres made by OhioBob (Mod Author of RA, also apparently the person who wrote the atmosphere curves for RSS) and he was saying that the Realistic Atmospheres mod is not required if you're playing on RSS because the atmosphere curves in RSS are already realistic. Was just wondering if you've kept the same atmosphere curves that RSS had or if you've modified them at all? (Just asking because I like Realistic Atmospheres)

Also here's the post I'm referring to in that thread.

@OhioBob was actually kind enough to write the atmosphere curves for this mod so they are realistic as far as I understand them to be.

11 hours ago, Stinky said:

Testing Rn one sec.

Yea that fixed it i think

Yep, that is definitely the right fix. I will have that out later today along with the new parameters for the distance of the antennas for RemoteTech.

2 hours ago, Nago said:

Thanks so much !! This mod is all I've been waiting for to play Kerbal again ! Thank you thank you thank you ! Keep the amazing work :wink:

Good! I appreciate you saying that and I hope you are enjoying it!

17 hours ago, CoriW said:

Hey also I have a quick question, did you maintain the atmosphere curves that are present in RSS? I was just reading a post in the Realistic Atmospheres thread made by OhioBob (Mod Author of RA, also apparently the person who wrote the atmosphere curves for RSS) and he was saying that the Realistic Atmospheres mod is not required if you're playing on RSS because the atmosphere curves in RSS are already realistic. Was just wondering if you've kept the same atmosphere curves that RSS had or if you've modified them at all? (Just asking because I like Realistic Atmospheres)

The atmospheres in HalfRSS use a modified version of the RSS atmospheres.  They've been rescaled a little bit and have some of the very thin upper parts truncated.  I think this makes the atmospheres fit the scaled down size of the planets better then had we used unmodified RSS atmospheres, or simply applied a factor to them.  The atmospheres lie somewhere between RSS and SSRSS.  For instance, in RSS Earth's atmosphere has a height of 140 km, in SSRSS it is 70 km, and in HalfRSS it is 100 km.

Edited by OhioBob

3 minutes ago, Table said:

Sorry if this is just me, but this oddly looks exactly like SSRSS by sDaze and Berlin :huh:

sDaZe and Berlin's SSRSS is what inspired me to make this mod as you will see in the first post. I actually used only textures from NathanKell's RSS. Honestly, it should look just like their mod as we are all depicting Earth and the Real Solar System. Their mod is great, but it is stock sized. Many players want more of a challenge over stock size without having to make the jump to full scale RSS.

This mod is designed to be a nice middle ground between the two.

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

The atmospheres in HalfRSS use a modified version of the RSS atmospheres.  They've been rescaled a little bit and have some of the very thin upper parts truncated.  I think this makes the atmospheres fit the scaled down size of the planets better then had we used unmodified RSS atmospheres, or simply applied a factor to them.  The atmospheres lie somewhere between RSS and SSRSS.  For instance, in RSS Earth's atmosphere has a height of 140 km, in SSRSS it is 70 km, and in HalfRSS it is 100 km.

Ah okay! That's great actually. Thanks for the clarification. :)

1 hour ago, Goody1981 said:

This looks amazing - definitely installing! Thanks so much for your hard work :)

Do you know if this is compatible with distant object enhancement?

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it is compatible with Distant Object Enhancement.

Is this basically meant for Sandbox mode? I have only done one flight so far, and it was with a Career game with Tier 4 technology (a little Tier 5 but not much), and just getting to orbit is intimidating. It's going to take 3k more dV easily than the saved ship I was using for orbital flights on Kerbal (it has 4.2k dV). My flight burned up in the atmosphere when the heat shield failed after the orbital burn at 110km failed. I'm not afraid to think outside the box, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get over the early Career hurdles to get to the technology necessary to conquer the parameters of 0.5RSS Earth.

5 minutes ago, Zenji said:

Is this basically meant for Sandbox mode? I have only done one flight so far, and it was with a Career game with Tier 4 technology (a little Tier 5 but not much), and just getting to orbit is intimidating. It's going to take 3k more dV easily than the saved ship I was using for orbital flights on Kerbal (it has 4.2k dV). My flight burned up in the atmosphere when the heat shield failed after the orbital burn at 110km failed. I'm not afraid to think outside the box, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get over the early Career hurdles to get to the technology necessary to conquer the parameters of 0.5RSS Earth.

Hi Zenji,

It is definitely more difficult to get to orbit, needing about 6.4k dV to get there. Playing true stock will be difficult, but I recommend playing a mod like Unmanned Before Manned as it is MUCH easier to get a light probe into orbit than a heavy capsule. This is what happened in real life and that is part of the reason I wanted to make a mod like this to make it harder to get a Kerbal into orbit straight from the start.

Hi ! I have a little problem with the mod, in suborbital flights, the transition between the ground texture and the zoomed out texture from space is really strange and mess a lot with the immersion feeling :

HcHq6Ma.jpg

Other mods installed :

[x] Science!
EasyBoard
EasyVesselSwitch
RasterPropMonitor
KAS
KIS
Kerbal Engineer Redux
Automated Science sampler
Persistent Rotation
Precise Maneuver
Remote Tech
Scansat
TransferWindowPlanner
TweakScale
Unmanned Before Manned

Thanks a lot for your time and help !

19 minutes ago, Nago said:

Hi ! I have a little problem with the mod, in suborbital flights, the transition between the ground texture and the zoomed out texture from space is really strange and mess a lot with the immersion feeling :

HcHq6Ma.jpg

Other mods installed :

[x] Science!
EasyBoard
EasyVesselSwitch
RasterPropMonitor
KAS
KIS
Kerbal Engineer Redux
Automated Science sampler
Persistent Rotation
Precise Maneuver
Remote Tech
Scansat
TransferWindowPlanner
TweakScale
Unmanned Before Manned

Thanks a lot for your time and help !

You don't have anything like Scatterer installed?

Update to Version 1.4

• Updated visual effects of atmopsheres

None of the updates would ruin any saved games you have going so you should not have to restart anything if you used a previous version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.