[1.2.2] Half Size RSS v1.7 (Updated 2-8-2017)

pap1723

@pap1723 You have single-handedly became one of my biggest heroes in the KSP community! Thank you very much for releasing this fine mod... my work weekend is coming up, and I plan on installing this and testing it out during my weekend. Once again, thank you very much for your contribution!

8 hours ago, pap1723 said:

You don't have anything like Scatterer installed?

Just curious about this, does this mod have any known issues with Scatterer to your knowledge? (I use Scatterer, I've yet to install this mod.)

1 minute ago, fallout2077 said:

@pap1723 You have single-handedly became one of my biggest heroes in the KSP community! Thank you very much for releasing this fine mod... my work weekend is coming up, and I plan on installing this and testing it out during my weekend. Once again, thank you very much for your contribution!

I appreciate that @fallout2077, but I can only take very little of the credit As Issac Newton said, "If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."

Almost everything I have done is to use the great work of others and build on it to create this mod. The real heroes are guys like @NathanKell and the Kopernicus team.

1 minute ago, CoriW said:

Just curious about this, does this mod have any known issues with Scatterer to your knowledge? (I use Scatterer, I've yet to install this mod.)

No issues that I know of. I use it in my build.

By this weekend (possibly sooner) I will have an optional download for cloud configs and other visual improvements that will add to the immersion of the game.

2 hours ago, pap1723 said:

I appreciate that @fallout2077, but I can only take very little of the credit As Issac Newton said, "If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."

Almost everything I have done is to use the great work of others and build on it to create this mod. The real heroes are guys like @NathanKell and the Kopernicus team.

You're being far too modest! The thing to remember is that you filled a niche that the community wanted, and yes, you have used the assets created by others,  but you have combined them in a way that no one else has done, and in a way that quite a few of us desired. I can't say it enough,  but thank you for your effort and your contribution! 

6 minutes ago, fallout2077 said:

You're being far too modest! The thing to remember is that you filled a niche that the community wanted, and yes, you have used the assets created by others,  but you have combined them in a way that no one else has done, and in a way that quite a few of us desired. I can't say it enough,  but thank you for your effort and your contribution! 

@pap1723 Absolutely have to agree with this. I've always wanted to try out RSS but the jump was just too far from stock and it was you who had that spark of initiative to actually fill that gap. You don't give yourself enough credit, so I'll say again what I've said before; Thank you for the awesome mod and keep up the great work! :wink:

So I finally got around to installing this and I've just started up my first save so I decided to take a peek in the tracking station at all the planets. Well, I seem to be missing Europa?

4bbd09f9650c5731edecadd798c0e07e.png

Any ideas of what could have caused this? Also would this be my end or yours? @pap1723 

EDIT: Alright apparently I've done something horribly wrong.. Upon taking a look at Oberon I'm faced with this..

966a360f700ebec55ecee94ea42a0268.jpg

EDIT: Upon further inspection I'm also missing Miranda, Ariel and Umbriel... I'm going to attempt to re-install and see what happens.

EDIT: Alright after looking at the install instructions again (they're pretty straight forward) and re-installing the mod, I'm still having the same problem unfortunately.

EDIT: So initially I started with the 8k textures, so I decided that I'd try the 4k textures to see if that'd help anything. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the issue, maybe it could be a conflict with another mod? Maybe I'll try removing some mods and see if that'll fix the problem.

EDIT: Alright so I've gone ahead and removed all of the mods from my install, leaving only Half RSS and it's dependencies. Unfortunately the issues of the missing moons and spiky Oberon are still present. There's only 2 other things I can think of to try.. I'll continue to edit this post with my findings.

EDIT: Okay so originally I hadn't used the dependencies that were bundled in the download as I already had them from installing other mods that also used the same dependencies. So I figured that maybe if I used the ones bundled with Half RSS that it may fix the problem... Unfortunately it did not. After doing that I figured that maybe my save file was corrupt, so I loaded up a new save and checked, once again to find that the problem had not been fixed. The only other thing that I can try is completely re-installing KSP in it's entirety and seeing if the problem persists after that. If the problem still persists after that then I'm going to feel absolutely confident that this is an issue with the mod itself, and nothing on my end.

EDIT: So I've completely re-installed KSP, Half RSS, and it's Dependencies and unfortunately the problem still persists. So now that I've ruled out absolutely everything that I could be doing wrong (to my knowledge) I'm now going to assume that the mod itself has some sort of problem. Can anybody else who is using this mod confirm? I'll also post my output_log as well as my KSP.log files.

(Output_Log) (KSP.log)

EDIT: Here's the Kopernicus logs as well. (Kopernicus Logs)

Edited by CoriW

5 hours ago, CoriW said:

So I finally got around to installing this and I've just started up my first save so I decided to take a peek in the tracking station at all the planets. Well, I seem to be missing Europa?

4bbd09f9650c5731edecadd798c0e07e.png

Any ideas of what could have caused this? Also would this be my end or yours? @pap1723 

EDIT: Alright apparently I've done something horribly wrong.. Upon taking a look at Oberon I'm faced with this..

966a360f700ebec55ecee94ea42a0268.jpg

EDIT: Upon further inspection I'm also missing Miranda, Ariel and Umbriel... I'm going to attempt to re-install and see what happens.

EDIT: Alright after looking at the install instructions again (they're pretty straight forward) and re-installing the mod, I'm still having the same problem unfortunately.

EDIT: So initially I started with the 8k textures, so I decided that I'd try the 4k textures to see if that'd help anything. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the issue, maybe it could be a conflict with another mod? Maybe I'll try removing some mods and see if that'll fix the problem.

EDIT: Alright so I've gone ahead and removed all of the mods from my install, leaving only Half RSS and it's dependencies. Unfortunately the issues of the missing moons and spiky Oberon are still present. There's only 2 other things I can think of to try.. I'll continue to edit this post with my findings.

EDIT: Okay so originally I hadn't used the dependencies that were bundled in the download as I already had them from installing other mods that also used the same dependencies. So I figured that maybe if I used the ones bundled with Half RSS that it may fix the problem... Unfortunately it did not. After doing that I figured that maybe my save file was corrupt, so I loaded up a new save and checked, once again to find that the problem had not been fixed. The only other thing that I can try is completely re-installing KSP in it's entirety and seeing if the problem persists after that. If the problem still persists after that then I'm going to feel absolutely confident that this is an issue with the mod itself, and nothing on my end.

EDIT: So I've completely re-installed KSP, Half RSS, and it's Dependencies and unfortunately the problem still persists. So now that I've ruled out absolutely everything that I could be doing wrong (to my knowledge) I'm now going to assume that the mod itself has some sort of problem. Can anybody else who is using this mod confirm? I'll also post my output_log as well as my KSP.log files.

(Output_Log) (KSP.log)

EDIT: Here's the Kopernicus logs as well. (Kopernicus Logs)

Thank you very much for your detailed and organized method of troubleshooting and bug fixing. You have helped to eliminate the problems one by one and I will detail them below. Without the process you went through and the log files you sent, it could have taken much longer.

Europa: I had fat fingered an extra / into the file and now it is fixed

Miranda, Ariel, Umbria: Right before I released, I converted .PNG files over to .DDS to save memory and loading time. When I uploaded for the textures, I used the DDS files. However, in my own testing folder, I still had the PNG. I didn't notice the error because they worked fine in my testing. I have corrected the entries in the files and they will appear normally from now on.

Oberon: So for the first version of the mod, I entered Oberon's radius into the file as 380.700. This created a planet that was too small to exist, but the game had data for it so it created the porcupine mess that you posted. I immediately caught this in my testing and I fixed it. HOWEVER, the cache files of the planets that exist to speed up the loading process had the old version of Oberon loaded in. When I created the new versions and uploaded them, I include my Cache folder (which contained the bad Oberon config) and caused this error for the users. Long story short, I learned to clear out my cache for each new version and this should not be an issue going forward any longer.

NEW VERSION TO BE POSTED SHORTLY

Update to Version 1.5

**YOU MUST DELETE THE HalfRSS FOLDER FROM YOUR GameData FOLDER PRIOR TO INSTALLING THIS UPDATE**

• The update will not break any of your saves
  • Fixed an issue where Europa, Umbriel, Oberon, Ariel and Miranda were not showing up in game. Thanks to @CoriW for troubleshooting!

Github: https://github.com/pap1723/HalfRSS/releases/tag/1.5

Spacedock: http://spacedock.info/mod/787/Half Size RSS

7 hours ago, pap1723 said:

Thank you very much for your detailed and organized method of troubleshooting and bug fixing. You have helped to eliminate the problems one by one and I will detail them below. Without the process you went through and the log files you sent, it could have taken much longer.

No problem, I just wanted to make sure that I covered all possibilities and ensured that it wasn't an issue on my end.

7 hours ago, pap1723 said:

Update to Version 1.5

Thanks for the quick fix for the issue. :)

Edited by CoriW

@pap1723 Hey so I still seem to be missing Europa, here's the exception that I found in the Kopernicus log.

[LOG 03:04:10]: Exception Was Recorded: Access to the path 'C:/Users/Cori/Desktop/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData\HalfRSS/Planets' is denied.
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Utility.SerializeMesh (UnityEngine.Mesh mesh, System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Utility.UpdateScaledMesh (UnityEngine.GameObject scaledVersion, .PQS pqs, .CelestialBody body, System.String path, System.String cacheFile, Boolean exportBin, Boolean useSpherical) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Body.Kopernicus.Configuration.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.Configuration.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Now just looking at it, it seems to be the same error as it has before. For now I'm going to assume it's on your end, so be sure to let me know if you need me to check anything.

4 hours ago, Smu said:

Europa was still too shy to show itself because of yet another unwanted "/" in line 9 in your Europa config file:

cacheFile = HalfRSS/Planets//Cache/Europa.bin

:P

4 hours ago, CoriW said:

@pap1723 Hey so I still seem to be missing Europa, here's the exception that I found in the Kopernicus log.

[LOG 03:04:10]: Exception Was Recorded: Access to the path 'C:/Users/Cori/Desktop/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData\HalfRSS/Planets' is denied.
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean isAsync, Boolean anonymous) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Utility.SerializeMesh (UnityEngine.Mesh mesh, System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Utility.UpdateScaledMesh (UnityEngine.GameObject scaledVersion, .PQS pqs, .CelestialBody body, System.String path, System.String cacheFile, Boolean exportBin, Boolean useSpherical) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Body.Kopernicus.Configuration.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.Configuration.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Now just looking at it, it seems to be the same error as it has before. For now I'm going to assume it's on your end, so be sure to let me know if you need me to check anything.

You are 100% correct. This is what happens when you are editing files in one area and not copying them to the correct spot to upload! Hotfix coming soon!

Version 1.5.1

• Europa Hotfix (actually included the correct file this time)

Github:https://github.com/pap1723/HalfRSS/releases/tag/1.5.1

Spacedock: http://spacedock.info/mod/787/Half Size RSS?ga=+3102+'kerbal+space+program'>

3 minutes ago, ricardoguedes21 said:

When you will include this mod in CKAN?

When I first released I sent a request to CKAN, but maybe I did it wrong since it obviously did not work.

I also clicked on the CKAN button when I uploaded to Spacedock.

Can anyone write a CKAN file for me? Or let me know what I did wrong?

Looks really good. I'll give this a try since my 6.4x scale game is getting a bit stale. 

Any thoughts on SMURFF use with this? I'm thinking that 0.4 lever might work well. Then again, I've also been wanting to try Kerbal Research and Development, which doesn't work well with SMURFF, so maybe this is the time to make the switch.

Edited by Norcalplanner
Typos

Well after messing around in HSRSS for awhile I've found that even it is too big of a jump for me... Probably going to switch over to SSRSS for awhile just to get used to the whole "entire solar system being inclined" thing, then I'll probably come back to this again later once I've got the hang of it. Anyways @pap1723 I wish you the best of luck with this mod and keep up the good work. :wink:

Okay.  I admit.  I am an idiot.  I can't get this thing to work.

1. I unzip the main file and copy the three folders inside to my KSP GameData folder.  I have ModManager installed already.
  2. I download the Half RSS textures-master folder, open it and I select the HalfRSS-4096 folder and copy it to my KSP GameData folder
    1.   Bzzzzzt!  Doesn't work.  Gets to the end of the loading screen with the little Kerbal system spinning in the lower right and that's it. 
  3. So then I move it to the HalfRSS folder.
    1.   Bzzzzzt! Doesn't work.

Obviously, I'm not doing this correctly.

Can someone give me a friendly smack in the back of the head and explain what I'm doing wrong?  Please?

Thanks ahead of time.

10 minutes ago, thomash said:

Okay.  I admit.  I am an idiot.  I can't get this thing to work.

1. I unzip the main file and copy the three folders inside to my KSP GameData folder.  I have ModManager installed already.
  2. I download the Half RSS textures-master folder, open it and I select the HalfRSS-4096 folder and copy it to my KSP GameData folder
    1.   Bzzzzzt!  Doesn't work.  Gets to the end of the loading screen with the little Kerbal system spinning in the lower right and that's it. 
  3. So then I move it to the HalfRSS folder.
    1.   Bzzzzzt! Doesn't work.

Obviously, I'm not doing this correctly.

Can someone give me a friendly smack in the back of the head and explain what I'm doing wrong?  Please?

Thanks ahead of time.

The folder of the textures needs to be named RSS-Textures. Go here: https://github.com/pap1723/HalfRSS-Textures/releases And download one of the ZIP files. They will be named correctly for you.

Got it.  Thanks.  I was installing the parent folder of the RSS-Textures folder. So of course it didn't work.

That said, WOW!  It's beautiful.  I took a peek at the Moon and it's breathtaking.  Thanks for creating this mod.

On 7/4/2016 at 8:21 AM, JONATHAN HILLLZ said:

Hi so i installed everything including textures and when i loaded the game it was still stock ksp.

Can you please tell what did i do wrong. Thanks.

Hi @JONATHAN HILLLZ, it is hard for me to say what you did wrong since the install is pretty straightforward. As a help, if you are installing Half Size RSS on a clean install of KSP, these are the only folders that you should have in GameData:

Kopernicus

ModuleFlightIntegrator

HalfRSS

Squad

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.